I love America and Americans but the "American Dream" died...for the most part.

rustynuts

I've been to the Lk Norman area a number of times for extended (10 day) vacations, and long weekends.
plenty to do, landscape rolls like much of nj. i even saw snow flurries once, and played golf later in the day.
It is more popular now than when i was going 15 years ago - but has a major speedway, a pro bass shop,
and a place to wakeboard - what else ya need? whitewater center? yeah, they got that.
My Aunt and Uncle live on Lake Norman. I find it to be beautiful and as you described. The power plant in the distance, scares me a bit. The building going on in Mooresville with all of the land clearing is also another hesitation. I was just there about 5 weeks ago and the congestion driving around resembles Jersey, where that wasn't the case.
My parents lived in Charlotte for 5 years and moved to Florida. Mecklenburg County is just expanding way to quickly and the traffic was always bonkers, for my retired parents, who would take backways, etc. They just witnessed so much building.

rick81721

Lothar
I didn't say that. You said that everywhere else is better. You're wrong, at least when it comes to mountain biking.

True, I was speaking of overall living - and of course all of this is personal preference, like most things in life

dmkalemba

My landlord retired to Southport, NC 8 years ago. Just sold to move back. They hated it there, but they could just be weird.
My mom moved there for about 10yrs. Saint James plantation. She enjoyed it fire the most part but it's too difficult to get to for people visiting. Not cheap either.. Also she is pretty liberal and he development was definitely very right leaning... she moved back and is enjoying a 55+ community in Brick

rick81721

Lothar
Don't know that we'd fit into the political landscape, but to tell you the truth Monmouth county kinda scares us!

Who cares about politics? We moved to FL for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only: 1) it was the warmest climate as close to NJ as possible and 2) it was financially a favorable place for retirees (taxes and cost of living). Being a republican state was just a nice bonus! Seriously I don't understand why people can't get along with others of different political views. We have friends all across the political spectrum - we agree to disagree and move on. Even wifey was a democrat when we got married 34 years ago - she foolishly voted for Dukakis and Clinton! Tho now she is more conservative than me :D

JerseyPete

Who cares about politics? We moved to FL for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only: 1) it was the warmest climate as close to NJ as possible and 2) it was financially a favorable place for retirees (taxes and cost of living). Being a republican state was just a nice bonus! Seriously I don't understand why people can't get along with others of different political views. We have friends all across the political spectrum - we agree to disagree and move on. Even wifey was a democrat when we got married 34 years ago - she foolishly voted for Dukakis and Clinton! Tho now she is more conservative than me :D
You and @thegock could ride together peacefully??
GIF laff rod vinylme - animated GIF on GIFER

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

you moved to far south NJ - you hunt and fish. and i don't think you are prejudice against various social or political alignments.
ain't like that everywhere. go live where they fly the confederate battle flag - still. communities where they are not happy about the influx of yanks.

Cassinonorth

I somehow didn't picture you as a Randy Moss fan.

you moved to far south NJ - you hunt and fish. and i don't think you are prejudice against various social or political alignments.
ain't like that everywhere. go live where they fly the confederate battle flag - still. communities where they are not happy about the influx of yanks.

Plenty of places you'll get the stink eye for being out on Sunday morning and not being in church either.

rick81721

Lothar

there are yahoos everywhere - even nj!

https://weirdnj.com/stories/local-heroes-and-villains/camp-nordland-bund/

we actually seriously considered hawaii - would've been perfect for mountain biking - perfect climate and big mountains to climb. but too far away - you basically become cut off from family. if we didn't have a kid tho, we'd probably be there...

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

serviceguy

Sometimes I wonder how much time people spent in the south or mid-west to substantiate their strong opinions about all the people that lives there. Just a thought.

Top Bottom