I need a crown race for a ZS56/40 headset

w_b

Whoze got one? Bike is a Trail429 V2, fork is a Fox 34, if it matters. Hit me up Brohams.

serviceguy

Whoze got one? Bike is a Trail429 V2, fork is a Fox 34, if it matters. Hit me up Brohams.
Need to know what bearings and possibly what lower cup you’re using. Mostly the bearing to match the crown race contact surface angle. 45deg or 36deg?

w_b

Pivot OEM. Not sure who makes it. Only info I got is ZS56/40 lower headset. I’ve been told both the 52/40 and 56/40 zero stacks use the same race, logically seems wrong to me, but who TF knows? Not looking for a 2mm gap around the OD. Probably overthinking it.

Everyone wants to sell me a conversion race to use a 1-1/8“ steer tube fork on the 1.5” headset; not what I need…

Prolly call @jdog in the AM.

serviceguy

Pivot says the lower is ZS56, but again you need to know the lower inner bearing race angle to get the proper match.

w_b

Pivot came thru with the crown race and a set of bar end plugs to eliminate the pad loc grips. Nice guy, responded back to my email in a few hours. My company has a satellite office in Tempe literally around the block from them. When we were chitchatting he said next time I’m out there call in advance and they’ll set me up with a demo to rip on.

All these things make me smile.

serviceguy

Pivot came thru with the crown race and a set of bar end plugs to eliminate the pad loc grips. Nice guy, responded back to my email in a few hours. My company has a satellite office in Tempe literally around the block from them. When we were chitchatting he said next time I’m out there call in advance and they’ll set me up with a demo to rip on.

All these things make me smile.
Sooo, what is it then?

w_b

Sooo, what is it then?
Don’t know, Leo. Pivot said they had it and I said yes please. Not sure it even matters.

curious what happened to the headset that you need to replace already?
It’s all good, Joe. Just me being silly. Ever since the T429 Enduro build came out, I’ve been FOMO-ing royally. After searching around for awhile, I picked up an almost new 140mm fork from @tonyride when he upgraded to 160. My 130 needs basic PM for sure, and I just wanted to keep both forks ready to go. Plus, the boys will be in 6th grade next year, prolly can’t have too many forks.

Depending how the 140 rides, I may convert the 130. Then I’d be able to compare 44 and 51mm rakes back- to back.

serviceguy

Don’t know, Leo. Pivot said they had it and I said yes please. Not sure it even matters.
But I do need to know! I feed off little bits of insignificant information like this, they lodge themselves in my brain kicking out much more valuable info and stay there forever...you know, like when you have a tune in your head and can't remember who 's the artist or the name of the track. I had one of those stuck in my head for a few months once, then it came to me at a random time, I still remember it, it was 'Lobo Hombre in Paris' by 'La Union'...

When you install the new fork and the lower bearing will inevitably fall off the cup, would you mind sharing the specs written on its outer race, pleeeaaasse?!?!

w_b

But I do need to know! I feed off little bits of insignificant information like this, they lodge themselves in my brain kicking out much more valuable info and stay there forever...you know, like when you have a tune in your head and can't remember who 's the artist or the name of the track. I had one of those stuck in my head for a few months once, then it came to me at a random time, I still remember it, it was 'Lobo Hombre in Paris' by 'La Union'...

When you install the new fork and the lower bearing will inevitably fall off the cup, would you mind sharing the specs written on its outer race, pleeeaaasse?!?!
Just for you buddy.

w_b

Part is in house. Looks to me like it's subbd out to a shop. Hopefully a local shop. Very nondescript.
Giggety.

Here you go @serviceguy :

image2 (2).jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

serviceguy

Part is in house. Looks to me like it's subbd out to a shop. Hopefully a local shop. Very nondescript.
Giggety.

Here you go @serviceguy :

View attachment 175474

View attachment 175475

View attachment 175473
From the look of it I would say 45deg? As I mentioned, the writing is on the actual bearing, most likely on the outer sleeve as Outer diameter x Inner diameter x height inner chamfer/outer chamfer (but sometimes they change the order)...

40x53x7 45/45

acb537s.jpg

52x40x6.5 36/45
Replacement-Headset-Bearings-Single-52mm-x-40mm-x-6.5mm-3645-Degree.jpg

Attachments

• Bearing_8457_large.jpg
    Bearing_8457_large.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom