I wanna get fast!

Hey Tyler,

I'm 19, 6'1, 195 lbs. and this is what works for me, I apologize for the length:
Breakfast: lots of eggs, whole grain cereal (pick your favorite), pancakes or French toast, meat (sausage or bacon), Banana, water, fruit juice, and whole milk.
Lunch: Plain Pizza, More cereal, another piece of fruit, water, fruit juice, whole milk.
Dinner: Meat(chicken or steak), more pizza, pasta, more cereal, more fruit, water, fruit juice, whole milk, all fruit smoothie.
This is the most beneficial selection of food that the dining halls of Rutgers provides, and while monotonous, it does me well. I vary quantity of the carbs I mentioned (cereal, pizza, pasta, etc.) based on how much I have ridden/plan to ride that day. For a snack/energy, I usually have a dark chocolate bar and more milk. Obviously before a ride I load up on water. I don't consume any Soda, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Tobacco, drugs, alcohol, or caffeine(aside from the small levels in chocolate).
My riding schedule consists of this. all road riding is done on my mountain bike with 2.0 Kevlar tires at 70 psi, so rolling resistance is at a minimum. Road miles are broken up between classes, and at a moderate to vigorous( if I'm running late:D) pace, as well.
Sunday: 3 miles road, 20 min weight training.
Monday: 9 miles road, 2 hrs. trail
Tuesday: 1.5 hrs. Trail, 7 miles road
Wednesday: 3 miles road, 20 min weight training.
Thursday: 12 miles road
Friday: 3 miles road
Saturday: none, 20 min weight training.
I haven't been riding for that long(3 months), but I can see the progress and I'm still improving quickly. Haven't raced so don't know where I would hold up to anybody else, but hopefully with a winter of training I'll be ready for some H2H events, which I remember you showing interest in as well. This is what works for me, and I hope you can take some things and put them to use. As was said, lock your bike up to anything that doesn't move and you'll be set. Maybe you could even throw it in a friend's car or store it in the Gym or something. We'll have to get together and ride the Rutgers EP again soon and you need to show me around chimney rock.

Jim

so all i have to do is eat good and i will be fast?

like everyone else said, RIDE RIDE RIDE, and when youre tired, RIDE some more.

I think what ill do is try to get fast over the winter by riding almost everyday. Eating right and pushing myself alittle farther each ride, but mainly having fun! :)

Last edited:
if none of that works

theres always EPO and HGH

ride your bike and have fun

because even if you turn out to be the next Lance it wont matter if you dont enjoy it

I haven't really been pushing this as of late, but you could buy a single speed and ride up the biggest hills you can find.

I have to agree with Walter try to get a single speed bike and ride it on a trail and hit all those hills. You can start with 20 cogs and when you can ride your single speed bike in Ringwood, Skyline, Blue Mountain etc... etc...with ease you can work it down to 18 cogs and 16 cogs depending on which trail your riding. And yes like everyone said RIDE... RIDE... RIDE...

riding to school for any significant distance isn't that enticing with a 25lbs+ backpack...

I ride to and from work, 7 miles in, 20 - 30 miles home. Backpack with stuff is about 15 lbs, but can be over 20 if I have my laptop. Hills + backpack = fast uphill - backpack.

Ride advice - see Norm. Ride as much as possible and have fun.

Time yourself on the same trail so you can see your progress, that helps a lot. Seeing progress measured always fosters better results.
Try racing. I did one race last year and it was an eye opener. Shooting to get in a little better shape and do a few next season.

Back
Top Bottom