Is this America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I also believe neither side has a right to riot.

Agreed.

Going into "not educated enough to speak on this topic" area here, but whatever. I think there's a real slippery slope that happens when this is the scenario:

1. People assemble to object to "thing"
2. It starts peacefully (I believe the literary folk call this line "foreshadowing")
3. Local government decides that the number of people is above their comfort level
4. Local government decides to say "fuck the First Amendment" due to whatever reason it likes
5. I won't write out the rest other than to say "hilarity ensues"

On a sort of related note, I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 recently and I found it to be a pretty good movie. This movie also sheds some light on what @UtahJoe was saying - shit was way way way worse back then. The reality of the cell phone renders that scenario impossible these days. There's no way law enforcement would go hog wild on protestors with that many cell phones around.

Also of note - the movie Fruitvale Station, which tells a story where the incident was caught on film. Of course, the white officer that shot the black guy ended up serving a year after being sentenced. If you really want to read yet another story about a fucked up system, it can be found here. So I guess these guys can't totally get away with it. But it's not exactly eye-for-an-eye territory there.

I digress.

roc

Agreed.

Going into "not educated enough to speak on this topic" area here, but whatever. I think there's a real slippery slope that happens when this is the scenario:

2. It starts peacefully (I believe the literary folk call this line "foreshadowing")
3. Local government decides that the number of people is above their comfort level
4. Local government decides to say "fuck the First Amendment" due to whatever reason it likes

On a sort of related note, I watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 recently and I found it to be a pretty good movie. This movie also sheds some light on what @UtahJoe was saying - shit was way way way worse back then. The reality of the cell phone renders that scenario impossible these days. There's no way law enforcement would go hog wild on protestors with that many cell phones around.

Also of note - the movie Fruitvale Station, which tells a story where the incident was caught on film. Of course, the white officer that shot the black guy ended up serving a year after being sentenced. If you really want to read yet another story about a fucked up system, it can be found here. So I guess these guys can't totally get away with it. But it's not exactly eye-for-an-eye territory there.

I digress.
Jesus, 2 years for killing someone. Wow. Even if it really was an accident (which after my 5 min read of a wiki page, doesn’t sound like one), that seems very light.

TimBay

Agreed.

I digress.
I mean, there's a difficult nuance to that scenario. Like, people shouldn't block a highway as their right shouldn't supercede somebody else's rights. Same with looting and rioting. As to too many people, that's difficult. Same with the crowd yesterday...their 1st ammendment also mixed with their 2nd ammendment, but the 2nd one can cause concern toward violence and safety. So, I have to feel for law enforcement and those governing who have to try and determine how to manage those rights with the safety of the public. To the point of many on here, there have been examples where the color of the skin in which the protest is about can also be a factor in how those rights are managed.

Fat Trout

@Norm @Patrick how was 14 pages of this suitable or helpful for a biking forum? I come here to think about things other that the garbage force fed by the idiots on both sides that I can't avoid elsewhere in life. I liked what I thought was your previous policy of keeping a short leash on politics. I have my positions and feelings, but they don't enter biking for me and when they do I go elsewhere. No need for your ban hammer. I'm putting myself in time out.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm @Patrick how was 14 pages of this suitable or helpful for a biking forum? I come here to think about things other that the garbage force fed by the idiots on both sides that I can't avoid elsewhere in life. I liked what I thought was your previous policy of keeping a short leash on politics. I have my positions and feelings, but they don't enter biking for me and when they do I go elsewhere. No need for your ban hammer. I'm putting myself in time out.

It’s just 2 days. Given the gravity of things I think the outlet is needed. I mean 2 days out of the last year really isn’t too bad. We can move on from this in the morning.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
There’s a thread with 7k posts about the coronavirus and a post about wawa pretzels.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Uhh, that's why it's in the Off-Topic thread. The "Ignore" button is your friend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom