I think its time for new brakes...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I am in no way a bike mechanic, but I think my brakes are fried.

I've felt bad brakes on cars, and that is exactly how my bike feels. After I tighten the cables it still feels the same. My Jamis has its original "Tektro Io cable-actuated disc brakes", whats a decent upgrade? how much am i looking to spend?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
i'm in the same boat, I think I am ready for Hydros on my Koko...I've had the Avid Mechanicals for too long....so what's a decent set of Hydros...?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
liek cars, is it best to replace the rotors and pads at the same time? i feel like my calipers are a little glazed over :\

They are 7"inch rotors.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
liek cars, is it best to replace the rotors and pads at the same time? i feel like my calipers are a little glazed over :\

They are 7"inch rotors.

no need to replaced the rotors unless they are bent or really really really worn down. You can clean them with rubbing alcohol but make sure you do it off the bike and let them dry be reinstalling since the disc brake pads are like sponges.

J-Dro

no need to replaced the rotors unless they are bent or really really really worn down. You can clean them with rubbing alcohol but make sure you do it off the bike and let them dry be reinstalling since the disc brake pads are like sponges.

I agree with you, and I've never swapped out my rotors when changing pads. But I read an article in MBA a few months ago where they made it seem mandatory to throw out the rotor and install a new one every time new pads were installed.:hmmm: Seems like overkill to me.

kush

i never actually took off the rotors before cleaning them with alcohol. that doesn't seem to bother pads. what does mess up pads is contaminating them with any kind of cleaner, degreaser, lube, etc.

but what you could do first before replacing is take the pads out, give them a bit of 180 grit (or any between 150-200) sandpaper and then burn them in by some hard braking for a few minutes. see if that helps. of course if upon inspection they're almost to the metal, just replace them

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ill be doing some checking today :) if not halters sale on friday will be my playground!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
But I read an article in MBA a few months ago where they made it seem mandatory to throw out the rotor and install a new one every time new pads were installed.:hmmm: Seems like overkill to me.

That particular issue was probably sponsered by Hayes/Avid/Magura over Specialized...:D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I agree with you, and I've never swapped out my rotors when changing pads. But I read an article in MBA a few months ago where they made it seem mandatory to throw out the rotor and install a new one every time new pads were installed.:hmmm: Seems like overkill to me.

I have only seen a few truly worn out rotors. In most cases you won't need to replace the rotor for a very long time.

If you can mic. the rotor near the hub and also at the brake track you could measure the difference.

I have no clue how much wear is acceptable but use your head.

j

rlb

Shimao XTs look nice for hydros. I spent some time researching them a few weeks ago and the reviews were good. Plus they don't use DOT brake fluid that cars do, so your paint wont get eaten up if there is an accidental spill.

ArmyOfNone

the new avids! they have pretty colors! and j says theyre good!

I have been running the bb7s for quite some time now and they have very reliable. You will be surprised the difference in from your brakes now. I hope to have hydros on my bike soon.

Cheapest route is to change the pads.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Shimao XTs look nice for hydros. I spent some time researching them a few weeks ago and the reviews were good. Plus they don't use DOT brake fluid that cars do, so your paint wont get eaten up if there is an accidental spill.

The 09' xt's are even better.

I still put magura 1st in my book but Shimano is a close 2nd.

http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/frameset.htm

The New Julie is the most basic brake and I am pretty sure that they are in the $200 ish range for a set.. Might be more though.

j

Top Bottom