I want to try Diablo but am not a DHer!

Engignar

I wanted to start a thread where anyone who is thinking about going to Diablo but is not a "regular" there can come and ask questions. I also want to use it as a place where we can organize rides at Diablo for varying ability levels. Last year I went to Diablo for the first time. I ride predominately XC, and was a bit apprehensive about what I was getting myself into. What I found was that there is terrain there for mid level abilities and up, and riding with others who were around my level allowed me to take my game to the next level without getting in too far over my head.

If you have thought about going to Diablo, post up, and we can organize some DH beginner rides.

P.S. - I am not trying to exclude DHers or Diablo regulars in any way, I encourage you to join/ lead these rides and answer the questions posted.

Anyone interested in going on May 17/18?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I wanted to start a thread where anyone who is thinking about going to Diablo but is not a "regular" there can come and ask questions. I also want to use it as a place where we can organize rides at Diablo for varying ability levels. Last year I went to Diablo for the first time. I ride predominately XC, and was a bit apprehensive about what I was getting myself into. What I found was that there is terrain there for mid level abilities and up, and riding with others who were around my level allowed me to take my game to the next level without getting in too far over my head.

If you have thought about going to Diablo, post up, and we can organize some DH beginner rides.

P.S. - I am not trying to exclude DHers or Diablo regulars in any way, I encourage you to join/ lead these rides and answer the questions posted.

i would definitely like to try it out, i'll post up closer to the date

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
may will be tough for me, but i'll be down for something in the summer without a doubt. i'm sure i could convince a friend or three to come along as well.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i would def be down for going im pretty sure my FS Rocky Mountain etsx10 can handle the type of riding you speak of...i think i can too...my next 2 buys were a full face and shin gaurds anyway and it would be nice to not have to rent someone elses sweat head helmut...i like to have my own gear...

cheney

I should be able to make it out that weekend. I went for the first time last summer and became hooked. I probably have about 10-12 days there. I am no local but i would be willing to take some people around. I am pretty familiar with the terrain.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
we tried to do a "mtbnj.com" DH day at diablo last year but it was too late in the season. i'd be up for it. hell, maybe i could find a client that rides and could write it off! anyone know anyone that works in advertising in NYC?

cheney

anyone in need of a Landscape Architect and wants to consult on the trails?:getsome::getsome::getsome:

f2f4

I'd love to go to Diablo sometime.

Chances are 17/18 would be too early (I may not be back in the states by then), but we will see.

DownhillR3

Just to let you guys in on a tip, i'd hate to see you guys get there & go "oh ****". That weekend is race weekend. It will be a mad house, not the best weekend for a "ride". Fun weekend to hang but won't be the best on the mountain for just get together. Especially since its the weekend before the USOPEN.

T

the_double_b

I'm in for Diablo!

It's the reason, I brought my Bike across to the US!
I'm no DH/FR expert but have to check it out! If you guys go there anytime, please notice me some days prior to this.

latenightrabbit

Kittatinny Rider, first time @v Diablo

Hey all,
I checked out Diablo for the first time today and it was pretty d*mn amazing yet intimidating from the get go. Basically I ride Kittatinny (and similar) a bunch and I'm not even close to a good rider but Diablo is possible for anyone that is comfortable coming down from the needle (either side) at Kittatinny. When you fall (I went over the bars plenty) it's a little brutal but know your skill level. Definitely rock pads and a full-face. Even on the green trails you'll find stairs, 1-2ft doubles, pipes, ladders and mini drops. Everyone there is real cool and are quick to help you out, even though you might get the feeling they're with the Hell's Angels.

I've been riding for under a year, left real busted up yet still got a season pass. H*ll, it's the only way to learn. Hope that helps.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Hey all,
I checked out Diablo for the first time today and it was pretty d*mn amazing yet intimidating from the get go.

Yesterday was a tough day even for those of us who've been riding Diablo for years. The wet conditions always step up the difficulty a few notches. If you had fun in the wet, it's even more fun when it's dry. ;)

The new building they're doing- creating more trails for beginner and intermediate riders- is fantastic. It's more XC-friendly than it's ever been...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
would be pretty cool if they had two uphill only trails on either side, climbing the perimeter to the top, where you could access the old xc stuff on the backside, or bomb down one of the downhill runs.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
would be pretty cool if they had two uphill only trails on either side, climbing the perimeter to the top, where you could access the old xc stuff on the backside, or bomb down one of the downhill runs.

Maybe if we got a group of us from the site together and offered to do the work ourselves?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Climb up from behind the church at South or behind the DQ. I'll give you $20 if you can get past Orrechio at the bottom w/o a pass.:rofl:

Spylab

Climb up from behind the church at South or behind the DQ. I'll give you $20 if you can get past Orrechio at the bottom w/o a pass.:rofl:

Actually, there is nothing that Shawn or the Diablo staff can to do stop you. Your lift ticket is just that; you are paying to use the lift, not specifically to ride the mountain. On Diabloween 2006 the winds were gusting to 50+ MPH which automatically overrides and shuts down the gondolas. Diablo refunded everyone's money, and had no problem letting folks hike the mountain and ride back down. I think you'd be too tired by the time you reached the summit to be able to concentrate on riding smart back down.

Also, my crew are all season pass holders and we love meeting new people and leading them around a little. I would guess that we will be up most weekends (either Sat or Sun). If you want to track us down, look for:

MIKE (me) - Khaki Giant Reign with a gold leaf Spylab decal by the BB
BOBBY - Khaki Giant Faith with a gold leaf Spylab decal on the rear triangle
BRYAN - Paprika Iron Horse Yakuza with a white Boxxer fork
RYAN - Chrome Santa Cruz Bullitt

Diablo purpose built a new trail named 'Greenhorn' to introduce riders to the sport. Wide ladder bridges, moderate grade, groomed soil - this will help all you XC-folk get a little comfortable with the terrain, your bikes and your skills. From there you have a ton of options to scope out based on your comfort level.

Top Bottom