industry nine hydra rear axle broke.....

bergsnj

I was changing tires when the cassette fell off the hub way too easily. Then I noticed that it was actually a broken axle that caused the cassette to fall out. I ordered a new one from I9 but i was wondering how common this is? Anyone have this happen? I guess I'm not riding this bike for a while....

I9 Axle.heic.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Ironically the last repair I did Friday had a snapped axle. 1st time I saw that, this is the second.

bergsnj

@jimvreeland I was hoping you would see this because i know you have seen a lot of these hubs. I wonder if it could be from overtightening the thru-axle. I may have been riding like this for quite a while actually. There was no sign of an issue at all
98CF3C85-C0FE-49E8-AF78-9D7B510B3DB9.jpeg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I believe it's caused by the driveside hubshell bearing seizing. At least that's what did it in my case.

Andypowerful

I snapped the axle on my Race Face hub. Same thing. I noticed the cassette wobbling and it dropped right off. Mine was warranted. I just had to send it back and wait.

Zack 54

Agreed with analysis of failure, but interested in service life of that bearing…. Age of wheel set that a sealed bearing would fail like that .

bergsnj

Question…. How old is your I9 hydra that the bearing failed?
I track stuff using strava. According to that I started using these wheels April 03, 2020 and put on 2325 miles on them. None of the bearings were seized, but some were a little crunchy. I replaced all of the bearings with the I9 bearing kit when i installed the new axle.

nickF

Same thing happened to my I9 Hydra after 4 months of use. The picture is very similar to the one the OP posted, failure in the same area... Complete surprise: light XC / trail training use only, everything tightened to specs, bearings smooth, cleaned and lubed as per the manufacturer recommendations and lightweight rider.

I9_Hydra_Axle.jpg

bergsnj

Same thing happened to my I9 Hydra after 4 months of use. The picture is very similar to the one the OP posted, failure in the same area... Complete surprise: light XC / trail training use only, everything tightened to specs, bearings smooth, cleaned and lubed as per the manufacturer recommendations and lightweight rider.
Not sure why this happens. The new axle has been holding up fine so far. It may have to do with the machining of the axle. It snaps right where the diameter changes :shrug:

Top Bottom