Improving Strava accuracy?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
My Strava tracked mileage is always about 10-15% lower than that tracked by a cyclometer. This is to be expected since Strava uses GPS and the cyclometer tracks actual wheel revolution. My question is whether there is a device available that would track actual wheel revolution and send it to my iPhone/Strava via Bluetooth so the tracked mileage is more accurate. Something like the magnetic pickups that cyclometers use, attached to the fork, and wireless transmits to the phone. I tried Googling but wasn’t finding much.

Karate Monkey

Search for a Garmin or Wahoo speed sensor.

Cannondale makes a trick version of the Garmin that mounts to the spokes just above the hub barrel. Looks way slicker than the rubber band models.

JDurk

My Strava tracked mileage is always about 10-15% lower than that tracked by a cyclometer. This is to be expected since Strava uses GPS and the cyclometer tracks actual wheel revolution. My question is whether there is a device available that would track actual wheel revolution and send it to my iPhone/Strava via Bluetooth so the tracked mileage is more accurate. Something like the magnetic pickups that cyclometers use, attached to the fork, and wireless transmits to the phone. I tried Googling but wasn’t finding much.
Have you tried using Distance correction on Strava afterwards. Must use browser version of Strava, not available in the app.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
inexpensive and works.
it has been consistently registering zero for more than a week now. ;)

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the replies. I looked up the device @Patrick recommended but in the Q&A it would appear @shrpshtr325 is right…
12725D4A-8904-4C7A-A9D2-8A9432763642.jpeg

I’ll try @JDurk ’s suggestion or maybe switch to ridewithgps.

Patrick

Staff member
Ah, you use the app. Yes, they just enabled HRM but nothing else.
My elemnt mileage is off on the bikes where I don't use a wheel sensor when I look at Strava?

I'm not sure if it is the app or phone GPS resolution. Good experiment.

Ian F

I rarely use the Strava app for tracking anymore. I have a Wahoo Bolt that works better with multiple sensors and is so much better on battery life. No, it wasn't cheap to buy the head unit along with a crap-ton of sensors for various bikes. And I have to remember to keep it charged. But I've recently learned I need to ride with a HRM to keep me from going too hard. I found this out the hard way last week when I forgot my Bolt and used the phone. Went too hard and made myself sick.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rarely use the Strava app for tracking anymore. I have a Wahoo Bolt that works better with multiple sensors and is so much better on battery life. No, it wasn't cheap to buy the head unit along with a crap-ton of sensors for various bikes. And I have to remember to keep it charged. But I've recently learned I need to ride with a HRM to keep me from going too hard. I found this out the hard way last week when I forgot my Bolt and used the phone. Went too hard and made myself sickchased the weakness out of my body.

FTFY

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Hmmm. Not looking to buy another pricey device given phones have gps built in. I’m guessing maybe I should try with a few different apps that might integrate better with an external sensor. Map my ride, ride with gps, etc. Any experience with these?

roc

does this mean I can add 10-15% to my rides???? I'll take it.

Patrick

Staff member
Hmmm. Not looking to buy another pricey device given phones have gps built in. I’m guessing maybe I should try with a few different apps that might integrate better with an external sensor. Map my ride, ride with gps, etc. Any experience with these?

you could grab one of those $70 computers and let us know how it goes.
i'm sure they reverse engineered the garmin.

it would save your phone battery

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Yep, I did a ride with two others at DM yesterday. My Ride With GPS recorded 8.6 miles. My buddies’ cyclometers showed 10.4 and 10.9. That’s a significant difference. Seems to be the case with twisty parks like Nassau, 6 mile, etc. Larger parks with more distance between turns don’t manifest as much of a distinction.

Kaleidopete

There is a segment in Wawayanda called Winch & Plummet, it is only about 1 mile long.
If you enter the trail from the East Strava recognizes it.
If you enter from the West Strava doesn't recognize it.
The trail begins on the main road in a parking lot.
winch P.JPG

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep, I did a ride with two others at DM yesterday. My Ride With GPS recorded 8.6 miles. My buddies’ cyclometers showed 10.4 and 10.9. That’s a significant difference. Seems to be the case with twisty parks like Nassau, 6 mile, etc. Larger parks with more distance between turns don’t manifest as much of a distinction.
the major problem I see is the devices used....

strava app, garmin watches, etc....garbage. The refresh rate isnt good enough

Patrick

Staff member
the major problem I see is the devices used....

strava app, garmin watches, etc....garbage. The refresh rate isnt good enough

use a wheel sensor?

polling/precision/recording problems.

rick81721

Lothar
There is a segment in Wawayanda called Winch & Plummet, it is only about 1 mile long.
If you enter the trail from the East Strava recognizes it.
If you enter from the West Strava doesn't recognize it.
The trail begins on the main road in a parking lot.
View attachment 167253

Zoom in on the segment - it starts on the road a little past your first red arrow pointing to the right. That's why it only captures the segment coming from that direction.

Top Bottom