if you dont have one...get one

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
im talking about a road bike kids...in just 4 rides all 20+ miles ive seen a huge increase in power and speed and endurance out on the trails...and from what i understand its gonna keep going up...so count pedals and shoes if you want and take $700 and get an entry level road bike...you dont need a carbon fork or anything crazy (but it is cool to have a carbon bike like that)...just hit the road...my breathing and legs have never been better...and dont forget to read the how to stay alive thread in the tour de nj section...it helps a lot...

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
im just saying...i love my MTB so ill ride the road 3 days a week to get stronger at it...and drop 20lbs to get down to fighting weight

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I hear ya my brother I did close to 40 on the road sunday morning then took my wife to manasquan for 5 around the reservoir... (plus I get to wear matchy-matchys )

Wobbegong

Road riding will raise your fitness, no doubt. Hours of pedaling non stop will do that to you. Join a road riding club like the freewheelers to really push yourself.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Road riding will raise your fitness, no doubt. Hours of pedaling non stop

plus its different gears...harder gears and the not wanting to get killed so you ride fast...then i get on the MTB and the easier gears i hammer through them...my average on the road is 16mph...and usually do 20+miles...not sure im ready for a road riding club yet...me and a friend go out on the road...in time

ebineezer

i've given some thought to getting a road bike...im always riding my mountain bike on the streets to keep in shape

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I resisted the road bike for awhile and when I got one October I had no idea it would transform my riding. Not to mention, I ride 4 times as much now.

Screw the matchy-matchy suits though, that is just nonsense (unless you are on a team ofcourse)!

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i've given some thought to getting a road bike...im always riding my mountain bike on the streets to keep in shape

I started to do that myself then found I was burning through tires too fast....
that was along time ago..picked up the road bike now I split it between the 2 and if the trails are too sloppy i can still get a ride in.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Friend of mine lent me his 10+ year old Kestral 200 sci and I took it for my first real ride this morning. This loop on my mountain bike takes me 1hr 5-10min normally. I did it on the road bike in 50min. Amazing the speed you can maintain. The loop I do runs from the bottom of sparta glen to the top and is mostly uphill. While it might be harder to spin, its so dam light compared to my mtn bike, I thought it was cake to get uphills with. Bars are really annoying though, my hands were numb in 10 minutes.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Got a road bike in February and proceeded to tear the legs off my competition all race season.
Well, maybe not that extreme, but it created a huge difference for my fitness and stamina. And the single greatest training tool -- hooking that bad boy up to a trainer and spinning some intervals for 2 hours. Boring as hell but huge gains in performance.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
got my roadie in jan and it has absolutely made a huge difference in my riding. granted, i'm really not in "race shape" (or maybe just not in single speed race shape??) but i can tell the difference in the woods on group rides. much, more endurance, much faster recovery times and just much faster.

now i probably do three or four road rides for every mtb ride that i do. i remember when i lived on the tourne one of my buddies told me that he barely ever rode his mtb b/c riding the road was so much easier. i laughed at him. silly me.

Liv2Ride

Picked up a new road bike(Specialized Allez Triple) myself after using my old mountain bike to commute back and forth to work.I love the way this bike rides on the road as compared to the mountain bike on the road,only thing was I just had to get used to the different riding position,leaning more forward than on my mounatin bike and also the shifting was strange.:hmmm:Had to get used to tapping the brake lever and pushing a button to shift.But otherwise yes i would say go get one if anyone plans to do any road riding for whatever reason!!:D

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i have a track bike that i ride and train for the MTB on, its a good exercise but it wears you out really bad after 10-15 miles of the hills around here, id like to get a road bike for longer rides, but i dont have the room for another bike right now

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Been there, done that. I bought a road bike back in the fall of 2003 and rode it all through 2004. It definitely helped my race conditioning and I was in the best shape/lowest weight of my life. But that was also because we didn't have kids and I could take off for 5-6 hour epic road rides.

Ultimately, though, I sold the road bike. While it definitely made me a faster mtb racer, the road rides were BORING. Now I've got limited time to ride thanks to work, the bike club and my son, and hell if I'm going to waste the little free time I have on road riding. ;)

BTW- the proceeds from the sale of my road bike went into paying for my freeride bike, and that was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made. ;)

sixseven

I have used a car in the past for road rides and it worked just fine. I bike to the train everyday now, that's enough thrill time for me!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
If I didn't have my Road bike sometimes I wouldn't ride at all (especially now with the 2 kids), to me any ride is better than NO ride....and it helps to keep my Z-Lo ass in shape!:getsome:

Top Bottom