I NEED A BIKE!!!...Please help me!

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
...Okay, well I don't NEED a bike, but I do REALLY REALLY want one. I've wanted a MTB for probably over three years now and the want is greater that ever!

I joined this site a while back and lurk on here and MTBR quite frequently, and just can't stop wanting a bike! And now I really want a nice quality bike because after just wanting for so long, I got my friend into wanting one too. Long story short, this past fall we took the two ten year old rigid's he had in his garage that we pulled from the depths. The one I rode was a Specialized Hardrock and he had a Trek Jetta edition. We got some new tires and tubes, and went and hit up Hartshorne(I'm within 20 minutes from there). The bikes only lasted us three rides, as on the third ride, the rim on the Spec. was so badly bent and the brakes out of alignment that it was cutting a hole in the tire so I rode across the park back to the car with no back brake. So those bikes are out of commission, and we're both ready to get some nice new rides! And I'm ready to do it right!! (And not let this one get to the state these bikes were!)

Phew. So anyway, I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and drop some nice cash on a good bike. I'm willing to spend a little upwards of $2000, probably about $2500 max. I emphasize about because the one bike I already have in mind is $2600. I'll first admit I was pretty much decided on getting an Ibex, which I'm guessing some of you have heard of. It's the internet brand which I know causes some controversy, but that's for another thread. The bike had a really nice build spec, and looked to be a nice ride, so that's why I thought I had decided. Anyway, when they released images of their bike, DW-Link tried to hit them with patent infringement, and being a small company, they didn't want to fight it, so they are scrapping the '08 model of the bike I was going to get. So that has sent me back out on the prowl for a new bike.

I guess I should tell you what I'm looking for and give you some info...I'm a college student from Lincroft, currently attending Brookdale Community College. I'm about 5'10"-5'11" and about 180lbs. My home trail, I guess you could call it, as I'll probably ride there most frequently, is as I mentioned, Hartshorne. I'm looking for a nice FS rig, aimed towards all mountain and preferably/perhaps the stronger side of AM, sliding slightly towards a light-FR bike, as I'd want to occasionally go to Diablo to mess around and don't have money for two bikes....

Annnnywayyyy.....The model I am considering thus far is a Giant Reign X1 (For those interested, http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1284/29380/ ). I was/am thinking I'm kind of settled on this bike, but figured I'd take some opinions from some local knowledgeable folks like yourselves before spending this much on a bike, which all my friends think I am nuts for doing. (But what do they know, they've never even tried mountain biking!) I like the build on this bike, and to my somewhat small knowledge looks pretty solid. Strong enough to handle some trips to Diablo, and nice for the descents at Hartshorne, and apparently from the reviews I've read, not a terrible climber either! But the only thing is, I think of a lot of the other trails around here the I'm bound to travel to. Six Mile, Allaire, and others, that I have not personally been to, but have read about, seen pictures and videos of, and they seem pretty flat to me. So really, what all this is getting at, is do you guys think this bike is kind of overkill? Like I said, I would like something a little burlier like this, and I wouldn't have a problem having to push myself to carry the extra weight up hills, but don't know if this is perhaps a little TOO much...?

So I guess what am asking is what do you guys think of this bike and it suiting my needs? Any personal experience? Any opinions really? If not, perhaps suggestions to similar bikes to check out and research? Anything really to help point me in the right direction to finally getting a bike!!:eek:

Thanks in advance for any help!
Scott D.
:confused:

....Wow, just meant for this to be a short little "help me out/suggestions/opinions" post, turned into a life story. Thanks for putting up with that, lol.

hooples3

I work part time at a bike shop. Last year giant invited local employees out to Mountain creek (on them) to test ride there bikes for the day. In the past i thought there bikes were just OK. After that day I have a whole new respect for them. The Reign is an amazing bike. it pedals and rides better than a lot of bikes twice the money.. you cant go wrong.. if you want to test ride one ( if you haven't already) , let me know we should have a few in stock at the shop. I could also get you a pretty good deal. PM me if you have any questions

and good luck!!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Indeed Giant gives great bang for the buck. I had a Trance and was happy with it. And people seem to love their Reigns -- gobs of travel with a good spec for the cash. But fit is most important, as is a shop you can ask tons of ridiculous questions at and find out more about bike maintenance (the bent rim on your Spesh was most likely your fault and not the bike's), new parks to ride in and more. I can not recommend anything more than walking into as many convenient bike shops as possible and riding as many as you can. Ibex gives a great deal as do several online retailers (Randall Scott etc) but you get little more than the bike itself. The Stumpjumper, Prophet, Trance X, MK III, ETXS, Heckler, Dawg, and Dakar XAM are other 5-5.5" inch travel trailbikes in your price range. Also at five eleven you'll want to ride a 29er before you purchase a 26er. have fun!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
For the trails you have mentioned, I might steer you toward a Trance, Trance X or a Rush.

4" is really all the rear travel you need but I can see why you might want more.

I rode a 6" travel bike for a season. Now i ride no rear sus.

I have some leftover bikes that will suit you.

J_

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
<~~~~waiting for the rigid ss 29er progaganda.:D

Look into the trance x. The x1 is at the top of your price range and is a a really nice bike with a good spec list.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For the trails you ride, I would say you don't need rear suspension. Your money will go further and the bike will weight less. I would take Jdog up on the offer to check out some of his leftovers.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You maybe be better off with the Trance X than the Reign X. The Trance X has 5 inches which will be enough to tackle some diablo stuff and you will be good on your local trails too. I think the Reign will be overkill unless you plan to hit Diablo weekly.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess the question to the OP is, how often do you plan to hit Diablo? From a cost perspective is it cheaper to buy a bike more suited for the trails you plan to ride then just rent on Diablo day?

walter

Fourth Party
I agree with Norm. Buy a bike suited for the areas that you are going to ride the most. You can always rent when you goto Diablo. The amount of full suspension bikes down in central NJ seems to be dwindling and for a valid reason, all the travel really isnt needed. This is just my opinion and in the end you should buy what you like and what you want, don't listen to any of the people that are going to tell you to just buy a 29er, those bikes are just silly.:D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Holy war and peace Batman.

I only read the first line. Get a Niner!!! :cool:

Ben is not far off.

If you can ride a hardtail you can ride any bike. A hardtail will hone your skill set faster. It is a ton of fun to bomb down the trail on a dual sus bike but the skill set you will develop on a hardtail will make you a better rider. Promise.

Full suspension is really fun but for the money you are talking about you can get a really nice front suspension 29er.

I case in point might be the C-dale F29er 1

8FS291_blk.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
But if he wants to hit up Diablo, 29er would not be the best option. Hardtails do build the most skills though... Can't see those big wheels being fun to learn on at Diablo.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The amount of full suspension bikes down in central NJ seems to be dwindling and for a valid reason, all the travel really isnt needed.

I think this maybe be due to Halters and this site....I can't see giving up the trance yet, it is just too fun.....

dualfisted

2600 bux,,,,, I think you can certainly get the performance components you want, the climbing performance you'll need for Hartshorne and hillier places, and still get a rear shock. I'm riding fully rigid, and Allaire, Hartshorne and Clayton are my usual rides. However, there's plenty of dual suspension bikes in that price range that will climb well and do well on the occassional Diablo trip. Do I think the bike you're jockin' is overkill????? Definately, I'd go with something slightly better on the climb but still gives you the bounce for those bombing days. BEWARE, THESE GUYS WILL PUT YOU ON A RIGID SINGLE SPEED 29'er IF THEY HAVE THEIR WAY.

Top Bottom