Is anyone else sick?

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have been "ill" for over two weeks. No fever or sore throat, just a persistent cough that will not go away. It started as a tickle in my throat, and seems to be limited to my head/nasal cavity (not settled into my chest). I find myself getting winded easily.

I am at my wit's end with this. I don't feel sick enough to go to the doctor, however, every OTC remedy does not seem to work, and the cough/congestion gets a little worse each day. This has been a depressing episode, to say the least.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been more or less sick for 2 weeks now, at least. I took off 5 days around Christmas and let it do its thing. I'm feeling better finally but not 100%.

My wife said that a friend of her's mentioned that more people have been getting sick this year for some reason or another. Apparently this came from her doctor, though this he-said-she-said Operator game is iffy at best.

How are your eating habits? Amount of sleep? And beer consumption? It's a high time for your body to get beat up with high sugar/alcohol intake which does wonders in making you not get better.

Shaggz

A strong 7
The irony is that I have been pretty good with eating and drinking. I'm not a big pill popper, but I tried to avoid getting sick this year. Prior to getting sick, I was (and still am) eating two oranges, popping a multi-vitamin, vitamin b complex and 3 fish oil tablets per daily. Alcohol consumption has been very low, with no beer and maybe 5 glasses of wine in three plus weeks. Sugar has been in check, with the exception of massive Christmas cookie intake starting on the 24th (I was already "sick" at that point).

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My GF is a nurse at Morristown's pediatric ER. So she is CONSTANLY around sick kids and is always bringing something home. By some miracle, I have not been sick (minus sniffling alergies once in a while) in three years. Not since I have had my tonsils taken out in december of 2005. Have not been sick ever since. No flu, no fever, no bronchitis, no sore throat, nothing more than a sniffle. Maybe its the tonsils? Before I had them out I was sick all the time. Im certainly no clean freak either.

jimjo

yup my kids are sick all the time.. im usually pretty immune to it all but all it takes is one or two bad nights of sleep i get run down and whammo... im sick...happened to me on friday night...

and now im fighting it

Shaggz

A strong 7
My wife works in the schools, and my children go to "school", as well. I usually avoid getting hit with strep, flu, etc when they bring it home. I am starting to think it might be tonsils or ENT related, as well.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You may have just gotten back-to-back colds. That's what I think happened to me.

Frank

Sasquatch
huh...I've been fighting a less than comfortable intestinal issue over the last 2 weeks. I'm home today after a freak fever kept me up most of the night. It's that time of year I guess.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
im not like flu or cold sick, but i woke up with a nasty stomach bug this morning at like 5am. nothing better than waking up feeling like you are suffocating with a throatful of puke. thankgod it went back down and didnt come out of me. i dont want to break my no puking record anytime soon.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wife works in the schools, and my children go to "school", as well. I usually avoid getting hit with strep, flu, etc when they bring it home. I am starting to think it might be tonsils or ENT related, as well.

I was 29 when they took mine out, certainly not common. Mine used to get swollen often, however in august of 2005 they got really bad. My ent gave me tons of different anti biotics over a 4 month period, but nothing worked. So finally he decided to take them out.

I will say that I have broken 14 bones, compounded my leg, concussions, sprains, dislocations.....all did not hurt as bad as getting my tonsils out. It was 3 weeks of misreable pain. When I compounded my tib/fib I missed 4 days of work, my tonsils, I missed 12.

That said, i would do it again tomorrow. It has been the most life changing experience short of losing 90 lbs once in my life. Cured my snoring, cured my sleep apnea, have never been sick again, I dont nod off anymore from not sleeping (snoring). MOST amazing though is my ability to breathe better. Before having them out, it felt like I was breathing with my hand over my mouth.

I mean my case could have been completely unique to me, I dont know. But I feel like a new person since that surgery.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Joe, was your doctor local to Sparta?

Actually no, he was in Denville. His name was Dr. Francis Jampol. His office is on Pocono rd, right near the hospital. I have not seen him since 2006, but I think he is still there. He was the only ENT I had ever been, but I have been very satisfied with his work.

Funny because I always remember people talking about how getting tonsils out would be fun because you could eat ice cream......hahahahaha. The act of swallowing was like someone running a belt sander on your throat. Water ice cream, air! I would try to never swallow, which is like trying not to blink. The only thing I could eat was some ramen noodles that I would let cool to room temp. Not fun! If you ever do it, prepare to be misreable for a couple of weeks. But like I said, I would do it again tomorrow after seeing the results.

BiknBen

I have a history of getting sick this time of year. I often got that 24 hour bug that would purge my insides from all orifices of my body. Good stuff! :drooling:

So far so good this year.

John Baumann

When I first read the title of this thread I thought someone was lookin' to play hooky from work in order to go for a ride... because that's someting I would do.

I'm pretty well now(not quite the million and ten percent I like to feel), but more and more lately I find myself suffering for more time fighting things off than if my body were just to give in to it and get it over with. My diet and lifestyle are very healthy, but basically the only aerobic excercise I get is riding(not much lately). Also, similarly to those who work in schools, I work around senior citizens; I believe the kids and old folks act as human petrie dishes and incubate these germs so we are continually exposed.

When I am sick though it's a tough call as to know when to tough it out and push myself or to take the gentler pampering approach.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I am home now with a nasty head/stomach cold. I was all set to ride yesterday morning, and ended upon the couch all day instead.

Top Bottom