I want to race - but have questions

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, you guys convinced me. I think im going to do the lewis morris race.

So as a motocrosser, im used to starting side by side with 40 guys and going into the first trying to avoid the dogpile. Is that how XC races are run? Everyone starts at once or do they stagger it?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You line up with your class, and then they stagger each age group by about a minute or so starting with the young'uns...It's not like 100 people free-for-all, albeit seems to end up that way once you get into the woods;)

-Jim.

briser

I had a blast at Wawayanda

Hi All -

I want to try racing a couple or few times this year but have some questions I'm hoping you can help with.

How long are most of the races? (distance/time)
Is there a directory of races coming up?
Is there a place I can see race results? I'd like to time myself, and make sure I should show up (or just train more).

I found the 24 Hours of Allamuchy - but that might be a bit much for my first race out.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement to race. I did yesterday (Mens Beginner 30 - 39) and had a blast. It was harder than I thought it'd be but I think I held my own for my first race. I think I was 9th of 22 with a 53:30 time.
Everybody was very cool too! I met a bunch of different people, and everyone was quick to introduce themselves.
Up in NY for the next two races is a bit far, but I'll see you at the Lewis Morris event.

Thanks!
Brian

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement to race. I did yesterday (Mens Beginner 30 - 39) and had a blast. It was harder than I thought it'd be but I think I held my own for my first race. I think I was 9th of 22 with a 53:30 time.
Everybody was very cool too! I met a bunch of different people, and everyone was quick to introduce themselves.
Up in NY for the next two races is a bit far, but I'll see you at the Lewis Morris event.

Thanks!
Brian

Ya since im 31, I guess I would be in the same class as you. Hope to see you there.

Shaggz

A strong 7

Thanks!
Brian
Brian, I was in your class, too. What bike were you riding?

briser

Brian, I was in your class, too. What bike were you riding?
I was the guy who was not properly equipped riding my 5 yr old entry level Trek. It is blue.
My equipment learnings were:
1. A rubber band does not hold a Poland Spring bottle in the holder very long. I was extremely thirsty by the end of the race.
2. Wear shoes that are secured to your feet. I was wearing slip on sneakers that are one size too big and during a downhill my foot slipped off the pedal and I kicked my shoe into the woods. I had to stop and go find it.
3. A bald rear tire means difficulty pedaling over wet rocks. It also means the rear brake locks the rear tire up constantly.
4. Having all of your gears in beneficial. My bike won't shift into gear 7.
5. Eye protection. I got mud slung into my eye. I was not wearing eye protection.

How about you? What were you riding?

Shaggz

A strong 7
i was the fat guy wearing knickers on the brownish orange trance :D. my gear woes included rear shock getting stuck in the compressed position, nasty front brake rub and snapping a wing off each pedal

xc62701

I'm assuming they were those Crank Bro's Chromoly pedals? If so send em back to c bro's and they will probably replace em or maybe upgrade em fo free.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well briser you are making me feel better about doing this race on my raliegh mojave. I figured I would be wasting my time racing with it.

I have to say im totally uncofortable riding in the woods with these silly bike helmets. On my motorcycle, I have personally broken 2 full face MX helmets (while they were attached to my head) and riding without a chin bar makes me cringe. Maybe I will bust out my big dumb helmet and you guys can all point and laugh at me. :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
I'm assuming they were those Crank Bro's Chromoly pedals? If so send em back to c bro's and they will probably replace em or maybe upgrade em fo free.

Did you per chance hit your pedal on a rock? There seemed to be quite a bit of those there:D

-Jim.
this will be my second time getting the wings repaired on these pedals. CB customer service is fantastic.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I was the guy who was not properly equipped riding my 5 yr old entry level Trek. It is blue.
My equipment learnings were:
1. A rubber band does not hold a Poland Spring bottle in the holder very long. I was extremely thirsty by the end of the race.
2. Wear shoes that are secured to your feet. I was wearing slip on sneakers that are one size too big and during a downhill my foot slipped off the pedal and I kicked my shoe into the woods. I had to stop and go find it.
3. A bald rear tire means difficulty pedaling over wet rocks. It also means the rear brake locks the rear tire up constantly.
4. Having all of your gears in beneficial. My bike won't shift into gear 7.
5. Eye protection. I got mud slung into my eye. I was not wearing eye protection.

How about you? What were you riding?

Nice! This is the best race write up yet. :hysterica The shoe part is great.
:D

Top Bottom