inexpensive 8 spd Dirt Jumper recommends

dknj

Hey, can anyone recommend a decent low cost DJ bike that can be used on the trails?. Not looking for single speed and doesnt need hydraulic brakes.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
when u say "trails" do u mean DJ trails or do u wanna also ride xc trails on it? I have a Giant STP and love it but "low end" ones are usually SS. Check out Specialized or Haro or any of the big name companies. They usually have a low end DJer.

You can also always find used ones on the web.

dknj

yes some XC trails, Giant STP or similar to a Trek Ticket Exchange, but lower cost. If I can find something used great, but I'm ok spending up to $700 if new / or previous year model clearance, etc.

don

A little confused - are you looking to buy a DJ rig to ride XC stuff or you want something that can hit DJ lines one day and raise the seat and ride XC the next?

I've got an Evil Sovereign for sale but it's SS. Might have some 8 speed parts that could change it up tho. http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25924

dknj

More of the later with urban street use on occasion all of which is why my preference is a setup with gears.

don

More of the later with urban street use on occasion all of which is why my preference is a setup with gears.

So a bike that will ride DJ's, street and some XC?

DJ's and especially street aren't too fun with a rear derailurer and central XC trails are very SS friendly so I'd say look for something SS.

But, pick out some bikes you are interested in and post up otherwise gmb3 recommendations were very good.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have something you may be intrested in.have not realy decided if i want to sell yet.haro steel reserve 8 new frame, new wheels,seat, seat post ,cranks i have not rode in dirt yet!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 302

dknj

I hear ya on the rear derailer. I may want to remove it and ride SS 50% of the time but decided that I require the gears for versatality. What parts would I need to make the swap out transition back and forth as quick as possible? I was thinking full rear wheel with hub, rim, tire and chain. Would I be ok with the front sprocket, and upper / lower chain guides as is?

Kona Steely seems like a nice ride especially for the price your friend got althought that one has 3 gears up front as far as I can tell, also the top tube is not quite as angular sloping so the seat doesn't go quite as low as other frames, but I think that is ok. I will post up some other bikes to get your opinions after I look around some more.

THATmanMANNY

what about going the other way.. XC/AM bike that can DJ

like Santa Cruz Chameleon, Transition TransAm. It's no DJ geo but ppl have been double dutying them very well and it can withstand the abuse

dknj

what about going the other way.. XC/AM bike that can DJ

Likely not, for me, the shape of the frame and some of the specific features are my main reasons. I am just trying to keep the cost down with less expensive forks, rims, and brakes. others may argue those should be treated with higher importance. My main priorities are weight, frame, rear derailer, upper & lower chain guides, cranks, seat, post, bars, tires. do let me know if I am missing something important.

THATmanMANNY

If your a small person 5'6" or something you may be comfortable pedaling a DJ in the trails, otherwise it will be awful. I know, I've tried it. The geo is awful and your seatpost would need to be long.

IMO, low cost DJ is worse than a low cost XC bike. They are a tank. SS will shave a lot of weight though.

I personally would size down on something like the TransAm to double duty. It has ISCG mounts.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
http://www.brodiebikes.com/2012/bikes/groove.php

i have something very similar to what i linked (the 2010 bruzza). $75 out of your price range brandy new. it's a little slack for DJ, but would be fun for trail use. the components aren't hot and the weight sucks @ 34#, but you get used to it and it can take a beating and a half. my 2010 is a heavier frame, and i'm on the XL, so i'm riding around 36-37# and have plenty of fun on x/c trails.

i suck at jumping but it can be done with a frame like this. i use mine on the street all the time with the seat slammed and have oodles of fun with it.

dknj

Test rode a Jamis Komodo today. On a positive note, its Geo is not as severe as other DJs but I do see what people mean about DJ geo seats and XC riding. I still like the overall style though. I wasn’t crazy about the SS conversion with the rear derailleur staying, as far as I can tell due to the fixed vertical dropout. My question is are there any sliding vertical dropouts to accomplish this? do I need a frame with replaceable dropout to convert from one to another or go for one that is horizontal? My overall goal is to go from SS to gears and vice versa easily. Looks like I will need to stepup my budget as well.

TheBikeGuy1

Shop: The Bicycle Hub
Shop Keep
dj for under 800

going to recommend you take a look at the haro line of dj bikes they are book quality bike and are usually on the lower end of the price market .. if you are interested. call 7329469080 this is the number to the bicycle hub of marlboro they can help you out ..

thanks sean

dknj

Haven't been able to visit any shops yet, but wonder if anyone has opinions if the new sliding vertical dropouts made on recent models are decent or if I should get something with replaceable. my budget has already increased at this point. :(

Chris(NJ)

Haven't been able to visit any shops yet, but wonder if anyone has opinions if the new sliding vertical dropouts made on recent models are decent or if I should get something with replaceable. my budget has already increased at this point. :(

If you're going SS, I dont see why not. Its a very easy way to adjust chain tension

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Lets stop beating around the bush. Do you want a dirt jumper? or do you want a trail bike? Its one or the other, nothing in between, they dont even compare in similarity.

Dirt/Park: Is going to have short chainstays, long top tubes, short seat tubes, horizontil dropouts, integrated headset, and going to be steel, and either very expensive or heavy. Put a cheap sh1t dart fork or something on it and your going to need a very good dentist and new wrists.

XC trail: Gears obviously, not gonna get sliding dropouts for $800, if you do they will slide right off the bike. Geometry will be opposite of a DJ/park frame. Go huck yourself off a set of stairs on an aluminum xc/ht frame and let me know how your ankles feel. and the chain is gonna be flailing all over the place. Go full suspension in that price range and your buying a boat anchor with wheels.

Your need to be more specific and state exactly what/where you want to do and your ability. If your 15 years old and still pooping zits onto the mirror you will need a different bike than say a 200lb midage cubical jockey who wants to jump off the loading dock in raritan center.

Top Bottom