Interesting info about Wildcat - it rocks?

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I know @trailhead had written up some history/info about Wildcat, but i couldn't locate it.
Anyway - here's some info about everyone's favorite picture op.

The rock outcrop at Wildcat Ridge are the oldest in New Jersey, 750 million - 1.3 billion years old.

Interesting side fact, that geology map also shows the border in NJ between taylor ham and pork roll.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
well, this explains a lot!

Diabase is a rock formed by the cooling of magma at some depth in the crust; basalt is formed cooling of an identical magma that has been extruded onto the surface as lava. Both basalt and diabase are more resistant to erosion that the enclosing sandstone and shale and therefore they form ridges and uplands. The Palisades, Rocky Hill, Sourland Mountain, and Cushtunk Mountain are underlain by diabase layers. The Watchung Mountains, Long Hill and Hook Mountain are underlain by basalt layers. Valleys and lowlands between these ridges are underlain by shale and sandstone.​

Rocks in Cush on top of the ridge -
@Roadie and @Robin explained this awhile back.

1620732379429.png

w_b

I know @trailhead had written up some history/info about Wildcat, but i couldn't locate it.
Anyway - here's some info about everyone's favorite picture op.

The rock outcrop at Wildcat Ridge are the oldest in New Jersey, 750 million - 1.3 billion years old.

I literally live straddling the pork roll- Taylor ham line. Fryin it up it’s Taylor Ham, then moving to the dining room it becomes pork roll.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions