IS THERE ANY MTB RIDING IN STATEN ISLAND???

scooter77

The trails have alot of potential but unfortunately no one takes care of them. The ones people use of course are more worn in. You can definitely tell the unused ones very overgrown grass and downed trees.
20190804_101046.jpg

Mumonkan

lol was this out of a trail that went down out of the golf course parking lot? thats the steepest line on the island but it goes nowhere and isnt worth your time imo.

avoid that trail with the logs, they made a better squiggly trail that parallels it and is way better in either direction

wander around up there on the white trail near the nature center and theres a secret line thats a hell of a climb or a cool little ass dragger option downhill

scooter77

The steep one is on the right side goon up Rockland Ave near that parking cove. The log one isn't bad little washed away on the other side of Rockland where the 3 steps down are.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
lol was this out of a trail that went down out of the golf course parking lot? thats the steepest line on the island but it goes nowhere and isnt worth your time imo.

avoid that trail with the logs, they made a better squiggly trail that parallels it and is way better in either direction

wander around up there on the white trail near the nature center and theres a secret line thats a hell of a climb or a cool little ass dragger option downhill
Hey guy!

bobkennelly

Well I've been going here now for several months probably close to three dozen times at this point on my lunch break getting in 10 mile to 12 mile rides couple times a week at least lot of fun over there. Definitely can kill 90 minutes I was over there twice this week I think I have the whole place pretty much down in my head now

trener1

Maybe I can meet up with you sometime for a lunch ride, would love to see where the trails are

trener1

Ok cool.
I will be touch hopefully soon, I work in Brooklyn so I can take a long lunch one day.

bobkennelly

If you’re ok with cowboy trails you can get in a 40 mile day in with about 3k ft of elevation. Ive ridden these trails since I was a little kid and they’re probably the best (and only) thing Staten Island has to offer.

Every trail in the nyc park system prohibits bikes with the exception of Wolfe’s pond, Cunningham, and Highbridge park.

That being said I know some of the rangers here and see them on trail all the time and I’ve never had a problem. The only harassment you’ll get if any will be from dog walkers that don’t put their dogs on a fucking leash anyway.

The white trail would be a green, and the red blue and yellows would be more blue. There’s a couple sections you could consider black. Terrain is very similar to hartshorne with a little bit less rocks.

If you do come here, I would actually park in the softball lot near Costco on forest hill rd, especially if you’re there on the weekend. Go during the week if possible if you want to hit up the northern sections like high rock park and todt hill. If you’re there during the weekend stay away from the central high rock park region as it gets swarmed with tourons that dont pay attention as well as kids camp groups.

There is also a Boy Scout camp in there that you don’t want to be riding on especially on the weekends when they’re camping. If there is no one there there is a water spigot right off the blue/yellow trail that has pristine spring water and is a delight during summer.

If anyone is interested I’d be happy to play tour guide for a day, but I won’t have much time to play for a few weeks as work has me traveling all over.

Also there are ticks. Many ticks. They all have Lyme disease. Check your gooch. Ask me how I know.
It's funny I'm reading this now which is probably a year old but I've been going to greenbelt on a regular basis for the last 3-4 months and I believe I know about 95% of it like the back of my hand. Still discovering little offshoot rails which just basically boomerang back to the main ones. But as you say these are cowboy trails as you put it a little rough a little rugged not the best maintained trails but this week I put in 40 miles over three days which is fantastic for me. Since I only do have a midday break I believe they call it lunch. But thank you for all that in put itsfunneh reading it now a year later and I'm very familiar with all the things you're saying and the parking lots as well take care if you ever want to meet there some day soon I can always meet you at the Costco lot around 11 in the morning or so thanks again

Rockbottom

This is the trail that climbs to the top of Moses mountain (man made). Intersection of rock land and manor rd. The grade is way too steep and in my opinion, unrideable. But if someone hits it, take some video and share it! Would love to see someone able to ride this trail!

Top Bottom