Is this too much hike a bike on the red trail?

Nicholas

Banned
So I went to Tourne for the first time ever. I don't really have a compass and reading a map without one is kind of pointless, so I just went aimlessly around. I should have at least used the map initially to study what trails are meant for bikes.

I think Tourne is a bit over-rated. It seems to take alot of familiarity to learn to stay on the trails meant for mountain biking.

I decided to go on the red trail alot but noticed there were way too many rocks at several points to get uphill past or downhill so I did alot of hike a bike. Even though you are not supposed to go there, is it necessary to hike a bike there or:
1) Do I suck that much?
2) Does my lower end 26" hardtail bike suck that much?

bill-now

Doomed
I suspect that the Red trail to the East (Mountain Lakes side) of the White Trail is where you are having problems. I rarely ride this side because of the baby heads and also due to the questionably legality.
The Red trail on the West (Denville) side is much easier and probably bike legal. There are also a number of other intertwining trails on that side.

I've ridden the West Side trails on an even more low end bike (Trek 4500) than yours. Whether it is you or your bike that sucks in something that you have to decide.;)

The Tourne is OK for a quick ride but I wouldn't consider it a place I would drive to.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I went to Tourne for the first time ever. I don't really have a compass and reading a map without one is kind of pointless, so I just went aimlessly around. I should have at least used the map initially to study what trails are meant for bikes.

I think Tourne is a bit over-rated. It seems to take alot of familiarity to learn to stay on the trails meant for mountain biking.

I decided to go on the red trail alot but noticed there were way too many rocks at several points to get uphill past or downhill so I did alot of hike a bike. Even though you are not supposed to go there, is it necessary to hike a bike there or:
1) Do I suck that much?
2) Does my lower end 26" hardtail bike suck that much?

it's not over rated, it is what it is: a smallish park with limited trails that's great for a quick spin. no, it doesn't have the variety of most of the other parks but what do you expect from a park jammed in the middle of morris county?

also, there isn't anything in the tourne that's not rideable. there is also very little in the tourne that is illegal. i can think of one trail in particular that i know for 100% fact is illegal. if you don't know where it is, don't worry about it...and based on your comments above, you shouldn't be riding it anyway (not throwing you under the bus, just sayin').

to answer your questions, my guess is you just haven't been riding enough yet. keep at it, you'll be fine. and no, your "low end" bike does not suck. the technology on that bike is light years ahead of the 1989 trek Antelope 850 that i started on.

BAIN

pretty sure there is only one trail that you might need to hike a bike on and that is the last section going from the ranger station up the back side of the tourne (not the road).

every other trail besides the one part of the white is legal to ride.

if you are local, tourne is a great place to put in a decent 8+ without doing many repeats.

plenty of hills, plenty of rock/root, single track, nothing really tech and pretty straight forward to navigate.

like bonefish said, keep at it and you will do fine!

bruce.b

Dickwad
pretty sure there is only one trail that you might need to hike a bike on and that is the last section going from the ranger station up the back side of the tourne (not the road).

every other trail besides the one part of the white is legal to ride.

if you are local, tourne is a great place to put in a decent 8+ without doing many repeats.

plenty of hills, plenty of rock/root, single track, nothing really tech and pretty straight forward to navigate.

like bonefish said, keep at it and you will do fine!

Ranger station? The Tourne is pretty much all ridable even on a rigid singlespeed. Like everyone said, ride lots.
bruce.b

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ranger station? The Tourne is pretty much all ridable even on a rigid singlespeed. Like everyone said, ride lots.
bruce.b

i was wondering the same thing bruce. is that the building on the denville side or something?

bill-now

Doomed
What's the story on the hiker only maze fence on the red trail near the ball fields? It seems odd that you can go from Mountain Lakes towards the Boonton side and the fence "blocks" the last 50 yards.

I don't think there is a ranger station; the only official presence I've noticed is the Park Police and they tend to stay in their cars.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I watched a guy do the whole park a few weeks ago on a walmart NEXT brand bike. I think that sums up the Tourne.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I watched a guy do the whole park a few weeks ago on a walmart NEXT brand bike. I think that sums up the Tourne.

that sums up the tourne? really? one could make similar arguments about LM, KVSP, deer park and lower stephens.

for what it is, it's perfect. i used to live on the tourne...wish i did again. i didn't realize how good i had it.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
that sums up the tourne? really? one could make similar arguments about LM, KVSP, deer park and lower stephens.

for what it is, it's perfect. i used to live on the tourne...wish i did again. i didn't realize how good i had it.

Well isn't there something new in your neighborhood now. ;)

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well isn't there something new in your neighborhood now. ;)

i've been told by people in the know that it's "not worth it yet" to ride there. they told me when it was they'd let me know but they have done so yet... :D

but i'd love to check that place out.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i've been told by people in the know that it's "not worth it yet" to ride there. they told me when it was they'd let me know but they have done so yet... :D

but i'd love to check that place out.

Okay I guess you have a point there but I just want to get the place hyped up. I'm out of town this weekend but can give you a tour the following Saturday sometime or an afterwork ride.

BAIN

"Ranger station? The Tourne is pretty much all ridable even on a rigid singlespeed. Like everyone said, ride lots.
bruce.b "

The only way I can get you there is if you are climbing the left side of the Tourne on the gravel road and keep looking to the left for a wash out across from large rocks. The trail goes down the opposite side and loops left to the ranger station on the Denville side entrance.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay I guess you have a point there but I just want to get the place hyped up. I'm out of town this weekend but can give you a tour the following Saturday sometime or an afterwork ride.

just pm me some directions. :)

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
"Ranger station? The Tourne is pretty much all ridable even on a rigid singlespeed. Like everyone said, ride lots.
bruce.b "

The only way I can get you there is if you are climbing the left side of the Tourne on the gravel road and keep looking to the left for a wash out across from large rocks. The trail goes down the opposite side and loops left to the ranger station on the Denville side entrance.

that's the trail i thought you were talking about. i didn't realize that was a ranger station though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions