Increasing stroke on my rear shock...?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
My Orbea Occam has a 210x50 Fox DPX2. I want to increase it to 52.5. Is that just a matter of removing a shim inside the shock?

how does 1/10 of an inch relate to travel?
which way would it extend it? (compress more. or extend more?)
no clearance issues?

curious cause i've not seen this done

how does 1/10 of an inch relate to travel?
which way would it extend it? (compress more. or extend more?)
no clearance issues?

curious cause i've not seen this done
I’m seeing on the book of Faces that a 210x52.5 will increase my Occam’s rear wheel travel by 7mm to 147mm. If I went 210x55 then travel would bump up to 152mm. Others who have done this report no frame clearance issues.

Please confirm. 🤓

I know on my yeti lunch ride the spacer was removed to increase travel by 7mm at the factory. I believe it only compresses more, so if you have clearance with the extra compression you should be ok.

Its true that some shock sizes share the same basic shock body but use a spacer/washer to reduce the internal travel. If your shock is one of those, it can be removed, however, its not as easy as removing a volume spacer token. The shock will need to be disassembled to remove it which usually means recharging the IFP. All this can be done at home if you have the tools though a shop can do it much easier. I believe you can pull down the body to check for the presence of a travel spacer just like changing a token. Since you want to go only 2.5mm more, you'll likely have to replace the existing 5mm spacer (if equipped) and install a thinner 2.5mm one. Of course, if its not present, you're fooked! :D

Dumb question:

If you remove the spacer, does it increase the eye-to-eye? I would assume not.

I'm curious if I ever sent my shock out for service if I could do exactly that, remove 2.5mm spacer and get a little more travel but not change the geometry.

I'd just kill two birds with one stone and send it out for custom tune and have stroke increased. Just adding 7mm alone will barely be noticeable and not worth the hassle imo .

Back
Top Bottom