Is there a HR monitor watch?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
prolly a pain to pull up my shirt to see the time
it seems there is nothing out there that does what I want and is cheap (sensor cheap)... such is life I guess.

man boobs... Ill show you my cleavage one of these days.

i think they make a monitor/bro combo.

The ManzierHR ?

1599227480379.png

The Kalmyk

I have a Garmin watch but havent tried to connect it to the edge 520. If you find out this works, i will sell it to you on the cheap...

image.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Its the 235 and yours for a whopping $50 😁

its 8months old. I used it through the winter and havent used it since
Aren't you somewhere in the south pole? Cuz I'm in the north pole.
In which case... would you ship?
If so... lmk your PayPal and will send you $55?

Karate Monkey

My $0.02. I have a Vivoactive 3 that I use(d) for logging purposes. I also ride with a head unit/heart rate strap.

Comparing the two of them after a ride gives an average reading that is within 2-5%. The momentary reading is, to be succinct, less than accurate. I suspect two things: the optical sensor/software isn't up to snuff (unlikely, since the average is pretty close), or the polling rate is slower compared to the head unit/strap. Being that I don't record using the watch, the polling rate is defaulted to/can't be changed from 'smart'.

What I surmise from this is that the watch sucks for picking up rapid changes (as in intervals/shortish punchy climbs), but does okay with sustained efforts. Climbing up a hill, the watch will lag behind 20-30 seconds whatever the strap is reading. When a climb is only 30-180 seconds, that makes a pretty big difference if you are using the watch to gather immediately useful data. Read into that what you may...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My $0.02. I have a Vivoactive 3 that I use(d) for logging purposes. I also ride with a head unit/heart rate strap.

Comparing the two of them after a ride gives an average reading that is within 2-5%. The momentary reading is, to be succinct, less than accurate. I suspect two things: the optical sensor/software isn't up to snuff (unlikely, since the average is pretty close), or the polling rate is slower compared to the head unit/strap. Being that I don't record using the watch, the polling rate is defaulted to/can't be changed from 'smart'.

What I surmise from this is that the watch sucks for picking up rapid changes (as in intervals/shortish punchy climbs), but does okay with sustained efforts. Climbing up a hill, the watch will lag behind 20-30 seconds whatever the strap is reading. When a climb is only 30-180 seconds, that makes a pretty big difference if you are using the watch to gather immediately useful data. Read into that what you may...

There's really two things in play with the wrist heart rate having issues:
-It's not measuring the actual electrical change of the HR, it's looking at blood flow, + an algorithm to figure out HR. There's a lot of things that affect that, including the color of your skin (lighter leads to better measurement), hair on the arm, how tight the band is with no light leaking in, the actual hardware on the watch.
-Activity leads to movement where the watch isn't tight on the skin. It's recommended it should be TIGHT.

But yeah, if all you're looking at is overall HR #s, it's just fine. It's just never accurate enough for quick and accurate changes if you're training by HR. And even if it works 80% of the time, that 20% will screw you when the #s are all over the place.

one piece crank

@Paul H - You got me thinking about heart rate tracking, so I dug into my Watch & iPhone conduit a little more. Since HR data is right there, why not use it, right?

The Watch feeds data to the iPhone Activity App, which also has a Workout function, and, Workout appears as a separate App on the watch. I trigger the Workout from the watch screen and it lets me choose from a variety of activities, the most relevant to me is Outdoor Cycling, but it has a dozen other indoor & outdoor workout modes. You can set the workout to Open (you just ride until you tap stop), or a defined distance, time etc. The cycling workout collects the following data.
  • Total Time
  • Distance
  • Active Calories / Total Calories
  • Elevation Gain and Min/Max
  • Average Heart Rate
  • Hear Rate Graph
  • Heart Rate Recovery Graph
  • Average Speed (with Splits for each mile)
  • Weather stats
  • Map Data
After some trial and error, and a few ride duplications, I now have it set-up so my workout data gets imported to Strava and/or Ride with GPS. Everything comes through - even map data and segments. All the data goes to my Health App as well, which can be shared with other apps like MyFitnessPal.

Now, starting each ride is as simple as tapping my watch! No need to access the phone in my frame bag, and zero investment in whacky head units.

@Santapez - There is something to be said for accuracy, but for me, taking an occasional glance at my HR while riding/recovering, there is no need for atomic accuracy. I googled Apple Watch HR accuracy and found all kinds of studies. However, a 2019 Runners World article (comparing them to an electrocardiogram (ECG) + Polar H7 chest strap heart monitor) claimed: “The Apple monitor was the most accurate of the wrist devices at all paces. For example, at 9 mph, the Apple monitor was off by 1.5 beats per minute, compared to almost 3 beats per minute for the Garmin…“

I know a true power meter is missing, but the core data and HR is good enough for me - trying to maintain and improve my fitness - but not truly Training.

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Santapez - There is something to be said for accuracy, but for me, taking an occasional glance at my HR while riding/recovering, there is no need for atomic accuracy. I googled Apple Watch HR accuracy and found all kinds of studies. However, a 2019 Runners World article (comparing them to an electrocardiogram (ECG) + Polar H7 chest strap heart monitor) claimed: “The Apple monitor was the most accurate of the wrist devices at all paces. For example, at 9 mph, the Apple monitor was off by 1.5 beats per minute, compared to almost 3 beats per minute for the Garmin…“

I know a true power meter is missing, but the core data and HR is good enough for me - trying to maintain and improve my fitness - but not truly Training.

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that if you aren't training off the instantaneous #s and just looking at it in the historical aspect, the data you get is good enough.

And a quick glance at the Runner's World experiment, it's on a treadmill, which isn't really similar to outdoor running or worse, cycling. But that being said, I have no experience with the Apple Watch but I would just assume the HR monitor on it is pretty good. Apple seems to be aiming for the "health" aspect even more than the fitness aspect on their watches and trying to make a medical device.

@Pearl Did you get the Coros?

Lou P74

May have missed some info on thread so sorry if this is repetitive or late..... I previously used a Garmin HRM chest strap with Edge 520+.... battery would die, occasionally some connection issues, at times uncomfortable. Looked at armband HR sensors and ended up getting a Polar OH. pretty compact.. can place on forearm or bicep. pretty accurate. It charges via USB. Can even use for swimming I think. I follow DC rainmaker reviews - and made decision based on that between Wahoo, Schosche, and Polar units. Good Luck.

Top Bottom