Introducing a friend to MTB - WWYD

Dr Superb

So, i have a friend who keeps telling me he wants to try riding with me. He's a former skateboarder / surfer / freestyle roller blader.

Anyway, i want to take him - i'd probably do a canal loop at 6MR for his first time. Any beginners i've taken haven't made it all the way around 6MR their first time.

Which brings me to the issue. He refuses to wear a helmet. At 31, i don't understand what the big deal is, i can understand a 17 hear old not wanting to, because its not cool or whatever. Part of me doesn't even want to bring him along, and haven't, up to this point. He's been asking me for months now.

I dont want to have to deal with him slicing half his ear off, and dealing with the fall out. Obviously i would, he's a very good friend, but its just stupid to me...

What would you do?

MtnRider

I'm amazed at the idiots who go on a mtn bike trail without a helmet.
I had a pretty bad crash at Ringwood a few years ago where I smacked my head on the ground and if not for the helmet - who knows?

Perhaps best way is lead by an example - your an experienced rider and you still wear a helmet because you've seen some pretty bad crashes. If he doesn't take the hint then you just have to be straightforward - people do get hurt and it's usually our own stupidity

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I'd take him to Allaire on the beginner ride and tell him wearing a helmet is the law in these parks. He's new and knows nothing so fifty people in helmets should convince him. Besides, they won't let him ride without one.

davos

this line sums it up best.....

"If given a choice between sanding your scalp on the asphalt or putting on a helmet, anyone with common sense is going to choose the helmet. That decision is made every time we get ready to ride, even when we think we won’t need it."

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have told a few people straight up no helmet no ride....how bad would you feel if you guys were tooling at 6 mile and he rolled off one of the skinnies and got hurt bad..

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So, i have a friend who keeps telling me he wants to try riding with me. He's a former skateboarder / surfer / freestyle roller blader.

Anyway, i want to take him - i'd probably do a canal loop at 6MR for his first time. Any beginners i've taken haven't made it all the way around 6MR their first time.

Which brings me to the issue. He refuses to wear a helmet. At 31, i don't understand what the big deal is, i can understand a 17 hear old not wanting to, because its not cool or whatever. Part of me doesn't even want to bring him along, and haven't, up to this point. He's been asking me for months now.

I dont want to have to deal with him slicing half his ear off, and dealing with the fall out. Obviously i would, he's a very good friend, but its just stupid to me...

What would you do?

You can't prevent people from being stupid. But you don't have to support it. I wouldn't ride with someone who won't wear a helmet. I don't care if it's a friend, a family member, or even someone who was willing to pay me to ride with them. And I'd explain why, too. He's asking you to take him riding because he knows you have experience in the sport. Tell him that experience tells you that he absolutely needs a helmet.

bigmike

just get his a pretty helmet, he would feel obligated to wear it...when i was young (15 ISH) and would ride the trails, had a bad crash with no helmet hitting my head and getting a cuncushin, wore a helmet every time out since then, even around the neighborhood with my nephews. No helmet no ride, dont feel bad about telling him that, no worth it.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I was in Wissahickon all day today and I must have seen a dozen people without helmets. It got to a point where I would just shake my head when I passed them. One guy asked me why I was shaking my head and I told him that he really should wear a helmet because even if he doesn't care about his head, if he cracks it open, we may all lose access for insurance reasons.

So there's that reason, too.

LandCruiser

I've ridden with friends who don't wear helmets, it's their preference and I don't judge. If they want to be macho, stupid, or just let their freak flag fly...have at it, it's your noggin. just my 2 pennies.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dude, I can see your point with the freak flag and all except when they fall you are going to be the one dragging them out of the woods and that will seriously harsh your ride...

Frank

Sasquatch
I won't ride with friends that have no helmets because I don't want to go shopping for coloring books every Xmas. People will say it's a personal preference, but many parks have signage that say "helmets required", Allaire does. If you don't want to do it for you, do it for the family members who will be stuck taking care of you.

I Ride Bikes

I dont like when people dont wear helmets either. To me its not worth taking a chance. Whats the big deal about wearing one?

I would just tell your friend that helmets are required at all trails and that theres a fine if you get caught without one. He won't know.

Robson

Some people are just without imagination. I remember pre- riding Wawayanda race course and seeing some inexperienced young riders without helmets....plain stupid.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I smashum head pree good 4 year ago. No helmet or nuthin, not two bad crash. I wood have gone two sea a docter but i woke up a hour after crash and blod had stoped by then. I figure how many times can that happen. Only been stuck by lightnin once two, that wont happen agen either. Anyways mama always sed that when others start make you own decisions four you it wont be long to you dont get two make none for yourself.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
One guy asked me why I was shaking my head and I told him that he really should wear a helmet because even if he doesn't care about his head, if he cracks it open, we may all lose access for insurance reasons.

I tell people it isn't so much that I care about your head or your safety, I only care if you crack your head open and shut our trails down.

Dr Superb

I appreciate all the input from everyone. While it was all great, this one really summed it up for me:

1speed said:
He's asking you to take him riding because he knows you have experience in the sport. Tell him that experience tells you that he absolutely needs a helmet.

Top Bottom