I tasted the Kool-aid and loved it!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just may be moving over to the Darkside in the near future.

Let me start off by saying that I'm 5'4" and a half. The past three days I've been testing out a borrowed small Giant 29er. The bike comes in a XS also. When I parked the 29er next to my Fisher 26er, the seat height and handlebar height were identical.

Day 1. I rode at LM. I chose an easy place just to get a feel for the bike. I did not feel the slightest bit awkward on it, it actually fit very well and it did not feel 'big'. The front did not seem twitchy and it handled very well. I saw a noticeable difference in how it handled while climbing. However, it is 'heavier' and did take more strength to climb. It takes more power just to turn the crank on a 29er, so granny isn't near as easy as granny on my 26er.

Day 2. I rode at Harsthorne with Mare. I chased her around and was able to keep up with her on the climbs....not something I can normally do. By the end of the ride I was thinking the bike was quite befitting, although the lack of 'granny' as I know it was still bothering me. When I'm tired I drop down into granny and just spin my legs up hills, which is not something I could do on this bike.

Day 3 was the true test. RV. This is my home court and I know exactly how I should feel at pretty much every spot in that place. I'm usually spent by the time I reach the switchbacks heading out, so I usually spin my way up them in the easiest gear I have. I figured if I couldn't get up the switchbacks on the 29er, the bike isn't for me.
Well, let me say I just may have had the funnest ride ever today!! I noticed a huge difference in the climbing. There are a few spots there that always get me, and I still couldn't climb them today so a 29er isn't some magical answer to climbing. However, what I did climb I did with much more control and finesse than I ever have had. Plowing up the 'big' hill over those rocks was exhilarating. The rock gardens were near effortless. On level ground, it's almost as though the bike was propelling itself forward. I found myself going too fast at some points! Heading out, when I got to the switchbacks I felt good. I was able to climb up them without any problem, yippee! I definitely noticed that I was using more force to climb out, but I wasn't that tired. 'Spinning' is exhausting cardiovascularly. Since I couldn't 'spin' my legs, I think I was less tired and therefore had the strength to muscle my way up.

Not once during the three rides did I miss the rear suspension.

If I had to buy a bike tomorrow I think it would be a 29er! I still want to test ride some other bikes. But don't let anyone tell you that 29ers are for the big guys. I loved it:D

BShow

Excellent! I ride with a woman who is 5'6"-5'7" and she is on a Medium Niner Air9. Niner offers a small frame, which would be something worth looking into. I think Niner has their geometry dialed in really well. They're priced pretty competetively, too. You can pick up an EMD frame on the cheap and spec it out however you like to accommodate most budgets.

kush

Sherry, cool (or kool). Welcome to the dark side. In a certain respect, whatever makes riding more better and exciting is a good thing, whether 29", 36", or unicycle.

Top Bottom