If You Own an SS Bike

What size is your SS?

Votes: 33 50.8%

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters

don

i have a specialized hardrock ss-

and for what its worth all my bmx bikes are single speed:D

haha, yeah, I noticed no 20" or 24" options. There might be a few of us on this board running those sizes.

I didn't vote as it would be a wash: 26" Rhygin XC rigid bike, 700c Kona Paddy Wagon Roadie, & 24" Union Street DJ/Park rig.

CrossAddict

Gain Ration (all things considered)

None of these methods include varying tire size and crank length. Doing so would require a mathematics degree. So getting back on track...I think attempting to provide a suggested gear for each park in NJ is a tall order.

Method solved !!! I use this site as the BIBLE of any cycling questions. The calculator on this site accounts for tire size and crank length. I've used it throughout the season. It's worth a look.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

-enjoy

~rf

CrossAddict

180mm cranks

Did you feel an appreciable difference between the two crank lengths? You're a taller fellow as well, so that's a consideration.

I've pondered trying 180's myself, which is why I ask. Thanks.

I like the longer crank arms. The problem is that I have to rotate my EBB up(to avoid bashing my pedals), which raises the seat hight. Not really a big deal since I'm not jumping on and off the bike a lot. To put it bluntly, you just get more leverage out of a 180mm crank, and I'm taller to boot so they are just proportional to my body.:)

-roger

MST.ESQ

Neither 26 nor 29...

I bought two SS bikes. One is a 12" Scott Voltage and the other a 16" Haro Z16, but my kids never let me ride them :D

ellbiddy

So now I'm part of the 29er SS posse, picked El Fogerson's Rig. Really nice ride....still not used to the stoooopid big wheels, but I took it for a quick loop at 6 mile and the thing is a ninja, I'm really digging the SS, still not used to the wheels yet, can't throw the bike in and out of turns like other bikes, but eventually I'll like it I'm sure ;)

walter

Fourth Party
So now I'm part of the 29er SS posse, picked El Fogerson's Rig. Really nice ride....still not used to the stoooopid big wheels, but I took it for a quick loop at 6 mile and the thing is a ninja, I'm really digging the SS, still not used to the wheels yet, can't throw the bike in and out of turns like other bikes, but eventually I'll like it I'm sure ;)

Like I told Tim a few months ago, buy yourself a bike cover or two to keep the dust off of your 26in susp. bikes. He doubted me, you will too. He eventually saw the light, as will you.

walter

Fourth Party

You are only lying to yourself thinking that you need 4in of travel at 6 mile and that Rutgers place. Ride the 29er SS until it blows up, then buy another. Sell your 26in bikes and invest the money in GM:rolleyes:

Enjoy that Rig. If only you could inherit the powers from its original owner.

Again, enjoy.

ellbiddy

I don't take my dualie to either place and it's actually 5 inches of travel front and rear hahah. I know what you mean though, I mash through 6 mile in one gear on my HT anyway (was the reason I wanted to go SS), I hope the big wheel thing will grow on me. I still think I'm going to ride my other bikes at places where I either want gears or back end that's squishy ;p

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

The proper term is the 29er/SS Borg :D

Once you get used to the bike, get your fit dialed in, and your fork tuned where you like it, she'll turn just fine.

I was the other way around with it, dug the big wheels wasn't so sure about the SS. It will come together for you...

Enjoy!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Like I told Tim a few months ago, buy yourself a bike cover or two to keep the dust off of your 26in susp. bikes. He doubted me, you will too. He eventually saw the light, as will you.

You must listen to Walter-Locutus...he knows of what he speaks...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
ellbiddy;98794.... I still think I'm going to ride my other bikes at places where I either want gears or back end that's squishy ;p[/quote said:
You'll find that there are few places like this once you get used to the SS. The only places I've wished I hadn't brought the SS were places I hadn't been. Which is at the root of why this entire thread was started in the first place.

And of those, Cannonball trail @ Ramapo is the only place I don't think I'd want to go to again w/o gears. It is something like a 2-3 mile death march climb going up.:puke: I was walking way too much. Though, if I had a 21 or 22 cog (or was in better shape) I'd try it again.

Top Bottom