I think I'm done with Fox dropper posts

I've had 4 or 5 of them over the years and always have the same issues. after about 6 months they start not dropping with weight on the saddle and start to return slow or not all the way. And every single one I have owned has the actuator on the bottom of the post corrode to the point that it seizes up and breaks when they try to remove it. I just sent my 2 posts in for service because of these symptoms and they are charging me $260 to rebuild/repair one and $145 for the other. I just had the one serviced in July. Fox wants you to send them in every 6 months for the $100 service.

Fuck this, i'm switching to PNW loam posts

Anyone else have similar issues?
I have a crankbros highline for sale if you're interested.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
not one mention of Thomson post?
I have one bought from here but never installed it yet.
I honestly could live without a dropper post. I have them on the bikes and use them but I just think they intrude on my riding focus.
The service on those start at $165 and up, plus shipping.

FitmanNJ

Those are great. Just until they aren't.
I have a BikeYoke Revive, too, and it’s worked great. The thought to reaming myself on it, though, has been a great concern. I just sent it in for replacement of the two-piece “stem” that was vulnerable to fatigue fracture with their new, one-piece forged stem. I’m hoping that this will eliminate the failure concern as implied by BikeYoke, although, as @Bike N Gear will attest, they’ve been evasive and talking out of both sides of their mouth more often than not regarding this issue.

I had to send my Revive “1.0” to the “authorized“ repair center, DirtLabs in Colorado, for the work. They also did a standard service of the dropper (~$160 w shipping), with the new stem part and labor “free” for the price of the standard service (the dropper hadn’t been serviced after nearly 3 years of use — it had just started to show some signs of slow-return). I expect delivery of the converted Revive (“2.0,” as BikeYoke is referring to it) later today.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have a BikeYoke Revive, too, and it’s worked great. The thought to reaming myself on it, though, has been a great concern. I just sent it in for replacement of the two-piece “stem” that was vulnerable to fatigue fracture with their new, one-piece forged stem. I’m hoping that this will eliminate the failure concern as implied by BikeYoke, although, as @Bike N Gear will attest, they’ve been evasive and talking out of both sides of their mouth more often than not regarding this issue.

I had to send my Revive “1.0” to the “authorized“ repair center, DirtLabs in Colorado, for the work. They also did a standard service of the dropper (~$160 w shipping), with the new stem part and labor “free” for the price of the standard service (the dropper hadn’t been serviced after nearly 3 years of use — it had just started to show some signs of slow-return). I expect delivery of the converted Revive (“2.0,” as BikeYoke is referring to it) later today.

Good luck. Someone's gotta be the guinea pig. Not me.
If my AXS fails like that at least Sram has enough money to settle a big lawsuit.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've never used a Fox, but I bought a PNY Ridge to replace my busted Reverb. It was $129 brand new, and it has worked flawlessly since I bought it ~9 months ago. This probably goes without saying, but I have done zero maintenance on it. I figure that for the amount I use it, even if I just buy a new one every year it's totally worth it.

Well, my Ridge dropper lasted 10 months. Guess I'll be finding out how their customer service/warranty process is. I should at least be able to get a refund from REI if that fails. In the meantime I put a regular post on and am on Amazon trying to get a new one overnighted.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, my Ridge dropper lasted 10 months. Guess I'll be finding out how their customer service/warranty process is. I should at least be able to get a refund from REI if that fails. In the meantime I put a regular post on and am on Amazon trying to get a new one overnighted.
I have an internal Reverb 31.8 if you need a loaner. May Stephens tomorrow. They are the best droppers. j/k

jklett

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yeah. I just ordered a Fox to replace it and will then go through the warranty process with this one so that I have a spare for next time.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My brand new fox dropper is already having issues. Maybe 1 out of 3 times I use it doesn’t fully return. Have to drop it to the bottom again to get it return fully.
After two reverbs that developed squish I switched to a pnw Rainer on my hardtail. It’s the only dropper I’ve had that has been trouble free, and the 200mm drop is luxury:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My brand new fox dropper is already having issues. Maybe 1 out of 3 times I use it doesn’t fully return. Have to drop it to the bottom again to get it return fully.
After two reverbs that developed squish I switched to a pnw Rainer on my hardtail. It’s the only dropper I’ve had that has been trouble free, and the 200mm drop is luxury:
so are you returning it to Fox? They are good with warranty

Jmann

so are you returning it to Fox? They are good with warranty
The shop I purchased it from is over an hour from me, so I’ll probably email them to see if they have any ideas. I really don’t want to send it back so I’m hoping there’s an easy solution. I read that improper clamp torque could be a culprit. Will post results.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lighten up on the seatclamp. My one up droppers don't like more than 4nm and generally I run about 3.5nm for maximum performance. No slips unless I have a spectacular crash also no carbon paste just light grease . Any more torque than 4nm and that top out thunk is hit or miss

Karate Monkey

Lighten up on the seatclamp. My one up droppers don't like more than 4nm and generally I run about 3.5nm for maximum performance. No slips unless I have a spectacular crash also no carbon paste just light grease . Any more torque than 4nm and that top out thunk is hit or miss

Depends on the seatpost clamp. 4-5nm is a good guideline for 5mm steel hardware that tightens directly on one ear to the other.

I've got titanium as well (needs a bit more), one that has barrel hardware (allows the screw pressure to remain inline with the fastener/still tighten the ears together) that needs less, and an all-aluminum clamp with scandium bolt (needs absurdly more--9-10nm).

Jmann

That’s the first thing I’m going to try. I thought I had it torqued correctly but remembered I adjusted it during a ride with a multi tool.

Top Bottom