I need bike parts- help me UPDATE UPDATE

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had hoped to be posting final pics by now, but this is as far as I’m getting by year’s end, so I thought I’d update.

All y’all did massive on the call for parts, and the build is mostly paid for with thank you beers.
Thanks fam!

In particular, thanks to
@jklett for the frame that started this fool’s errand
@Juggernaut for a set of wheels far sweeter than this build or I deserve.
You certainly raised the bar on this one.
@Mr.Moto for derailleurs, tires and some sweet cable housing
@extremedave for a derailleur, and mocking texts
@jdgang for countless useful texts about compatability of parts that have no place on this frame, and the loan of a BB wrench
@Paul H and @moose35 for offer of more parts
@jmanic for handlebars, cassette and pedals

Parts I had to cash source:
Grips
Shifters
Brake calipers/levers
BB/cranks
Chain

Sitting at $310+beers

So to refresh, I’m tryna make a Gravel Roader out of an early 90’s GF Montare Mtb.
Cramming 700’s where they don’t belong, and tryna make it all work.
All that’s left is to cut the chain and dial in the ders, but I’m still foolishly optimistic.

Started with this:
F84EDF11-F179-4007-959F-A4BE77054063.jpeg

Roughly how it currently sits,
behold the Orange Whip:
882C1CCA-A773-4591-9B36-6226713B694B.jpeg
I’ll post up again once it’s finally done.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay, I’m still fiddling with fit, but ima say here’s the final pic of the Orange Whip- the gravel roader urban assault vehicle.
226335FC-B536-42FA-BF7A-BFB1AB1AA25B.jpeg
Latest tweak was swapping the 60mm stem for a hundo. Maybe coulda gone 90, maybe still will.
Unfortunately I went all surgical aero when I installed all the cables, so now with the longer stem, when I turn left the rear brake locks up and the derailleurs shift. Lol.
Something to square away during Super Game commercials on Sunday I guess.

Thanks @jklett @Juggernaut and all who gave me the encouragement and parts I needed on this fool’s errand!

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
NEW BIKE DAY!
C12F6992-02AB-4768-8D57-BFC10E91A166.jpeg

I FINALLY got to take this one out on a shakedown ride.

It’s everything that I hoped it would be.
Light, tight and snappy. And with the Schwalbe G-Ones, it rolls like a road bike on pavement, and they are 38’s, so they’ll handle gravel duty just fine too.
Just hope to god the tubelessness holds and I never have to field service them. They are the tightest fitting tire I’ve ever worked with.

Only 2 things of note on the ride:
There’s a little bit of tendency to flop from the front end when turning.
I think this is to be expected given I jammed a wagon wheel into a 26” fjork, and I’m pretty sure I won’t even notice going forward.
Second: rim brakes. Just need keep that in mind now that urrrrything else I run is disc. I’m thinking an upgrade to the stock Tektro pads will do wonders.
Kool-stop were my jam, time to revisit them.

Man this thing has me considering a bike commute.

Thanks again all!

Last edited:

jdgang

NEW BIKE DAY!
View attachment 118945

I FINALLY got to take this one out on a shakedown ride.

It’s everything that I hoped it would be.
Light, tight and snappy. And with the Schwalbe G-Ones, it rolls like a road bike on pavement, and they are 38’s, so they’ll handle gravel duty just fine too.
Just hope to god the tubelessness holds and I never have to field service them. They are the tightest fitting tire I’ve ever worked with.

Only 2 things of note on the ride:
There’s a little bit of tendency to flop from the front end when turning.
I think this is to be expected given I jammed a wagon wheel into a 26” fjork, and I’m pretty sure I won’t even notice going forward.
Second: rim brakes. Just need keep that in mind now that urrrrything else I run is disc. I’m thinking an upgrade to the stock Tektro pads will do wonders.
Kool-stop were my jam, time to revisit them.

Man this thing has me considering a bike commute.

Thanks again all!

Congrats...and about the G-Ones...i am glad i wasnt the only one. They are the hardest tires I have ever put on.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats...and about the G-Ones...i am glad i wasnt the only one. They are the hardest tires I have ever put on.
Yeah, fortunately they were already mounted to the wheel set (thanks @Juggernaut!) but I’ve got these on another bike, and yeah just holy hell.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sad day in history today:
Orange Whip has made its last tour
0D6AEC43-118C-46D0-9635-A05CBBE96A0E.jpeg

I may not be as graceful as I think I am- goon smashing a through a rock wall crossing resulted in this near surgical separation of the drive side chain stay.

It went out on a high note though-
At the end of the ride on one of our favorite local routes on a beautiful day with the Sussex County Allstars (most of them anyway)
3066403E-8071-41C6-88FA-26EF8A647919.jpeg

389400CA-2E49-4622-9C9E-A8F1CCD399EE.jpeg

Formerly @mtbiker87’sand then @jklett’s whip (early 90’s Gary Fisher Montare), in its last iteration as my pandemic choose your own adventure bike, it had a great run. It was equally adept at road and gravel and light trail, it was just fun on wheels.
Many great adventures.

Rest easy Orange Whip, your work here is done.

In memoriam Orange Whip 2020-2022
1E68C789-B927-432E-8F0E-59FE6E1D43B3.jpeg

842F570E-54E2-4371-A394-C2E039EEA8A7.jpeg

DD088198-E65F-4478-8621-4875E39B8FEB.jpeg
1BE807BB-4910-4D9C-826E-B1231FDDE68A.jpeg

92012D2C-45E7-4FF9-A276-411AC45F4180.jpeg

CD7E53C3-9354-4AF8-8666-24DA7E34385D.jpeg

CA43B5E5-9ED2-4750-957C-46A276E86ADE.jpeg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Sad day in history today:
Orange Whip has made its last tour
View attachment 183966

I may not be as graceful as I think I am- goon smashing a through a rock wall crossing resulted in this near surgical separation of the drive side chain stay.

It went out on a high note though-
At the end of the ride on one of our favorite local routes on a beautiful day with the Sussex County Allstars (most of them anyway)
View attachment 183967

View attachment 183968

Formerly @mtbiker87’sand then @jklett’s whip (early 90’s Gary Fisher Montare), in its last iteration as my pandemic choose your own adventure bike, it had a great run. It was equally adept at road and gravel and light trail, it was just fun on wheels.
Many great adventures.

Rest easy Orange Whip, your work here is done.

In memoriam Orange Whip 2020-2022
View attachment 183970

View attachment 183971

View attachment 183972
View attachment 183973

View attachment 183974

View attachment 183975

View attachment 183976
Wow, that is a clean break. Weld it back up and keep on going!

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, that is a clean break. Weld it back up and keep on going!
I’d love to, but to be honest, I knew it would fail at some point.
That I got away without losing teeth, I’m going to take the loss and move on.

Ejd

Derailleurs:
RD M781 XT SGS 10 speed
RD M773 XT Shadow 10 speed
RD M750 XT 9 Speed
FD M771 front derailleur

Velo Orange derailleur cable kit - Silver braided housing pre-cut pieces with cable and ferrules. New in bag.
If nobody needs the 9 speed derailleur l will buy it from you. Let me know

jdgang

i am crying on the inside. I spent many hours texting back and forth with jmanic on this build. I tiny part of my soul has been ripped away from me. I should not have gone to Cape May with my wife for the weekend and really should have spent that time with orange whip.

mtbiker87

RIP Orange (formerly dark blue) Montare ! Gone, but not forgotten ! Well used, well loved, and at least lived out it's last days in probably the best shape of it's life. Me ? Id find myself another 90's frame, swap the parts over, and keep the dream alive !

Top Bottom