Is the Surge Finally Over?

goldsbar

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a sizeable reduction in trail usage. Wondering if it's just me and random luck or if others have noticed the same thing. I've been to Wayway on beautiful days and the parking lot isn't remotely full. It seemed like half the state was at Stephens, but even that's going back to normal. Wildcat still seems a little elevated, but it's never crowded once you're on the trails. Same with Allamuchy. I've even ridden in Lewis Morris without getting run over.

Cassinonorth

Yep. Did a hike at Minsi a couple weeks back and didn't have to stab anyone for a parking spot on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Even Tammany parking has been reasonable and that place looked like Woodstock last year.

bi12.jpg

Ian F

Possible. I did a lap at Pennypack last weekend and while the parking lot was reasonably full of park users, it wasn't as packed as this time last year. We didn't see another rider on the trails at all, which we did find rather surprising.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Not a soul to be seen midday at Nassau yesterday, but traffic both directions on 287. Things are getting back to normal.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was at Newman's Lane at 6:30 yesterday and the lot was almost full. Not people parking on the grass level though.

robcleary

6 mile still gets stupid busy. I stopped on my way up to north around 8am a few weeks ago and the Blue lot was already stuffed (granted on a Saturday). Weekdays though are primo if you can swing it.

Also I'm afraid you're stuck with at least one Covid-MTBer convert. I got into it last spring, but I've been sucked in too far 😅

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I think the return of non-scholastic sports (Little League, rec soccer, etc.) has played a role in this. Allaire and Hartshorne/Huber were literally overrun with families at this point last year, but that’s not been the case as of late.

@Mitch and I rode Hartshorne/Huber yesterday, on a gorgeous afternoon, and the parking lots were nearly empty.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the return of non-scholastic sports (Little League, rec soccer, etc.) has played a role in this. Allaire and Hartshorne/Huber were literally overrun with families at this point last year, but that’s not been the case as of late.

@Mitch and I rode Hartshorne/Huber yesterday, on a gorgeous afternoon, and the parking lots were nearly empty.
The small lot at Huber was empty when we rode by it. Thats a 1st for like 2 years.

Mooch and SSP seem to be slowing down a little. The iron gate still gets busy but I think kids sports making a comeback and NY/NJ reopening will certainly have a substantial impact on bennies and karens.

Top Bottom