Iron Bridge Road

ArmyOfNone

bring one of these...

jet%20bike.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One last thought before it gets totally off track. If you do this route after work bring lights and a flasher for the rear because you probably won't finish before dark, unless you get out of work early. Riding at dusk is a death-defying proposition at times and on some of those roads people simply aren't going to be looking for a biker at 8-9 at night.

One last thought before it gets totally off track. If you do this route after work bring lights and a flasher for the rear because you probably won't finish before dark, unless you get out of work early. Riding at dusk is a death-defying proposition at times and on some of those roads people simply aren't going to be looking for a biker at 8-9 at night.

right you are, Norm. I was riding 523 in Whitehouse Station on Monday night as dark was approaching and almost got pinched by an SUV that was too close to the shoulder and only saw me when she was right on top of me. To be fair though, she was probably paying more attention to the small herd of deer darting into the road 40 yds ahead of me.

Don't forget that deer activity tends to increase in the evening also, and this area is, if anything, rife with deer.

Mk1Racer

maybe not the entire route but I can do sections of it. I have a 22.5, 25.6 or 32.1 mile loop I ride in that area 2-3 times a week. Let me know if you are up for it we'll arrange to meet up.

Road out that way earlier this week w/ a friend, had a nice ride from Branchburg, out to MountainVale (I think), down Cokesbury Rd., through Lebanon, around the reservoir and back to Branchburg. 25-ish miles.

I live in Hillsborough, and have resurrected my old evening ride. I ride out Amwell to Wertsville, take that all the way to Ringoes, come back Amwell, turn left at the 3-way Stop (by the church), go down Pleasant Run to South Branch (on the Branchburg side), back across Studiford bridge, left on River down to either Beekman or Roycefield (depending on how late it's getting) and back home.

Haven't put a computer on the new bike yet, but I think the Beekman route is ~30 miles. Nice ride w/ some gentle hills (which is what I need right now), but scenic and a lot of fun.

My problem is that I get home ~6, and it's tough to travel anywhere to ride that late in the evening. I could take the bike to work (Chatham) and meet some folks after work for a ride. I also have Wednesdays off, and would love to do a longer (50-60) ride w/ some people. Not sure how up to the monster hills you guys are talking about, but something a bit less intense would be great.

Wind and legs are slowly coming back, but I'm loving this new bike so much, I'm motivated to ride it all the time!

PS: I know this is a MTB forum, but it seems like there are quite a few of us w/ roadies.

ArmyOfNone

im looking to make a route that would include montgomery road (from wertsville), zion road and a few others in between.

I am in the area pedaling quite a bit and always looking for company :)

Mk1Racer

im looking to make a route that would include montgomery road (from wertsville), zion road and a few others in between.

You could definitely put together a nice hill ride out there. Up Zion, down Long Hill, up Montgomery, down the back side to 518 in Hopwell, up Linberg, down to Wertsville (by Peakcock's), up 609 to Amwell, and then back in Amwell.

I don't think I'm up for that much climbing right now, but you'd get a decent amount of hills in a short distance, if that's what you're after.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's a beautiful area out there. I've only been in those parts a handful of times but maybe I should do my next big road ride in that direction.

Fred, do you use NJbikemap.com? That plus BikeRouteToaster is all you need with the GPS to put together some good stuff.

J-Dro

These are the exact roads that I was tooling around on in early spring before the trails dried up. Beautiful scenery, good climbs. I almost thought about getting a road bike for a little while. :D

Maurice

Did this on Sunday

Here's my approximate route. I took it real easy since I assumed there would be some climbing. It was windy as hell but cold. I swear I had a headwind the whole loop...

Went past the Round Valley main entrance. People were already lining up to get in, half an hour before opening time. Amazing.
Then Valley crest rd. then Allerton rd. Pretty much kept going straight until I hit Rte 579 (Bloomsbury rd.). Headwind and a constant climb for about 4 miles. This is not a very steep climb, although crossing Rte 614 and looking ahead is as impressive as it feels riding up it. I went all the way down Bloomsbury rd. until I took a little bit of 173 then left on Bloomsbury-Asbury rd. Nice roads, not much traffic. As usual got chased by a dog in a climb. It seems like I'm always being chased by dogs on week-end rides.

Then made a right and up Iron Bridge rd. Norm isn't kidding, this is steep. Not a very long climb, but it warms you up well. I still think climbing up Bloomsbury rd. (579) is a tad longer and just as steep.
Went down towards Van Syckel, then made the first left up Henderson rd. Another climb until Glen Gardner. Then it climbs a little bit more on Hill rd. Took Hill rd. all the way to the end, and crossed over the valley at Califon. Up Academy St., then just kept going on Fairmount Ave. until Black River rd.
Followed Black River rd. and made a right on Vliettown rd (sp?) in order to go through Oldwick then get back on Rockaway rd. and finally climb Bissel rd. This climb felt much easier than usual after Iron Bridge rd., still had two cogs left. A little loop down Cokesbury rd., Petticoat lane and down Haytown rd. for some 40+ mph fun.

Total was 64 miles in 3-1/2 hours. Still had some gas in the tank but no more time...

Couple of things I noticed:
- road bikes don't brake nearly as well as mountain bikes. Dura-Ace my arse. I almost ran out of brakes a couple times, luckily the thing still corners well.
- road bikes ride way lower to the ground, bottom-bracket wise. i.e. pedalling through corners is not always very wise.

Cheers,

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went all the way down Bloomsbury rd. until I took a little bit of 173 then left on Bloomsbury-Asbury rd.

That downhill into Bloomsbury is the biggest climb in HUnterdon county, something like 750 feet. I lived out there for many years yet never rode a bike up it. Probably didn't even have a bike for most of those years.

I still think climbing up Bloomsbury rd. (579) is a tad longer and just as steep.

You talking about going the other way out of Bloomsbury? If so I don't think it's as steep as Iron Bridge but certainly longer. That's a major road so it's not pitched that steeply where Iron Bridge isn't exactly well traveled, with good reason.

One of these days Fiddler's Elbow will have to be on the agenda.

Top Bottom