In need of warmer fingers

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
So this is a little out there, but I know this is the best place to ask. Lately my fingers, mainly pinkies, have been getting so cold on rides that I almost have to throw in the towel. It started at white clay a few weeks back, when the windchill was around 0, but last ride I was on back home and 20 degrees warmer was the same.

I went and bought a nice pair of winter gloves that are about as thick as I can tolerate for riding, but they help much, if at all. Last time I got this pain was when I was a little kid making snowballs in the catskills with no gloves when it was -30 outside. It feels like my fingertips are being clamped in a vice.

Is there some sweet set of gloves that everyone is using that nobody told me about?

ArmyOfNone

Do they have any windproof material? If they are lacking said material that could be one of the problems.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Are you sure that you're not experiencing a new circulation problem in your hands? Have you changed grips, bars, riding position, etc.?

743power

Shop Keep
Are you sure that you're not experiencing a new circulation problem in your hands? Have you changed grips, bars, riding position, etc.?

that was my first thought. Isn't it the ulnar nerve that goes along your wrist into your pinky and ring fingers?

Anyway, I have changed my stem for one 10mm longer and took out 1/4" of spacer, but that was after this started happening.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
pogies, moose mitts. for the last week i've been riding up here in alaska in anywhere from 5-35 degrees with NO gloves under a set of pogies that i whipped up for free from an old tote bag and the liner from a winter jacket. they key to keeping your hands warm is circulation and a pocket of air around them.

xc62701

Get a pair of the Pearl Izumi AmFib Lobster gloves. Look for the good lobster gloves though. They have cheaper ones and the more expensive ones. I don't go on a cold ride without them. My hands will usually be too warm.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Some good points here. One that I always go by is roomy fit in gloves to allow enough room for circulation and a pocket of air as Sean mentioned. I know some gloves run tight, so I usually get one size larger. If you wear XL, that may be a problem.

Also if the core is not warm, the fingers shut down, so I dress to lightly sweat in the chest. If I get too hot, I just slow down a tad. Works most the time for me, and I get cold hands and feet easy.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Giving the warm finger

I use polypro glove liners under moto. gloves for all but the coldest days. On the coldest days I use Descente Wombats which are warm as is (also wind/water proof), and when things get too chilly. they have a pull out finger cover that turns them into a mitt for as many fingers as needed.You can put a chem. warmer in the mitt or its storage pocket too.They are not cheap 45.00 @ performance, but they are good.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I tried the Decente Wombat gloves and there were horrible. I rode in 15 degree weather and my finger almost froze off. Go with one of the Gore Gloves and pick up the Gore liners if you want some extra oompf.

Performance also make some decent gloves and you can get em cheap. I have a pair from 3 years ago that are not bulky and somehow they are warm. They are almost town to shreds at this point but they had done me well.

Suhr40

I have a pair of loose winter riding gloves with some sort of wind proofing (Cannondale, I think). The gloves are cinched at the wrist, but baggy everywhere else. When I wear thin gloves under them my hands are colder. I also will stuff a handwarmer in each glove, on the back of my hand, which totally helps. You can get the handwarmers at any outdoor sport shop, most drug stores, and some supermarkets have them as well. The warmers combined with the air pocket created by the loose fitting glove works.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
My vote's for Pearl Izumi Pittards therma fleece gloves - love'em. I have a pair of PI Gavia gloves too, though I don't recomend them unless it's real wet and sloppy out. What ever superfabric PI makes them from they don't breathe very well. I drench'em from the inside out.

liong71er

plastic gloves.

i used plastic gloves under my regular fox gloves, i use two layer if weather too cold,....so why bother buy expensive gloves.

743power

Shop Keep
My vote's for Pearl Izumi Pittards therma fleece gloves - love'em. I have a pair of PI Gavia gloves too, though I don't recomend them unless it's real wet and sloppy out. What ever superfabric PI makes them from they don't breathe very well. I drench'em from the inside out.

I have the PI cyclone. I tried on every pair PI had and I got these because they seemed like the best comprimise of feel and warmth.

Maybe I'll try putting some nitrile exam gloves on underneath, lol.

Top Bottom