Is there a HR monitor watch?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run a Garmin head unit and always have a Garmin 245M on my wrist.

While the heart-rate transfer function from the watch to the head unit works great, it's god-awful inaccurate.

If you're using it for any serious metric and you're active, it's useless. I use HR for running and watch based HR is 100% useless. If I'm just riding around I'll use the watch to send the HR as it's good enough. Any racing/training situation, no way. Road riding it's less of an issue, but still an issue.

If you need accuracy you need either the armband style, or for best accuracy a chest heart rate monitor. If you just want a # to be recorded on Strava, any old Garmin watch that re-transmits the signal would work great, and also tell time.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I run a Garmin head unit and always have a Garmin 245M on my wrist.

While the heart-rate transfer function from the watch to the head unit works great, it's god-awful inaccurate.

If you're using it for any serious metric and you're active, it's useless. I use HR for running and watch based HR is 100% useless. If I'm just riding around I'll use the watch to send the HR as it's good enough. Any racing/training situation, no way. Road riding it's less of an issue, but still an issue.

If you need accuracy you need either the armband style, or for best accuracy a chest heart rate monitor. If you just want a # to be recorded on Strava, any old Garmin watch that re-transmits the signal would work great, and also tell time.
I am not a serious rider.... I ride for fun and a weekend warrior I suppose... but that doesn't mean that an improvement in fitness is not a goal and I think my biggest weakness is cardio. With that being said, I would want to know where my baseline is and where my threshold is. TBH, going by feel should be good enough, but seeing a number/data tends to motivate me more? and I want to be smarter about how I ride. I am a pretty lazy guy and this laziness tends to dictate how much effort I put in and tells my body that its tired when its really not. I want to know how much of what I am feeling is physical or mental. Besides.... who doesn't like wasting money on some gadgets? :D
Only thing is... not looking to spend a boat load of money either.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am not a serious rider.... I ride for fun and a weekend warrior I suppose... but that doesn't mean that an improvement in fitness is not a goal and I think my biggest weakness is cardio. With that being said, I would want to know where my baseline is and where my threshold is. TBH, going by feel should be good enough, but seeing a number/data tends to motivate me more? and I want to be smarter about how I ride. I am a pretty lazy guy and this laziness tends to dictate how much effort I put in and tells my body that its tired when its really not. I want to know how much of what I am feeling is physical or mental. Besides.... who doesn't like wasting money on some gadgets? :D

There's probably a labor day sale somewhere on an armband style. That's my vote.

Accurate enough, not crazy expensive, comfortable.

That being said, if you're OK with chest strap, you can buy them for basically $20 off amazon from random companies and they work well.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I said you could have my chest HRM that I never use, how much cheaper do you want? I'm not going to pay you to take it. :p
Lol
I am really considering your generous offer but I don't want to take it just for the sake of taking it if that makes any sense.

one piece crank

.... who doesn't like wasting money on some gadgets? :D

I got an Apple watch as a gift almost two years ago. I wasn't sure about it, but reached a point where I just dove in to figure out the conduits, then it became an extension of my phone for every important App. Most important for you, it logs health data to the Health App which you can then share with other Apps. And the heart rate monitor is like 90+% accurate

02camaro

that can connect with a Garmin head unit for cheap?
i read through most of the thread but didnt finish so admitingly may have missed something.

when i first wanted to track heart rate date i didnt want to wear the strap so i checked garmins websites to see what kind of watches they had that would fit my needs. i really only wanted it for time telling and heart rate. i found the vivosport smart, which is pretty good for what it is and cheap. it tracks heart rate and tells you time and can even track a run/walk/swim/ride if you want. the screen is small, the user interface is a little chunky but it does the job. i left it on 24/7 and it synced hr data right to the garmin app on your phone. when you want to ride you put it in transmit mode and it outputs hr data to your garmin. battery life was in the 7day range

i noticed the hr data for regular activities was fine but the bike riding was erratic. it wouldnt react fast enough to what i was doing on the bike. it would miss short sprints where heart rate would be elevated, it was fine for a general idea of what your heart is doing but it was far from accurate in comparison to a strap. sooooo i ditched it and ran a strap instead and went back to a regular wrist watch for time telling. but then i realized i liked have hr data for the whole day so i went searching again on garmin and found the instinct solar.

i use this watch only for time telling and all day heart rate monitoring, i still use the strap for riding. i love it. battery life is great, for the features i use i can get over 30 days on a charge and that can be supplemented by solar power to extend even longer.

im sure im missing stuff so any questions just ask.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
i read through most of the thread but didnt finish so admitingly may have missed something.

when i first wanted to track heart rate date i didnt want to wear the strap so i checked garmins websites to see what kind of watches they had that would fit my needs. i really only wanted it for time telling and heart rate. i found the vivosport smart, which is pretty good for what it is and cheap. it tracks heart rate and tells you time and can even track a run/walk/swim/ride if you want. the screen is small, the user interface is a little chunky but it does the job. i left it on 24/7 and it synced hr data right to the garmin app on your phone. when you want to ride you put it in transmit mode and it outputs hr data to your garmin. battery life was in the 7day range

i noticed the hr data for regular activities was fine but the bike riding was erratic. it wouldnt react fast enough to what i was doing on the bike. it would miss short sprints where heart rate would be elevated, it was fine for a general idea of what your heart is doing but it was far from accurate in comparison to a strap. sooooo i ditched it and ran a strap instead and went back to a regular wrist watch for time telling. but then i realized i liked have hr data for the whole day so i went searching again on garmin and found the instinct solar.

i use this watch only for time telling and all day heart rate monitoring, i still use the strap for riding. i love it. battery life is great, for the features i use i can get over 30 days on a charge and that can be supplemented by solar power to extend even longer.

im sure im missing stuff so any questions just ask.
This did it... thank you sir
@GSTim let me know when I can pick up the strap :)

Top Bottom