Is the inflated Bike market finally crashing?

Takedown

Not sure if this has been posted prior, or been discussed in previous threads, but do you guys think the inflated used (especially used) and new bike markets are starting to deflate? I am starting to see price cuts but still feel that some prices need to come down a bit more. And do you think I should wait to buy a used bike until prices come down more or are the prices just fine the way they are currently?

bergsnj

prices are not going to come down unfortunately. I have seen some sales on bikes but prices don't go down. Used market will obviously cool off but new prices aint going down. Same goes for everything else that you now pay more for

Reactions: R0B

one piece crank

Set a realistic target for your used bike, and stick to it. Try to buy through the rider network too (rather than random online). Lots of inflated pricing over the past 3 years...

qclabrat

The 'good' bikes will keep their value especially if carbon. Older bikes will drift down as people with less knowledge bought them at pandemic pricing thinking all suspensions were the same. If you're looking for a boost bike with meaty rims and decent parts, price will still be a premium. Though people tend to sell bikes in droves in the winter, so keep your eyes peeled for quick sales.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I was just online yesterday trying to price one my bikes for sale, and it seems that prices for used may be holding stable, but they are not selling as fast and places like pros closet is no longer taking older bikes. I have no idea what this means for the future but bike shops are reporting an ease in supply chain issues. How much? I have no idea, but I am hoping buying a new bike is easier than a few years ago.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Give us what your looking for, ask and you may find something right here that you can swing a leg over.

Takedown

Agree Qclabrat, the frenzy and pandemic buying made every bike sellable, and at a premium, that is definitely gone. But yes, it does seem the more well known brands that are well specced out have more resilient elevated prices.

Takedown

I was just online yesterday trying to price one my bikes for sale, and it seems that prices for used may be holding stable, but they are not selling as fast and places like pros closet is no longer taking older bikes. I have no idea what this means for the future but bike shops are reporting an ease in supply chain issues. How much? I have no idea, but I am hoping buying a new bike is easier than a few years ago.
That's interesting that Pros Closet is not purchasing older bikes, any idea what year is the cut off?

Takedown

Give us what your looking for, ask and you may find something right here that you can swing a leg over.
lol I bought my first full suspension bike new in 2008 for 1200 bucks, i looked at the prices of new bikes and was like heck no way, so figured I'd get a 5 year old middle tier full suspension bike for 1000 bucks, but then coved happened and things went sideways, been looking again because I see used prices coming down, but now I am thinking I might give it another few more months to see if the prices come down a little more :).

Takedown

Thats a lot of time to have saved for that nee full suspension. Hopefully you find what youre looking for🤘🏻🤘🏻
Actually I made the mistake of riding a new Trek on some trails on my trip to Virginia, rented it for the day and had a blast, it was a big difference from my old bike. But still, I do not ride enough, nor have the budget to spend 2500-3500 on a new bike, anyway us with our first world problems ;)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Supply Chain has calmed down on the MTB side. Prices will remain high because shipping, labor, etc has tripled, and that's not going down ever again. Road and Gravel is still a shit show, I have a dozen or so S-Works Builds on hold for frames or parts. A Sram Red cassette will fetch $700-$1,000 on eBay. I sold 2 used Force Cassettes with 5k miles for $500 each. Still, that's still going on. 28c tubeless tires have been MIA for 2 years.

Ian F

My riding buddy is thinking about a "new" bike, so I did a quick search on the regional FBMP group. It seems used bike prices are starting to stabilize a bit. I found one 2020 model that would fit his needs for $3000.

mtbiker87

lol I bought my first full suspension bike new in 2008 for 1200 bucks, i looked at the prices of new bikes and was like heck no way, so figured I'd get a 5 year old middle tier full suspension bike for 1000 bucks, but then coved happened and things went sideways, been looking again because I see used prices coming down, but now I am thinking I might give it another few more months to see if the prices come down a little more :).
I have something that might fit your needs for around $1000. PM me if interested.

Cassinonorth

Used market is absolutely slowing to a crawl. It's getting saturated, maybe not every bike that was sold in 2020 showing up yet but enough where you can pick and choose. I sold a carbon bike that was $1k under new with all new takeoffs as parts and barely got a single bite.

The people left in the sport don't want the entry level bikes so you can probably get a 2020 Stumpjumper allow or comparable for $2000 at this point. Most likely less if you let the bike sit a week or two. That $2,000 price point appears to be the floor though...any less and you're looking at less modern geometry or well used bikes.

Fire Lord Jim

The Bike Exchange sells only used bikes. We have sold nearly 1,400 used bikes so far this year. That is down from over 1,700 for the same period in 2021, and even more from the crazy 2020 year. That is a pretty good reflection of the demand curve, which means more supply, which should lead to lower prices. However...

...much of that demand was inflated, too. People could not go to gyms, Peloton classes, and needed an actual moving bicycle to feed their routine. Now those gyms are open, and people don't need the bicycle. So why aren't the selling their no longer needed bikes? Here's one for the bike shop guys: When COVID hit and customers could no longer buy new bikes, they brought their old bikes in for repair. So much of this happened that the parts supply market became scarce. Were they bringing in five-year old bikes? No. Thirty-year old bikes with cracked tires. For some reason, people hold onto used bikes for a long time before admitting that they won't ride it again. Maybe people with multiple bikes thin the herd, but people with one bike seem to hang on too long before selling. This may explain why all those COVID bike sales are not re-appearing in the used market.

Takedown

Supply Chain has calmed down on the MTB side. Prices will remain high because shipping, labor, etc has tripled, and that's not going down ever again. Road and Gravel is still a shit show, I have a dozen or so S-Works Builds on hold for frames or parts. A Sram Red cassette will fetch $700-$1,000 on eBay. I sold 2 used Force Cassettes with 5k miles for $500 each. Still, that's still going on. 28c tubeless tires have been MIA for 2 years.
Wow so supply chain issues are still an issue, wonder if they will ever be the same again with all the craziness going on around the world.

Takedown

My riding buddy is thinking about a "new" bike, so I did a quick search on the regional FBMP group. It seems used bike prices are starting to stabilize a bit. I found one 2020 model that would fit his needs for $3000.
Ya, that's way beyond my budget, what bike did he end up getting?

Top Bottom