Issue after replacing chain

Mathers

I replaced my chain yesterday and my shifting went to crap.
The drivetrain has about 800 miles.
I measured the chains counted the links.
I didn’t expect that the limits would change on the derailleur but the chain was jumping into the wheel. I seemed to have gotten straight now but I’m thinking I need a new cassette as well.
Did I screw something up here ?

The Kalmyk

Don't know what you're using but some chains must be set to the correct orientation. They would have a forward and reverse side to them.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wrong chain conjecture

Indexed jockey wheels not right postulate.

Broken jockey wheel axiom

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seriously- wouldn't expect it to now have overshifting issues
just from a new chain (it is the right speed, yes?)

More of a concern would be a fresh chain on a worn cassette, but I that would skip,
not cause it to over shift.

Edit: did you accidentally clean the limit screws when you were replacing the chain?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I replaced my chain yesterday and my shifting went to crap.
The drivetrain has about 800 miles.
I measured the chains counted the links.
I didn’t expect that the limits would change on the derailleur but the chain was jumping into the wheel. I seemed to have gotten straight now but I’m thinking I need a new cassette as well.
Did I screw something up here ?
My 11spd chains have been lasting around 500-700 miles on my 5010. The upper range is when everything is brand new. So, there is a chance you trashed your cassette, especially if it is a sram cassette, which dont seem to be very durable.

Mathers

It is a Sram XG1150 going to get a replacement. I thought I'd go the cheap route and try the chain but usually things usually go this way when you do that.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This imo is perfect for my fatbike. Going to place an order this weekend is it's available.

This is stupid heavy for a 9-Speed group. NX level weight at XO level pricing will make this a hard sell. The cheap group might be cool for a beater but I don't imagine the quality to be good. Stick with SLX or GX.

qclabrat

This is stupid heavy for a 9-Speed group. NX level weight at XO level pricing will make this a hard sell. The cheap group might be cool for a beater but I don't imagine the quality to be good. Stick with SLX or GX.
Hmmm, didn't even consider the weight, need more research...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
is it a through axle? maybe the wheel isn't in the right place?

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom