If You Own an SS Bike

What size is your SS?

Votes: 33 50.8%

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters

Ian F

The closest I have is my Chameleon... which could be a SS... since I do have a SS rear wheel (26) for it... although I've never set it up that way... I bought the frame as a temp replacement while my IF was being repaired... I even raced XC on it... from there it went into dual-slalom mode and has remained so ever since... I'll admit I've been toying with rebuilding it as a SS.

So does that count? :p

I did have a Bontrager SS many moons ago...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Can't believe it!!! 26er beating 29er....I thought this site was all about 29ers....

I gotta get me a 26er SS again!

J-Dro

My thoughts are... If you are really that concerned about having the precise optimum gear ratio for a given park, you should get a derailleur. SS is all about simplicity. Am I supposed to have chains in various lengths hanging around that I can swap on my SS before a ride?

Oh and 29 of course.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
My thoughts are... If you are really that concerned about having the precise optimum gear ratio for a given park, you should get a derailleur. SS is all about simplicity. Am I supposed to have chains in various lengths hanging around that I can swap on my SS before a ride?

Oh and 29 of course.

That really isn't the point...having the precise optimum gear. I'm interested in having a gear that won't have me walking more than riding...

Say, like at Ramapo for instance :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jeez, i wonder who said that whole simplicity thing on page 6? :hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm tempted to lock this, since the score is now:

26ers: 26
29ers: 29

It's only right, right?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I'd be interested to see how many NEW single-speeds are being built up in 26 vs 29.

I'd be interested in how fast Ben could rip my 28lb steel rigid SS 26 through Allaire after he said with a bit of sarcasm, have fun on that bike. (25/12) I am well aware of the fact that Ben is a freak, I just doubt he realized my jumper was freakish as well!!!

BTW, stb and myself are taking down the 29 empire!!!

The next time you guys/gals are down at exit 98, say hi to the guy on the unbreakable bike!!

pinkshirtphotos

picture2pe8.png

26 for 26
29 for 29

:hmmm:

s4lnj

i have a specialized hardrock ss-

and for what its worth all my bmx bikes are single speed:D

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'm not Ben, though I play him on TV...

I'd be interested in how fast Ben could rip my 28lb steel rigid SS 26 through Allaire after he said with a bit of sarcasm, have fun on that bike. (25/12) I am well aware of the fact that Ben is a freak, I just doubt he realized my jumper was freakish as well!!!

BTW, stb and myself are taking down the 29 empire!!!

The next time you guys/gals are down at exit 98, say hi to the guy on the unbreakable bike!!
That was me who told you to "have fun on that bike", and I meant it. No sarcasm at all, that bike is super-cool. Seeing as how my DJ skills are nil, I could never do justice to that machine, but I have no doubt that it's a barrel of monkeys under someone who can use it properly.

I mean, I ride a rigid SS as well, mine is just set up a little different. And the wheels are a little bigger.:D

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
pixy rides the big one!

...... a 29 inch tire that is. I had the opportunity to ride two Trek 69er SS yesterday at an Industry demo. I actually had fun too. I rode a size 15.5 with a 16t cog and a size 17.5 with a 20t cog on trails near Wawayanda. I was surprised how nimble the handling was on the 15.5, and that front wheel rolled over things nicely with little lifting needed. Neither of them fit me very well. The 15.5 top tube was too short, and the 17.5 was too high, so I don't think I will be buying one any time soon, but I can understand how some peeps have the big wheel love. In the mean time, 26 is where I stay.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
...... a 29 inch tire that is. I had the opportunity to ride two Trek 69er SS yesterday at an Industry demo. I actually had fun too. I rode a size 15.5 with a 16t cog and a size 17.5 with a 20t cog on trails near Wawayanda. I was surprised how nimble the handling was on the 15.5, and that front wheel rolled over things nicely with little lifting needed. Neither of them fit me very well. The 15.5 top tube was too short, and the 17.5 was too high, so I don't think I will be buying one any time soon, but I can understand how some peeps have the big wheel love. In the mean time, 26 is where I stay.
Sounds to me like you need a made-to-measure Titus ti 29er.:D

don

Oh and 29 of course.

I agree, plus pedaling style and body size contribute to a SS ratio more than the terrain in many cases. I run a low gear (34-20) on my SS XC bike. I've used that ratio at Heart/Huber and places like VT and upstate NY.

For me riding a SS is just as much about not pedalling as pedalling if that makes sense. If you are worried about spinning out then pump the hell out of the terrain, pick the best line, and enjoy the sound of the freewheel spinning.

Top Bottom