Votes: 33 50.8%

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
26" rigid Bianchi

Too short for a 29er :eek:

Ya' sure about that?

Whilst I was lurking around Halter's yesterday, I noticed a small Air 9 that jdog had there. Except for the wheels, it didn't look any bigger than your Epic.

I took a look at Specialized's archive and a couple years ago a small Epic had a standover of 29.4" and a 21.8" top tube.

The small Air9 has a 28.2" stand over with 23.1" top tube. The SIR9 has the same TT and a 27.9" stand over.

So unless the 1" longer top tube isn't manageable for you, I'd say you could be 29ering--it is just a matter of finding the "right" frame. Niner says min height is 5' 4"...and they tend to size small, so someone even shorter than that could *probably* get away with it. They say 6-6'4" for a large (what I have) and I'm 5'10" on a tall day...

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
gotta think about toe overlap too. I first tried another 29 and it limited my turning capabilties

VanDbtRiver

no ss for me as of yet. i saw a 650b deSalvo in an issue of mountain flyer that looked pretty sweet. I think a 650b w/ front shock ss would be the ultimate.

jontotman

I got my 29rSS GF Rig 08 early this year and lovin' it. All I have to do is buy a pair of strong legs and young lungs. :eek:

RNG1

Nothing crazy just my old Rocky Mountain frame that I converted to ss with a kit.

SpartaBard

Ya' sure about that?

Whilst I was lurking around Halter's yesterday, I noticed a small Air 9 that jdog had there. Except for the wheels, it didn't look any bigger than your Epic.

I took a look at Specialized's archive and a couple years ago a small Epic had a standover of 29.4" and a 21.8" top tube.

The small Air9 has a 28.2" stand over with 23.1" top tube. The SIR9 has the same TT and a 27.9" stand over.

So unless the 1" longer top tube isn't manageable for you, I'd say you could be 29ering--it is just a matter of finding the "right" frame. Niner says min height is 5' 4"...and they tend to size small, so someone even shorter than that could *probably* get away with it. They say 6-6'4" for a large (what I have) and I'm 5'10" on a tall day...

The stand over height is usually the issue, but I did have a conversation with jdog at some point regarding the possibility. If your numbers are correct, than it could be a possibility at some point. Sean and I had a conversation about it at some point and there was some other issue beyond stand over that I am failing to remember.

I have the MUSS also.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, after starting out 29er heavy, this vote has gotten much closer. Currently 17-19!

Wazu

Yeah Norm, really. Ya gotta figure a few of the 26 ers are multi gear conversions though. The 29ers are all new. So I'm sure 29 er sales are higher. Or maybe not lol. peace

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Here are my ss Mary(29) Evil DOC (26) surly crosscheck (700)= i ride them all but voted 29ER

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Yeah Norm, really. Ya gotta figure a few of the 26 ers are multi gear conversions though. The 29ers are all new. So I'm sure 29 er sales are higher. Or maybe not lol. peace

I have not sold a 26" SS in really,really long time.

If interbike was any indicator, most companies have stopped making 26" ss bikes as completes. Or at least they were not embraced by the online media.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shocking that it's at 22-22 now.

Ok maybe "shocking" is a strong word. But still.

Top Bottom