• Bikes in the winter time? You crazy!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both, I ride in and out doors.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • It's winter and time to change sports. Ski/Snow board

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

ArmyOfNone

So its pretty damn cold. When its this cold will you guys suck it up and ride outside? Or stay cozzy indoors and work the trainer?

J-Dro

Your poll should have another option... Forget the bike, break out the snowboard.:D

ArmyOfNone

tru... has there been anything other than some flurries on the east coast?

im lookin forward to giving snowboarding a try this winter. just dont wanna have to drive to vermont (like J) to do it

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I will meet you at 9 if you wanna ride for a bit.

I am itching to put a bit more saddle time on my 29er.

give me a shout.

j

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
another option...

How about both? I'll be on the trainer today, but outside tomorrow.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mix for me too. Trainer during the weekdays but weekends try to get outside at least once if not both days.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I LOATHE !!! riding indoors, but have great respect for those that find the motivation and discipline to do so. The workout one can get from that kind of disipline is great, but if it is so boring and you end up hating it or eventually not doing it, what's the point.

I find riding in the woods is fine down to about 10 degrees, then keeping feet warm is a problem even with winter shoes. Winter shoes are best investment for woods. You can use just about any winter clothing everywhere else. Conditions are good when frozen. Studded tires may help when icy with few inches of snow. More snow than that, I go XC skiing.

If things become sloppy or too icy in the woods, I go to the road fulltime. I never ride a road bike when there are snowbanks impeding on the roadway. Way too dangerous! :rofl: Riding the road requires windproof everything, booties, gloves, tights, jacket, and some mental toughness. I'm good to about 23 degrees before I find another activity. Now, If I could find a route that went uphill continuously like an Echer drawing??

Eitherway it's good, and it's nice to see so many people try to keep their passion going in the winter. So indoors or out, Ride on !:)

NJ Jess

I'd rather ride in it,...

than work in it....Which is what I did today. I look like to StayPuff Marshmellow man in all that garb, but It was 16 degrees with wind this morning. It did warm up to 30 or so, I'm not sad about that either.

wind Chill is the hardest thing to deal with. I actually wear a jogging windproof suit under my work bibs. It's like wearing a plastic bag, but as long as I pace myself, I don't sweat too much. It's the moisture that makes you cold the most.

Feet sweat 4 to 6 oz of moisture, which with the wind chill and pressure of pedalling, really get to me at 1 1/2 hours of riding. I may have solved the problem with putting cornstarch powder into my shoes and (get this) putting a bit of warm weather Greyhound juice on the bottom of my toes. (Greyhound juice is like bengay, but way better.) I will test this theory more and more as the winter work and hopefully ride days continue. Hope to post updates.

jdog

Shop Keep
than work in it....Which is what I did today. I look like to StayPuff Marshmellow man in all that garb, but It was 16 degrees with wind this morning. It did warm up to 30 or so, I'm not sad about that either.

wind Chill is the hardest thing to deal with. I actually wear a jogging windproof suit under my work bibs. It's like wearing a plastic bag, but as long as I pace myself, I don't sweat too much. It's the moisture that makes you cold the most.

Feet sweat 4 to 6 oz of moisture, which with the wind chill and pressure of pedalling, really get to me at 1 1/2 hours of riding. I may have solved the problem with putting cornstarch powder into my shoes and (get this) putting a bit of warm weather Greyhound juice on the bottom of my toes. (Greyhound juice is like bengay, but way better.) I will test this theory more and more as the winter work and hopefully ride days continue. Hope to post updates.

Good thing this isn't your e-harmony listing..

ArmyOfNone

LOL

Hey Jess, please do let us know how those tricks work out. I have managed to stay somewhat warm up to now. hopefully i wont have to worry :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, i think we just found out candidate for "post, counter-post" this week. call CNN, i'm free. :D

jdog

Shop Keep
yep, i think we just found out candidate for "post, counter-post" this week. call CNN, i'm free. :D

I couldn't pass that one up. You know that feeling when you can't stop laughing at your own joke. I feel like that..:D

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
hey Jess, You bring up a very interesting topic.... and that's riding in relationship to the rest of our lives.

You spend all day working outside freezsing your #$$ off, and look for some warm indoor time when you get home. Someone in an office all day may be looking for some fresh air when they leave the cubicle. We all gota do what works best for us and make the most of it. Live life and explore the diversity of this great sport.

Anyway, I too have tried all the tricks with keeping the tootsies warm in the winter when skiing. Bengay, hot pepper and extra socks. It seems that circulation and sweating are the big factors. I now buy shoes big enough for circulation and wear wool socks. It seems wool insulates better than anything else when wet. When temps really drop, I use hunters packs for feet. I'll give you a few, if you want to try them. They should have them at Campmor too.

Stay warm girl!!

Ellen

Chris(NJ)

I dont mind ridin outside when its 35+, just not on the road. Its much colder on the road than in the mtns. However, I must say, I'm a much happier person typing this response in a warm house :)

Top Bottom