is deer park is better in winter than fall?

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
i prefer deer park in the winter than fall. although i was only there one time in each respective season

jorba, closed some trail due to mud this past fall.

yet with a light amount of snow, the entire park was mtb friendly to this beginner/novice

here below is our recent ride on as it appears on motion based

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7257647

one word of caution, as you drive (your car into the lot) via dark park rd. you must proceed with caution as its' a single lane, as the winter progresses, accessing the trail head, could be difficult

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Trail Re-route

That section was not just shut down due to mud. It was rerouted due to several factors: grade, around 18% overall; the seepage of groundwater, which contributed to this section being muddy most of the year; and as a result of the grondwater seep and rainfall, the errosion of the section.

Overall I like DP the best in the middle of summer! Hard and fast!!! And thats not just in the area near the overlook (someone give me a drum hit please!)

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
allamuchy overlook

Overall I like DP the best in the middle of summer! Hard and fast!!! And thats not just in the area near the overlook (someone give me a drum hit please!)
is the overlook, the rest area off of route 80 East?

are we allowed to park at the exit 80 east rest area, and access the trails from there?

Bob W

JORBA.ORG
Well...

Tehcnically no, reason being is that it is DOT property and not part of the Park. So you can get a ticket if caught. Also depending on your prefrences, you might get some attention that you dont want.

That being said, I have parked there to do TM in that section of the PArk with no problems.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
park and ride

thanks for your response

we ussually park via the dark park rd, off 80 exit 19, left just after Maters

do you ride the north side at all?

i am a begginer/intermediate so they (btcnj) recommend stick with the south side for a while

another dude who likes downhill, prefers north side

after sundays ride, i was fatiqued

i only fell once, but it was walking/carrying bike over log

that being said, i hope to head back out to allamuchy deer park soon

thank you

Bob W

JORBA.ORG
Dont let them scare you...

I would say if DP is wearing you out a little after a loop then the North Section will really tirer you out, but thats ok right?

Start out riding from the Tranquility side (on the road behind the farm stand is the trail head; off Rt 517). The climbs are going to be longer than in DP overall, but not more technical on this side of the park. As you get in to the Park from Tranquility it gets more technical. But you can judge this for yourself, everyone is different. Grab a map and start exploring, it a good size park, thre are about 25 miles of makred trail and the same amount unmarked (give or take).

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
allamuchy north side

I would say if DP is wearing you out a little after a loop then the North Section will really tirer you out, but thats ok right?

Start out riding from the Tranquility side (on the road behind the farm stand is the trail head; off Rt 517). The climbs are going to be longer than in DP overall, but not more technical on this side of the park. As you get in to the Park from Tranquility it gets more technical. But you can judge this for yourself, everyone is different. Grab a map and start exploring, it a good size park, thre are about 25 miles of makred trail and the same amount unmarked (give or take).
the fact that climbs might be longer is what keeps it from being book able as a c level ride

giving rides letter categories is like a two edge sword

first of all, if you riding in winter and or at night add one full level to the cat

that being said, there would be no d rides from the middle of september to the end of april.

climbing is an altogether different beast, c riders are c riders cuase they can't climb

that's why they don't do b or a rides

also leading people up hills, they generally curse and scream and want to report you to the higher ups for taking them on such a god forsaken ride

be that as is may, if all bunny hops were less than 4" and all grades less than 3%, mtb wouldn't be the same

that being said, let's do the north side! i have some time between christmas and new years, if anyone is up for up it

Bob W

JORBA.ORG
How about...

How about we look to the Sat after X-mas (12/27). I would call this a social ride (dont do letters). We can firm this up next week based on how the weather is going to look.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
north allamuchy ride

How about we look to the Sat after X-mas (12/27). I would call this a social ride (dont do letters). We can firm this up next week based on how the weather is going to look.
that probably not so good for me as i'll be in south jersey for a few days after christmas

it appears my 'staycation' will include some over nite trips to relatives in and around ny/nj

but i do think i'll be around for most of the final week of '08

last nite i was talking to kin in the catskills, and it appears the noreaster hammered a good part of upstate through maine, some how the storm missed jersey?

my kin recommended checking out frost valley (y) to get back into x-country skiing, as i have my sights on a winter tri in n.h. and/or mass.

that being said my spouse doesn't like the cold, so maybe 2 nights in glouseter county , 2 nights at cape may and back to north jersey to rid 2008 good bye.

from 12/29 - 1/4 is probably better for me

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom