idiots guide to changing a road flat

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not at all a techy..... I can change my MTB tubes/tires, I can change my own brake pads, that's about it. I just love to ride.

Anyway, after one full year of riding my 'new' road bike I finally had a flat. Luckily I was at home. Removing the tire and tube was no problem at all. Installing the tube was a bit harder than a MTB tire, but still no problem. Then I tried to put back on the tire. I struggled as hard as a I could, used every tire tool I had, pull and twisted until every fingernail was broke, sweating, cursing....there was no freakin way I could get it back on. I waited until my husband came home, he got it on but did say "this is going to break my thumbs" while doing so. Worried that I could never change a road flat, I took it all apart and tried again. Second time was just as hard as the first. No way was I getting that tire on :mad::mad::mad:

Is there some trick I'm missing here? I see women tri-roadies change a tire in minutes. I'm not some pansy girlie-girl :confused: I'm now afraid to ride (which I usually do alone) because if I flat, I'm walking.

ArmyOfNone

pedros%20tyre%20levers.jpg

Do you have these? If not you need them. They make life very easy.

BiknBen

The bead of some tires have a smaller circumference then others. Some Rims have a larger circumference than others. The wrong combination can cause headaches.

There are a few tricks to make things easier. They are just nearly impossible to explain. I suggest you ask a shop guy to show you.

This link just covers the basics but it is a start.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
pink is always better ;). On my first long road ride, I got 5 flats. I can report that I had a bit of trouble too. I did finally make it home that day with some great experiences to remember.

Someone that works in a shop would know better than me, but from my experience, wire bead and 21c tires are harder than 23c. Soap and water or spit on rim reduces friction. Working the lever back and forth to try to get it to slide down the lever will usually not brake the lever in half. I have also heard two different thoughts on valve side first or last. I would try both.

Don't stop riding. Try a different tire. It may be an evil combination like Ben said. I had one of those and it was a mountain bike tire too.

Top Bottom