Issue after replacing chain

Mathers

I replaced my chain yesterday and my shifting went to crap.
The drivetrain has about 800 miles.
I measured the chains counted the links.
I didn’t expect that the limits would change on the derailleur but the chain was jumping into the wheel. I seemed to have gotten straight now but I’m thinking I need a new cassette as well.
Did I screw something up here ?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seriously- wouldn't expect it to now have overshifting issues
just from a new chain (it is the right speed, yes?)

More of a concern would be a fresh chain on a worn cassette, but I that would skip,
not cause it to over shift.

Edit: did you accidentally clean the limit screws when you were replacing the chain?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I replaced my chain yesterday and my shifting went to crap.
The drivetrain has about 800 miles.
I measured the chains counted the links.
I didn’t expect that the limits would change on the derailleur but the chain was jumping into the wheel. I seemed to have gotten straight now but I’m thinking I need a new cassette as well.
Did I screw something up here ?
My 11spd chains have been lasting around 500-700 miles on my 5010. The upper range is when everything is brand new. So, there is a chance you trashed your cassette, especially if it is a sram cassette, which dont seem to be very durable.

Mathers

It is a Sram XG1150 going to get a replacement. I thought I'd go the cheap route and try the chain but usually things usually go this way when you do that.

jimvreeland

Shop: Hilltop Bicycles
Shop Keep
This imo is perfect for my fatbike. Going to place an order this weekend is it's available.
This is stupid heavy for a 9-Speed group. NX level weight at XO level pricing will make this a hard sell. The cheap group might be cool for a beater but I don't imagine the quality to be good. Stick with SLX or GX.

qclabrat

This is stupid heavy for a 9-Speed group. NX level weight at XO level pricing will make this a hard sell. The cheap group might be cool for a beater but I don't imagine the quality to be good. Stick with SLX or GX.
Hmmm, didn't even consider the weight, need more research...