IS THERE ANY MTB RIDING IN STATEN ISLAND???

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Wolfs pond is legal riding. There has actually been a lot of trail work done there this year. Also there is a lot of trails in what they call the “greenbelt”, a section of woods that runs through the middle of the island. I’ve never ridden there so can’t give any intel on the quality of the trails though.

bobkennelly

Wolfs pond is legal riding. There has actually been a lot of trail work done there this year. Also there is a lot of trails in what they call the “greenbelt”, a section of woods that runs through the middle of the island. I’ve never ridden there so can’t give any intel on the quality of the trails though.

Actually, I just stopped by there this morning, got a trail map...going to give it a try on the cross bike, also, I did do all the cyclo cross races there 4-5 years ago as well, when I did talk to the parks guy, he said go across the street as well, not a bad trail network he said...thx for your imput,,,perhaps next week I shall give it a try..

Supermoto

A lot of wolfe pond is rooty, so a CX bike wouldn't be the best. The greenbelt doesn't officially allow biking. I don't think any of the trail signs say that its banned, so people don't know. I've done a lot of "hiking" there and the trails are good, 35 miles worth

bobkennelly

A lot of wolfe pond is rooty, so a CX bike wouldn't be the best. The greenbelt doesn't officially allow biking. I don't think any of the trail signs say that its banned, so people don't know. I've done a lot of "hiking" there and the trails are good, 35 miles worth
Thank you very much. So when you say green belt are you talking about basically the paved pathway that runs along the outer perimeter of the island in some spots?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Thank you very much. So when you say green belt are you talking about basically the paved pathway that runs along the outer perimeter of the island in some spots?
Or note the squiggles from Strava heat map:
D862FD2D-9305-4D0C-B83C-2A4E3263972E.png

Rockbottom

For what Staten Island offers, the greenbelt (High Rock Park) offers the best trails for biking IMO. There are some fun singletrack there and you can get a moderate amount of elevation gain with all the rolling hills. That being said, riding there is technically prohibited. I rarely get harassed, however there have been a few people (rangers, hikers) in the past that have given me a hard time. I’d recommend parking in the lot in Nevada ave off of Rockland Avenue or you can park near the intersection of Manor and Meisner. There are a number of intersecting trails from there.

Mumonkan

If you’re ok with cowboy trails you can get in a 40 mile day in with about 3k ft of elevation. Ive ridden these trails since I was a little kid and they’re probably the best (and only) thing Staten Island has to offer.

Every trail in the nyc park system prohibits bikes with the exception of Wolfe’s pond, Cunningham, and Highbridge park.

That being said I know some of the rangers here and see them on trail all the time and I’ve never had a problem. The only harassment you’ll get if any will be from dog walkers that don’t put their dogs on a fucking leash anyway.

The white trail would be a green, and the red blue and yellows would be more blue. There’s a couple sections you could consider black. Terrain is very similar to hartshorne with a little bit less rocks.

If you do come here, I would actually park in the softball lot near Costco on forest hill rd, especially if you’re there on the weekend. Go during the week if possible if you want to hit up the northern sections like high rock park and todt hill. If you’re there during the weekend stay away from the central high rock park region as it gets swarmed with tourons that dont pay attention as well as kids camp groups.

There is also a Boy Scout camp in there that you don’t want to be riding on especially on the weekends when they’re camping. If there is no one there there is a water spigot right off the blue/yellow trail that has pristine spring water and is a delight during summer.

If anyone is interested I’d be happy to play tour guide for a day, but I won’t have much time to play for a few weeks as work has me traveling all over.

Also there are ticks. Many ticks. They all have Lyme disease. Check your gooch. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

chaloots

A while back we resurrected the dirt jump lines in back of the princess bay train station area in the wolfe pond section. With the help a friend who runs XC running races we eventually we got park dept approval and even got some help from kids that had to perform community service. that section was eventually recognized as park of the trail network (if you can call it that). there is some double track in there and trail across the blvd as well. lots of posion ivy too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/nyregion/13metjournal.html

they were running good for a while

Last edited:

Mumonkan

i wish those kids kept taking care of them, every time i go it looks totally abandoned and abused with blunt wraps and beer bottles everywhere.

it would be awesome to have a bonafide pump track here on the island, i feel like that wouldn't be a hard sell

-

find me on strava, its mostly gonna be commuting to work on the greenway and shredding gnar in other states but ive logged many many miles on our trails so itll give you a good idea of whats going on there

scooter77

I was just out in HighRock today I start on Altamont next to the cemetary it gives you few options on trail direction and street parking. Some trails you just ride into overgrown or washed out trails. I see more mtb riders on the trails than hikers. The trails span a good section of the island for anyone who wants to check them out. We should get a group ride together. I know where I'm goin by landmarks but the trails aren't so clearly marked. I attached a great trail map.

Attachments

• High Rock.pdf
    620 KB · Views: 888
Top Bottom