Is the inflated Bike market finally crashing?

Johnny Utah

Off track but I've always found the $7,500 credit really odd. The government wants to (incentivize?) people to get more electric cars on the road while doing jack shit about the infrastructure to support it.
The goal is to put less people in cars.

I just sold my 2018 diesel, after 81k miles with a Cummins engine, the amount of soot in the exhaust meant it needed replacement which has to be done at the dealer. Almost near $4k, plus additional $$$ for the turbo actuator. Need tooling and computers to code this nonsense - dealer tools. Delete it and you go in the bad boy data base and are subject to State Police spot checks (I know a guy who was just hit for this - $10k fine and truck impounded). All this nonsense helps keep a truck like this less affordable to the masses - try towing a trailer across the country with an electric truck - Ford did and they needed to stop and charge every 100 miles - that must be fun in middle America where it is difficult to get a fresh cup of coffee let alone a charge.

The goal is to just make it too expensive for everyone to afford. They started this with cash for clunkers over ten years ago - took all the easy to fix / affordable cars off the road.

We are in a huge push for the US to consume less and stay home.

one piece crank

The goal is to put less people in cars.

I just sold my 2018 diesel, after 81k miles with a Cummins engine, the amount of soot in the exhaust meant it needed replacement which has to be done at the dealer. Almost near $4k, plus additional $$$ for the turbo actuator. Need tooling and computers to code this nonsense - dealer tools. Delete it and you go in the bad boy data base and are subject to State Police spot checks (I know a guy who was just hit for this - $10k fine and truck impounded). All this nonsense helps keep a truck like this less affordable to the masses - try towing a trailer across the country with an electric truck - Ford did and they needed to stop and charge every 100 miles - that must be fun in middle America where it is difficult to get a fresh cup of coffee let alone a charge.

The goal is to just make it too expensive for everyone to afford. They started this with cash for clunkers over ten years ago - took all the easy to fix / affordable cars off the road.

We are in a huge push for the US to consume less and stay home.
Yeah, I can’t imagine really needing to tow, and having to own a modern diesel monstrosity. What a crap show.

26''_Ripper

Bike market is still a stalemate the sellers don't want to lower their asking prices just yet. I've been looking for a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo or Specialized Enduro and so far no deals.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
If you are willing to build a frame Specialized had a killer sale going on Stumpy Evo framesets not too long ago. Not sure if that is still a thing…

Cassinonorth

If you are willing to build a frame Specialized had a killer sale going on Stumpy Evo framesets not too long ago. Not sure if that is still a thing…

Nah prices are back to normal, they need to fund their new 15 million dollar building

Or maybe they'll just lay more employees off in a few months.

26''_Ripper

Yup prices are back to normal hopefully they come down by spring my bike is a little too clapped out and I don't want to upgrade parts.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Nah prices are back to normal, they need to fund their new 15 million dollar building

Or maybe they'll just lay more employees off in a few months.

I think Specialized can buy the state of Colorado for what they pay in rent in NYC :oops:

Steve Vai

Yup prices are back to normal hopefully they come down by spring my bike is a little too clapped out and I don't want to upgrade parts.

Dropping prices back to original MSRP will take out whatever LBS are left. 99.9% of the product on their floor was purchased during Covid Inflation and when the companies drop MSRP they'll be losing money with every sale. If you people want LBS' around, now's the time to do some shit, otherwise you're all about them getting steamrolled by Trek and Specialized.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Dropping prices back to original MSRP will take out whatever LBS are left. 99.9% of the product on their floor was purchased during Covid Inflation and when the companies drop MSRP they'll be losing money with every sale. If you people want LBS' around, now's the time to do some shit, otherwise you're all about them getting steamrolled by Trek and Specialized.

All part of the "cycle" - they have to pay the regional people and the area people and manager, which are overhead to the shop.
suddenly the area will become unprofitable on a percentage basis, and they'll close the shop, claim they are getting back to their core business.
the customers didn't leave, they are still there.
New shop opens, start cycle again. Single owner, that works on bikes, and sales, etc....earns enough to make it worth it.
maybe even enough to make it worth a bike co to buy it.

rick81721

Lothar

I thought retail bike sales thru shops was dying anyway and LBS would just to assembly and repair.

Steve Vai

All part of the "cycle" - they have to pay the regional people and the area people and manager, which are overhead to the shop.
suddenly the area will become unprofitable on a percentage basis, and they'll close the shop, claim they are getting back to their core business.
the customers didn't leave, they are still there.
New shop opens, start cycle again. Single owner, that works on bikes, and sales, etc....earns enough to make it worth it.
maybe even enough to make it worth a bike co to buy it.

OMG. The amount of regional and support people that bring nothing to the table and still pull a Salary is absurd.

rick81721

Lothar
Repair Shop model doesn't work in a building. People are getting lazier and lazier. If you don't drive to their house yesterday and have their bike done the day before that for pennies on the dollar they ain't interested.

The Florida mobile repair guy model!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OMG. The amount of regional and support people that bring nothing to the table and still pull a Salary is absurd.

yup - i went through it in the technical consulting industry.

A "shop" with a recruiter, a couple sales people, and a manager couldn't spend all the money they made.
So they would sell the business to a bigger company that installed "the hierarchy" and get a two year contract for work,
and another 1 year non-compete - then as competition entered, and margins per sales went down,
it was less desirable (the co was purchased by NYNEX before IPO) - so they attempted to raise their prices,
without any differentiation. it quickly went upside down.

Vertical integration isn't all it is made out to be.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom