I love America and Americans but the "American Dream" died...for the most part.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sometimes I wonder how much time people spent in the south or mid-west to substantiate their strong opinions about all the people that lives there. Just a thought.
Or anywhere really.

The most die-hard Taylor Ham eating NJ-is-the-best-place-ever people never seemed to have ventured too far from NJ.

It's not like NJ is a total shit hole or anything, but there's plenty of nice places out there.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I'm from the midwest and went to college in PA and now live here in NJ. My brother lives in GA and I've spent some time down there, too. Everywhere has it's pros and cons but a blanket judgement about the people is just way off base.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm from the midwest and went to college in PA and now live here in NJ. My brother lives in GA and I've spent some time down there, too. Everywhere has it's pros and cons but a blanket judgement about the people is just way off base.

this is very true. i did not mean to lump whole states together.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
this is very true. i did not mean to lump whole states together.
The one blanket statement you can make is that America now seems to be the place where people bitch and whine the most.

Oh I am not offended and I’m not whining. I think politics as of late (both sides) and social media has really been detrimental to society, though. There is almost no attempt to unify or uplift people based on common interests. Rather, it has become totally normal and seemingly acceptable to completely villianize anyone and everyone who doesn’t agree with “you” 100%. I think we are all smart enough here to realize that things are rarely that “black and white.” There is no longer any tolerance for the many shades of grey that most of us probably align with. Most people are good people, regardless of from where they come, race, creed, etc. Not everyone from the midwest is a redneck and not everyone from the South is a racist. Just like not everyone in NJ is Pauly D or Snooki from The Jersey Shore or Tony Soprano. One thing I have noticed in the places I have lived is that people who claim to be “enlightened“ are the ones that tend to pass judgement on people from places like the midwest. True ignorance, however, is making judgements about people and places of which there is no real first hand knowledge.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but I am sure operatives from places like China and Russia sit behind keyboards with anonymity and use Facebook, Twitter, etc. to stir the pot and create tension. Too many suckers hop on the bandwagon, consequences be damned. I personally know a couple people that were good friends a year ago and no longer talk due to going down the rabbit hole with politics and Facebook. It’s sad, really.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but I am sure operatives from places like China and Russia sit behind keyboards with anonymity and use Facebook, Twitter, etc. to stir the pot and create tension.
Tried not to do this but the pot IS stirring right here CNN MSNBC FOX TIMES WASHINGTON POST CELEBRITIES SPORTS ATHLETES ELITES FACEBOOK TWITTER. it's only to the glee of our adversaries, yes you can add their influence but we literally have opinion journalists with very few facts if any voiced daily. Listen to those major news sources tell the story by verbatim, everyone has a scripted talking point to inform the sheep. I for one have turned it all off, I got no time for this :)

serviceguy

Tried not to do this but the pot IS stirring right here CNN MSNBC FOX TIMES WASHINGTON POST CELEBRITIES SPORTS ATHLETES ELITES FACEBOOK TWITTER. it's only to the glee of our adversaries, yes you can add their influence but we literally have opinion journalists with very few facts if any voiced daily. Listen to those major news sources tell the story by verbatim, everyone has a scripted talking point to inform the sheep. I for one have turned it all off, I got no time for this :)
While a perfectly understandably position, the risk is to eventually find yourself in a real life version of the scenario portrayed by the mildly amusing and all around bad movie Idiocracy...

Cassinonorth

I’m not a conspiracy theorist at all but I am sure operatives from places like China and Russia sit behind keyboards with anonymity and use Facebook, Twitter, etc. to stir the pot and create tension. Too many suckers hop on the bandwagon, consequences be damned. I personally know a couple people that were good friends a year ago and no longer talk due to going down the rabbit hole with politics and Facebook. It’s sad, really.

There's no theory there, it's 100% happening. It's not even super hard to find. Us vs them (right vs left) is a fantastic way to keep the class war from actually happening. If everyone is just mad at their neighbors they won't have time to realize wealth is being sucked from the middle class.

I have no idea how we find our way out of it as a country when everyone has their own echo chamber with the most radical being the loudest.

1TrackMind

I don’t doubt the divisional impact of social media, irresponsible “news” media and foreign influence, but also attribute much of the unrest and division to the natural turbulence of a power struggle between two large generations transferring power, the boomers and millennials. The 60s were pretty derisive and turbulent as well (or so I’m told) as the boomers were becoming old enough to become influential, generating a push back from the old guard. things will settle down in time and then the cycle will repeat. I’m hopeful the urban migration brought on by covid will create more purple regions, and generate more actual person to person interactions that will erode the edges of the extreme positions on both sides.

Top Bottom