In search of: Beginner 29er XC race

Triple-B

Looking to try my legs at a beginner 29er XC race around Sept or later, anyone who knows of any preferrably local to the tri state area ? Thanks

wonderturtle

Looking to try my legs at a beginner 29er XC race around Sept or later, anyone who knows of any preferrably local to the tri state area ? Thanks

um, not sure what youre asking. there arent any 29er-specific races if that is what you are asking.

Triple-B

Check out www.h2hrace.com

Cat 3 is beginner. Jungle, Ringwood, and Blue Mt are all Sept or later. There's no such thing as a race just for 29ers. You can race whatever size wheel you want.

Thanks Steve(If I'm remembering correctly). Thats really strange cause when I BMX raced for all those years they had a Cruiser class which was bigger tires and I'm pretty sure you couldn't race standards in that class or vice versa. Thanks for that info.

vanseggern1

No problem, Triple B. That website will tell you everything you need to know about the series. There are also races in PA, NY, etc...just keep an eye on the Rides, Races, Events section. You can also look on www.bikereg.com and check off road races in Northeast, etc. Based on having a BMX background, Beginner class might be too easy for you depending on your fitness level, but definitely worth getting your feet wet that way before moving up to Cat 2/Sport.

Triple-B

Thanks dude appreciate it. I stopped racing BMX when I was 16-17 and I'm 34 now. My fitness is ok but not what I would call race worthy. I will def try a Cat-3 race later this year and see how I like it.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Lewis Morris Challenge and the MASS Neshaminy race in June are great first-race events. Neither are very technical. I hit them both last year as a rookie and had fun and learned alot.

Don't put it off until September. Race now while the season is in full swing. There is no shame in finishing DFL. Well, some, but it's all in good fun.

Triple-B

The Lewis Morris Challenge and the MASS Neshaminy race in June are great first-race events. Neither are very technical. I hit them both last year as a rookie and had fun and learned alot.

Don't put it off until September. Race now while the season is in full swing. There is no shame in finishing DFL. Well, some, but it's all in good fun.

I'm guessing DFL means Dead Fuggin Last lol. I'll look into the LMC race, thanks.

wonderturtle

most races have beginner classes. no such thing as a 29-only class at least I've never heard of one

agree. with davidcarson. just do it. no one gives a crap who finishes last and chances are, if you're in any kind of shape, you wont come in last. everyone is really supportive and cool.

and agree that Lewis Morris is a very beginner-friendly race. Monmouth County Parks runs a race called the Woods Hollow Classic in Agust that is EXTREMELY friendly to beginners.

bigW

Seize the day.

I'm guessing DFL means Dead Fuggin Last lol. I'll look into the LMC race, thanks.

Join up, nice flowing course. :getsome:

I'm signing up for LMC in Class 3 for my second race ever and the more fellow 'DFL peeps' join the better. The course is easy to follow and can be pre-ridden anytime to know exactly what to expect ( a nice cardio workout ). Since class 3 is only a single 6 mile loop it should be a 50 minute sprint and over shortly after it starts.

When I did Tymor I started as the last person in my class/age to see how things work and got to pass a couple folks before it was over. This time hoping to start in the middle of class and will cope with folks passing me without freaking out too badly. Class 3 folks ( esp older ) seemed to be out there to have a good time and not getting too stressed out by anything.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
+1 on Lewis Morris as a very good first race. Bulldog Rump at Kittatinny as well. All good first races. Jump in this summer and see what it is like.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The D&Q Summer Sizzler is another good choice -- fast, non-technical singletrack without a whole lot of climbing.

You won't find a race or class anywhere that is strictly 29er. Classes are pretty much always based on age group, gender and experience (i.e., beginner, sport, expert, elite or cat3, cat2, cat1.) The only exceptions you'll usually find to these categories are when you get into the "niche" groups, which usually have too few racers to flesh out age categories. Singlespeed, for example, is usually only classed by experience. You may have an Expert SS Class, for example, but it would be pretty rare that you'd have a Vet Expert SS (which would be like a 30-39 age group.) And a lot of races don't have women's SS classes because the number of participants would be too low, so those women who want to race SS usually have to race in the men's SS class and beat my a$$.

Triple-B

Join up, nice flowing course. :getsome:

I'm signing up for LMC in Class 3 for my second race ever and the more fellow 'DFL peeps' join the better. The course is easy to follow and can be pre-ridden anytime to know exactly what to expect ( a nice cardio workout ). Since class 3 is only a single 6 mile loop it should be a 50 minute sprint and over shortly after it starts.

When I did Tymor I started as the last person in my class/age to see how things work and got to pass a couple folks before it was over. This time hoping to start in the middle of class and will cope with folks passing me without freaking out too badly. Class 3 folks ( esp older ) seemed to be out there to have a good time and not getting too stressed out by anything.

+1 on Lewis Morris as a very good first race. Bulldog Rump at Kittatinny as well. All good first races. Jump in this summer and see what it is like.

Well I went riding this morn up at Campgaw had blast, weather is perfect. I'll definitely might try LMC, maybe I can ride there tomorrow and see how the loop is. I find it crazy that 26 and 29er race in the same class cause u put the same rider on the same course on a 29er he should always be faster than a 26er. Thats why I thought it might be split into the 2. If anybody is gonna ride the LMC loop anytime soon and wouldn't mind me taggin along let me know. Thanks for all the help :cool: Just became a member of JORBA too !!!

Last edited:

Triple-B

I wasn't real good with algebra and I didn't pass calculus but I'm pretty sure a 29" tall tire covers more ground per revolution than a 26" making it cover a distance in a greater/faster time than the 26" would correct ?

vanseggern1

I don't understand all the scientific reasons myself, but I'm with wonderturtle on this one. There are definitely more top pros racing 29 today than there were a few years back, but the majority are still on 26 wheels. I'm sure these pros DO understand the science and would definitely make the leap if they felt it would make them faster. Even the fastest local pros on this forum ride 26.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
we should probably either lock this thread or move it to somewhere else; no need for an argument that no one can win in this section of the forum ;)

wonderturtle

I don't understand all the scientific reasons myself... I'm sure these pros DO understand the science and would definitely make the leap if they felt it would make them faster. Even the fastest local pros on this forum ride 26.

^ this ^

I ride a 29er. but I dont think its as simple as "bigger tire = more ground = faster". Opposite factors(?) - a smaller 26" wheel will rotate more quickly than a 29" wheel and will require less energy per rotation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom