I ripped my G Form Knee Pads. Are they salvageable?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First off, I did buy a new pair. But I was kind of hoping I could keep these as a backup. The protective knee pad part is fine. I just totally ripped a giant hole right next to it. Anyone ever have luck actually patching these up? With the stretchy material and the weird whatever material of the pad, can it even be patched up?

PXL_20210825_150256263.jpg

PXL_20210825_150306454.jpg

EDIT: @Patrick I think i stuck this is the wrong spot... move to wherever might be more appropriate

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First off, I did buy a new pair. But I was kind of hoping I could keep these as a backup. The protective knee pad part is fine. I just totally ripped a giant hole right next to it. Anyone ever have luck actually patching these up? With the stretchy material and the weird whatever material of the pad, can it even be patched up?

View attachment 165761

View attachment 165762

my wife has stitched up thermal tights for me in the past with good luck (similar material), and it holds up fine, if the hole bothers you i would go ahead and stitch it closed, you got nothing to lose.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have not had much success with the “tape” repair products for stretchy material/ spandex, especially at flex points. I have tried many different options (including the one @moose35 mentioned) and it all pulls off eventually. Rapha repair people use something that works well, which is a combination of an iron on patch with a stitched edge, but I never asked them what it is.

In any case, can you just sew it? It looks like you can stretch the material enough to fill the gap, however If you need to add material you can sacrifice an old set of shorts or jersey. For as thin as these materials are, they typically hold a stitch well. For the knee pad side, us an awl/reamer (the one on a swiss army knife or the smooth ones for sewing)
1629910435328.png

to expand the hole or use the existing holes with a heavy duty needle.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Like @stb222 said, you might need some donor material. Pink it (the crinkly scissors), since it's really fragile/prone to unraveling.

I've got some sun sleeves that are torn from pedal strikes/etc you can have, if you want. They're white, though.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have sewn near identical tears in my G-forms and they have held up well.

jvrock

I just wear mine with the holes. I have rips in the elbow pads. Those things are made of toilet paper but I love them because I can wear them under my jersey when riding DH.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks guys! I'm going to give it a shot and try to patch them up when I get back (heading to Brevard for a few days). I'll see what I have lying around but if I need some material I might take you up on that offer @Karate Monkey

My mom's really good at sewing (she's way more patient and craftier than me) and I'll have her help me out so it has a better chance of surviving. 🤣

mtn

My opinion would be either use them as is or sew a patch from the threaded seam to the pad area.

Top Bottom