I want to try Diablo but am not a DHer!

dhsean

You still need a pass and there is a fee if you want to ride the trails and not use the lift. It is way cheaper than a lift ticket but you still have to pay to use the trails. They put a lot of time and money into the trails and business is business. I can't wait to get up there this weekend.

Spylab

Trust me, I am not encouraging anyone to try riding up the mountain and then riding back down all day; besides skirting Diablo as a business, riding up the fire roads is downright dangerous when you have guys reaching 40+ mph coming the other direction. I based my response off the events of Diabloween a couple years back, and I imagine if you rode up the fire road on the back side of the mountain (eventually coming up by the start of Tempest), made one run down and then rode back out to Rt. 94, no one would give you any problems.

Keep in mind, Diablo is developing and expanding the XC loop that has been left to ruins up at the top of the hill. They were talking about cleaning it up and carving out some more challenging and better flowing lines - I imagine when it's done, they will offer a discount pass to ride the lift up once and spend as long as you'd like in the XC area.

But regardless, Diablo was not built to cater to cross country riders and will never put any emphasis on it, so you guys better shed the lycra, strap on a full face helmet and give it a shot!

NJMX835

You can get to the top of Diablo from the back of the mountain starting from the top of Hamburg mountain on 515, but if you choose to ride down the face of Diablo you're going to have a bit of a road ride back to your car.

latenightrabbit

Listen to Spylab

Yeah, I dig the xc/uphill stuff as well but when you get to the base at Diablo you'll be just as wiped out (different muscles though). It's too much fun to miss out on! It'll make you come home, buy a compound miter and chainsaw to build stunts to practice on.

Top Bottom