Is strava going from suck to blow?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Plus it's not like I want to just choose a fun cross race, it's better as a series and then it gets wicked expensive.
Doing a full series these days is crazy expensive. I had plans of doing the full ESC Enduro a couple years ago but after averaging out my first few races it was looking like I'd spend over $5k if I completed the whole thing. It just doesn't make sense unless you are a kid with wealthy parents or a competitive pro that actually gets a pay out for hitting podium.

I was already on the fence about keeping strava but the price hike might seal the deal. It only really seemed worth it when I was actively training for race season.

Trailforks I think I will keep paying for. It is extremely handy when exploring and at least I know my money is going to Outside which I fully support.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny yet not funny. :(

In the end I may just cancel and maybe join in the worst winter months. It was just nice to always have the option to hop on the trainer in any point of the year when it's raining if needed.

Between running when it's dark/wet instead of biking, and moving to a more temperate climate, I don't know how much time on the trainer I plan to spend. I haven't even fully set it up here.
Not to derail this post, but unlike Strava, I think TrainerRoad is a great value and offers a pretty compelling product. I listen to their podcast every week and feel like I know these guys personally. They are such a customer focused company and are so upfront with new services. I would actually pay more for what they offer.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to derail this post, but unlike Strava, I think TrainerRoad is a great value and offers a pretty compelling product. I listen to their podcast every week and feel like I know these guys personally. They are such a customer focused company and are so upfront with new services. I would actually pay more for what they offer.
I would agree with you on the cost if I used it more. When I was going through the plans it was totally worth it, and they have made such huge improvements since I was using it regularly.

Their podcast should come out at 1/3 of the rate it currently does, and have less banter. There just isn't enough to make it a weekly podcast. They remind me too much of when I'd hop on a group road ride and there's the clicky group that don't seem to have lives outside of bikes.

They do a great job of seeing what features would be helpful and then properly implementing them. New adaptive training programs, the training calendar, etc. Nobody seems to do anything like them. While I have zero interest in doing group rides, they went from thinking about doing it to having it out and working within 10 days early on in the Pandemic.

mwlikesbikes

To hell with the strava year in review!
C5551B9A-DC36-4FD9-95CC-436DCED7441C.jpeg

02camaro

since i became a subscriber in 2017, ive logged 901 rides and gave strava $300 of my hard earned sheckles... doing the math thats $0.33 a ride, itd be even less if i didnt log a ride for like 18months. i spend countless time researching routes/segments, analyzing data etc etc pre and post rides, its absolutely worth it. if you dont think it is, hop off that several thousand dollar bike bc that isnt "worth it" either, if you dont want to pay just on principal, put down the IPA or stupid cedar pine cone bark single barrel bourbon bc there are many cheaper alcohols that do just the same thing.

strava keeps me motivated to ride and socialize THAT is invaluable.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
\

Cross races priced me out. There's a point at which it's stupid expensive and $50 is definitely above that point. It's a lot of money for a short race, where double that and you can be doing an all-day event that feeds me. Plus it's not like I want to just choose a fun cross race, it's better as a series and then it gets wicked expensive.

Even if you had all volunteers (i am not a volunteer if seen working a race), including the promoter, for pre-sales, planning, set-up, break down, clean-up.
the real costs....

Venue
Insurance (event + each racer)
UCI (or USAC or whatever) Sanction
Officials
Timing company
Giveaways.
Food for volunteers
Donation to volunteer organization (ie NJCX Project)
Cash prizes to Pro class - per series rules

And i'm sure i missed some

People wait until the last minute to check weather - so the promoter has no idea how many will show -
then if it is a really nice day, there will be a bunch of day-of racers - which is a pain.
Bad weather, crickets.

So to put on a race could be anywhere from a $2,000 loss to $2,000 gain
300 people are not showing up at these events anymore - the series doesn't attract them,
and there are no regional pros that people have to see or race against - so the prize money isn't attracting anyone

So I agree - it is a lot to race for 45 minutes.
Costs for a mtb race are similar - and fewer step-in stakes.
Speaking of which, i towed the cross trailer from hammonton to waway then to cyclecraft this year.
That sucked.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even if you had all volunteers (i am not a volunteer if seen working a race), including the promoter, for pre-sales, planning, set-up, break down, clean-up.
the real costs....

Venue
Insurance (event + each racer)
UCI (or USAC or whatever) Sanction
Officials
Timing company
Giveaways.
Food for volunteers
Donation to volunteer organization (ie NJCX Project)
Cash prizes to Pro class - per series rules

And i'm sure i missed some

People wait until the last minute to check weather - so the promoter has no idea how many will show -
then if it is a really nice day, there will be a bunch of day-of racers - which is a pain.
Bad weather, crickets.

So to put on a race could be anywhere from a $2,000 loss to $2,000 gain
300 people are not showing up at these events anymore - the series doesn't attract them,
and there are no regional pros that people have to see or race against - so the prize money isn't attracting anyone

So I agree - it is a lot to race for 45 minutes.
Costs for a mtb race are similar - and fewer step-in stakes.
Speaking of which, i towed the cross trailer from hammonton to waway then to cyclecraft this year.
That sucked.
Yeah I'm not at all saying it's the promoters ripping me off. I'm just saying on a value basis $50 isn't worth it for a cross race for me. But I've blown $100 on gravel events.

I don't think promoters are charging $50 and then getting into their Rolls Royce.

It's just like Strava premium isn't worth it for me as I don't use most of their features. I won't complain about the cost, I just skip Strava Premium and move on.

iman29

strava keeps me motivated to ride and socialize THAT is invaluable.
This is also a good point and is also true for me not in terms of “well I have to go do more miles then xxxx did” but sometimes just to be like well I see a bunch of folks I know went out or did a workout so I should get off my lazy ass and do something too

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This is also a good point and is also true for me not in terms of “well I have to go do more miles then xxxx did” but sometimes just to be like well I see a bunch of folks I know went out or did a workout so I should get off my lazy ass and do something too
On the downside, it can be depressing seeing all your buddies riding way more than you.

Mtbdog

this is both SUCK and BLOW!

someone else posted this in the frown thread so double posting here. Ive been on Strava for years (since 2013?) and this is irritating they just drop a $20 increase.

I'll complain but probably renew under protest since this is where I keep all my data from my activities but this still sucks and blows...

View attachment 204019
Just saw this. The price increase may only pertain to the UK members?
Screenshot_20230109-081641_Chrome.jpg

Not sure what to make of this.

Top Bottom