Is strava going from suck to blow?

gpTron

Just saw my app 'changed' after it was still the old way 30 mins ago. I thought you'd at least be able to see all your old times in a segment. Can't really even do that. That's pretty lame. Also kind of liberating. Now I can use to just log my rides and enjoy myself without caring about times.

Cassinonorth

Here is a interesting take

The thing is....I do. I pay for TrainingPeaks premium. I pay for Garmin Connect by buying their hardware.

Strava's main perks for me are segments to see I finished 145th on a segment because someone forgot to turn off their computer on the drive home so the KOM is 52 mph on a flat road. Or to see what my friends are doing which I can also see on Garmin Connect if I really cared.

Strava just kinda sat on their asses for 10 years and let the rest of the sport apps come and steal their market share. They have so much data it seems impossible to not be able to advertise to us better but here we are.

one piece crank

Here is a interesting take

Quoted from above:

"Strava is fun because other people are on it, because there are other people to beat or get beaten by...
And it started to think of itself as a platform, an athlete’s brand, “the next ESPN,”

Totally not me, so, not paying. I just like to ride my bike and stay healthy.

The Kalmyk

I (did) use their route making function but found GC works just as good. Too bad it isn't free anymore but I guess it didn't make sense to them.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For those looking for a tracking option: Garmin connect has a live tracking feature... Steve and I have been using it lately. Works nicely until your husband sees you finishing up a loop at Lew Mo and assumes you're finished but doesn't realize you were planning another loop and he shows up early to bring you home before it gets too dark... But he brought the cat so there's that.

My Strava stuff just changed. There's a few features I do really like that are gone like comparing past runs on the same route. I may just give the subscription thing a shot. I go back and forth on it. I pay for zwift and with this weather, I'm not exactly riding inside sooooo

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I work for a company that makes money on software that you can get for free, so I feel for Strava. They are not profitable, and they have investors that are eventually gonna want to see a return on their investment. It was a good decision to give it all away for free to build a user base, but that isn't sustainable long term. That said, I think they made a mistake. What's the point in growing your user base if you are just gonna pull a bait and switch and piss them off later? They should put ads in the feed, and then paying $5/month gets rid of the ads. Or go back to making premium features that you have to pay for. Taking away something that has always been free and was the reason for why you should use Strava in the first place is dumb. I'm trying to imagine what my company's user base would do if we just took some of the core features out of the open source version and put them in our enterprise version all of a sudden. That's not really a good comparison though, because then someone would just fork our open source project, but whatev's.

rick81721

Lothar
For those looking for a tracking option: Garmin connect has a live tracking feature... Steve and I have been using it lately. Works nicely until your husband sees you finishing up a loop at Lew Mo and assumes you're finished but doesn't realize you were planning another loop and he shows up early to bring you home before it gets too dark... But he brought the cat so there's that.

My Strava stuff just changed. There's a few features I do really like that are gone like comparing past runs on the same route. I may just give the subscription thing a shot. I go back and forth on it. I pay for zwift and with this weather, I'm not exactly riding inside sooooo

wahoo has a tracking option as well.

https://www.wahooligan.com/users/live/lL4-R6XqOPCqb8LR0CumHQ

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I (did) use their route making function but found GC works just as good. Too bad it isn't free anymore but I guess it didn't make sense to them.
ridewithgps is far more superior than the strava one. just the simple fact you can drop the google maps guy on the map and see the 3d view is enough. and thats free (for now)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't care about the all time leaderboard for segments, but they have apparently also taken away the "My Results" board as well. So I can't look up a segment and see when I rode it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
All I know is Strava is fucking up and opening the door

if they don't own the IP on this stuff, the barrier to entry is very low.

I get notices from one of the other apps/sites that i've set a PR - might be GC, or TF.

The "my results" is the costly one - as they can't pre-process it for everybody (i wouldn't think - given the size.)
I probably would have left the leaderboard, this ride, your PR - and charged for the 'my results, or any other
breakdown ie race/ride/workout, age, weight, but leave gender break-out for free.

They could also break it into "group ride" for road, vs solo effort. The segments on my road are dominated by
the Tour of Somerville coming through at 30mph.

The one thing I would have liked to see is maintenance integration.
Maybe even connected to the shop (like cars are connected to their dealer)
Hit 50 hours, get a reminder to service the fork, etc. Or if ya change your tires,
it knows how many miles/hours were put in on the old ones.
This might actually help those that are less mechanically inclined take care of their bike - like the oil light in the car.

For another stream of income:
How about shop kudos? you come in range of a shop (running or bike or ski/board), and they automatically kudos the activity (assuming privacy is set to do that)
Maybe the shop gets a summary report on what people are riding, how much, and where?

I'm not really sure what 180 people are doing, cause it looks like a 10 person project to me.
perhaps it is 10 people coding, 50 lawyers, 50 accountants, 50 sales people, and some investors?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
if they don't own the IP on this stuff, the barrier to entry is very low.

I get notices from one of the other apps/sites that i've set a PR - might be GC, or TF.

The "my results" is the costly one - as they can't pre-process it for everybody (i wouldn't think - given the size.)
I probably would have left the leaderboard, this ride, your PR - and charged for the 'my results, or any other
breakdown ie race/ride/workout, age, weight, but leave gender break-out for free.

They could also break it into "group ride" for road, vs solo effort. The segments on my road are dominated by
the Tour of Somerville coming through at 30mph.

Hit 50 hours, get a reminder to service the fork, etc. Or if ya change your tires,
This might actually help those that are less mechanically inclined take care of their bike - like the oil light in the car.

For another stream of income:
How about shop kudos? you come in range of a shop (running or bike or ski/board), and they automatically kudos the activity (assuming privacy is set to do that)
Maybe the shop gets a summary report on what people are riding, how much, and where?

I'm not really sure what 180 people are doing, cause it looks like a 10 person project to me.
perhaps it is 10 people coding, 50 lawyers, 50 accountants, 50 sales people, and some investors?

I'll add this to next sprint let's get something delivered and we'll just test in prod if anyone bitches

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
take a look at the strava API -

do you want to compete with strava or build something useful on top of it?

I want to eat their lunch and shit it on them and make it so great @jmanic joins and make his segments 3% longer than actual and I appear higher than he does on every leader board. I'll also ban norm every day mid ride so it doesn't record

jackx

I have 1 pair of running shoes specified in Strava and I receive warnings to replace them after 500 miles of use. I typically walk, not run, so I'm not worried about injury, and I don't update my shoes in Strava.

Perhaps Strava will sent my wife or Nike a Beacon warning at 1,000 miles.

Top Bottom