Invite to the Bottle ride (timed ride) on 9/25

Update: the event has been moved to 9/26 (Sunday) due to a conflict with trail building....building trails are more important than a home made race.
What is this? A group ride that happens to be timed with a bottle of wine as the prize.
Format: Timed runs with riders separated by 1/2 minute intervals. Fastest person to go down, then up earns themselves a bottle of wine. If 5 or more girls ride, their prize is a bottle of champagne. If 5 or more singlespeeders show up, then their prize will be a bottle of wine. Strict adherence to the honor code and all IMBA rules apply.
The course: It is technical and requires fitness. A good expert class racer will finish the course in roughly 40 minutes. This course will reward the person with the best skills and engine- a true test of your MTB skills.
Where: The exact details of the course and location of the event will revealed at a later date, but it is within Westchester county.
Limited Seating:Capacity constraints keep this event to truly limited seating. Advance registration only. Please email to reserve your place. Due to the nature of the event, details are on a need to know basis and will not be released until a few days before the event.
Admission: No cost other than being a participant through out the ride. Come to the meeting point. Sign in and register. Hear the opening statement. Line up. Race. Finish. Stay for the brief closing ceremony and awards. At that point you are free to go ride and explore the most excellent trails.
The event is free with a few conditions:1.Due to the nature of the event the first rule of the bottle ride is do not talk about the bottle ride. 2.One must be willing to have your picture taken. 3. Must return the number plate. 4. Finally,all rules apply. These include the following: A. It is a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) ride, so obviously no cheating. B. If someone is hurt, please stop and help-this is about fun. C. IMBA rules apply.D. No drinking of the wine on site of the event- Anyway, one should be drinking fine wine with fine food.
Apres Ride: After the event and a good bit of dirt riding, riders are encouraged to go to the Local Brewery for booze and victuals at around 1PM.
When: Sunday the 26th of September. Sign in as 8.30AM. Ride starts at 9.30AM.
Please email for more details and entrance into the event: thebottleride@gmail.com

I hope to see you all out there.

bottle+ride.jpg

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow. most people start off simple in the first timers forum for there 1st post ...something like Hi I'm new to this site and got a new mtb, hope to get to know some folks on the trails.
oh well, welcome to mtbnj.

Long time visitor, first time poster?

I know many of your faces and some names from the H2H series, and the DH40- I am normally pretty reserved and am not one for posting much. This has been a project I have wanted to do for about 2 years and I would like to have a wide variety of folks show up- not just friends and people I know.

I have fast folks coming from north, west and east, but I would be stoked to have Jersey represented. Jersey needs to be there! NYC, LI, CT, Westchester, Boston and upstate NY are in- it is not a party with out Jersey.

Winner takes the bottle, bragging rights and the dubious honor of wearing the gold plate at the next bottle ride.

Hope to see some of Jersey's finest there.

ryderX

I'll take the Strummer picture in the back ground. "The future is unwritten"

Last edited:
Good catch!
Warms my heart to hear of Joe Strummer/Clash fans- a huge influence and has been apart of my lifes soundtrack.

Space is filling up quick.... And it looks like I will have a strong Jersey contingent as I got a few emails last night from people looking to reserve their spots. I think someone from that fine purveyor of most excellent bikes, Halters bike shop in Monmouth, is showing up....is he riding geared or single is my only question.....

So it looks like I will have representation from all the local tribes.

If you are interested, send me an email: thebottleride@gmail.com

allygadget

Any women sign up yet? I am a more advanced beginner. I rode lew mo, kvsp, DH40 and the world cup races. Is the appropriate for my experience? I don't want to get there and be in over my head. Let me know if you think its doable for me .

Any women sign up yet? I am a more advanced beginner. I rode lew mo, kvsp, DH40 and the world cup races. Is the appropriate for my experience? I don't want to get there and be in over my head. Let me know if you think its doable for me .

Yes- we have 4 women already confirmed and 3 more that I think will be in. The first half of the course is technical- but very ride able. The second half requires your climbing legs.

The women who have signed up range in experience so I think you would be in fine company.

It would be great to get 10 women to show up.

If you are interested shoot an email to thebottleride@gmail.com to confirm your spot.

Thank you for your interest.

A strong contingent from Jersey is signed up including a fierce female from Campmor- Thank you for your interest.

Final preparations are being made.
Bottles for the winners are being selected.
A fine cast of racers have signed in- thank you again as I could not do this without you.
preparing..jpg

Sometimes it feels like a race in a race.

Thank you everyone for your interest: I really appreciate it.

I am honored to have some of Jersey's finest racers- including much of the podium real estate in the last two weekends of H2H racing- in attendance. You will be in good company.

Thank you again- most details will be emailed out to you within the next 24 hours. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

This+way..JPG

Oreo

I'll be there too. Looking forward to riding Blue for this event, should be fun. See you Sunday.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This should be a great event. It is being run by one of my favorite people of all time. I am so bummed to be out of town for this one. Have fun!

J-

This should be a great event. It is being run by one of my favorite people of all time. I am so bummed to be out of town for this one. Have fun!

J-
Really sorry not to have you in attendance- totally bummed. But there is always the next one....

Nonetheless I have great NJ representation- many different age category winners are headed to the rendez vous spot.

Invites are out and confirms are in. Event is a go.
monster.jpg

Thank you again for your interest- I could not do this with out you.

So much fun- Thank you again for showing up.

Here are a few pictures: will post more once I get a moment along with placings, details etc when I get a moment tonight.
grape.jpg

ellen.jpg

off+they+go.jpg

mary+anne.jpg

winner.jpg

Last Sunday some people showed up to some place in the woods to attempt to have their best performance on a technical and fitness testing course.

Participants came from all directions, all skill levels and many age ranges. Amongst the large cast of great characters to show up at 9AM were a trio of double X assassins from Campmor, a visiting dignitary (dignitary- the term I use when I forget my shoes/helmet/bike for an event, ride or race.) from NYC's finest shop-NYC Velo, a fine photographer, the tribe, some of the best from the north, a show of force from mountain biker from the city-with both Sid's bikes coming and NYCMTB, members of the world famous WMBA, someone who has never raced ever in her life and a man who showed up riding a rigid singlespeed who knew a thing or two about going fast. These were just a few of the fine folks that showed up.

The experience was setup with a test down the Monster trail and up Ned's. Format: Riders set off at 30 second intervals.
phat+tire.JPG

While there are many highlights, here are a few that stick out:

A. A certain racer who after having a little trouble finding the start (he got a little lost) rode up the monster trail missing the official start. Out of breath from rushing up the climb, drenched in sweat from the effort, but in true style, stopped only for a minute at most to then turn around and do the whole course. A great way to honor the event.
style.jpg

B. Rigid and single: Sometimes it is so humbling when one of those guys shows up and just straight up murders.
C. People riding with people they did not really know after the event- For some reason that resonated with me when a couple of people told me that they rode with people they did not know. Why not know more people? Very cool.
D. My girl: while I would not been able to discourage her, and I certainly did not approve, as most may not know this, but it is a Herculean effort to be on a bike 3 days after treatment (let alone go down monster)-she help make it a day I wont soon forget. A man is lucky when his girlfriend is a member of the Super Friends.
E. The racer who came across the line chain in hand after sprinting the last 1/4 mile. The competitive spirit that pushes you to run and not walk is great to witness.
F. The finish: A short, sharp rise that can ensnare the best of us. Whether or not you cleared it or not, the look of relief of being done made the event a success in itself.
gfny.JPG

Thank you participants for your time and energy: The process, the effort and idea were all vindicated by you- I had hoped for this, a gathering of like minded people for an event in the woods.

New friends made: Check!
Old friends seen again: Check!
A few laughs: Check!
Painting finished: Check!
Fulfill need to create bike gathering: Check!

Gracias people.

See you at the next one!

TBR.

Results:
1. Ellen 32.40
2.Tony 35.27
3.Lorenzo 28.03
4.Aaron 33.38
5.Marianne 30.18
6.Darlene 30.21
7.Samantha 48.45
8.Brittney 1.10.47
9.Guillaume 27.19
10.Robert M 35.16
11.Robert D 33.18
12.Dave S 44.56
13.Daniel 27.08
14.Tony B 34.18
15.Jonathan 39.37
16.Jose 41.09
17.Dave L 26.10
18.Jamie 27.34
19.Chrissy36.40
20.Bob 32.40
21.Kim 46.05
22.Mike O 31.50
23.Austin 28.57
24.Chris S 30.02
25.Matt J 31.59
26.Danny 38.00
27.Oreo 33.05
enzo.JPG

2nd Annual Bottle Ride coming soon to a theatre near you.

Details soon in a seperate thread- but a few sneak peaks, details and other.
-3 classes: girls, boys and singlespeed. If I get 5 girl singlespeeders then we have 4 classes.
-Longer course.
-Plaques for the winners.
-Bottles for the winners. (duh, it is the bottle ride)
-Primo trails.

Limited seating.

Hope to see you there.

Top Bottom