I love America and Americans but the "American Dream" died...for the most part.

rick81721

Lothar
Don't most people sell and buy at the same time? At least, I know I'd have to sell if I wanted to move. In that case, it would make sense if you wanted to downgrade now. At least that's how I see it. If housing prices are all affected by the same percentage increases. You'd make more money selling your expensive house than you'd lose buying a cheaper house. If you wanted to upgrade, however, you'd be getting the shaft in this market. Better to wait for the bubble to bust.

Yeah usually except for first (and last) time buyers. Also some people (like us!) sold a more expensive house in nj and downsized to a cheaper townhouse.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Yeah usually except for first (and last) time buyers. Also some people (like us!) sold a more expensive house in nj and downsized to a cheaper townhouse.
It doesn’t matter if you bought high and you are under water once a housing correction happens. Ideally you would borrow money now at a low rate, sell your home, rent a bit and rebuy when prices cone down. I saw a house that sold in rumson for $1.2mil in 17 going for $1.8mil now!
Also, wait til the next Archegos unwinds. This country is leveraged higher than it ever has been. When shit unwinds(and it will) people are going to be fucked.

rick81721

Lothar
It doesn’t matter if you bought high and you are under water once a housing correction happens. Ideally you would borrow money now at a low rate, sell your home, rent a bit and rebuy when prices cone down. I saw a house that sold in rumson for $1.2mil in 17 going for $1.8mil now!
Also, wait til the next Archegos unwinds. This country is leveraged higher than it ever has been. When shit unwinds(and it will) people are going to be fucked.

For us it doesn't matter - we bought our primary house in fl 4 years ago and plan to never sell it. The 2nd townhouse in nj is temporary as long as our son stays in nj. If he moves elsewhere, we are outta there for good.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just passed on an opportunity down in the Raleigh Durham area of NC, and now a second one is coming along and is offering some decent incentives for the relocation. Looks like cost of living is overall cheaper and economic growth is happening, but talk about developing... overcrowded schools, houses inches from each other... I’m not sure if I would be moving to somewhere better/different or one that is just going to end up with NJ problems sooner than later. As an example, there’s no way they can’t not build more schools and find ways to pay for them.

I reached out to MTBNJ NC expert Pearl and it sounds like pretty nice living right now.

Anyone else have an opinion on NC? Know anyone who has transferred there? Sounds like lots of NJ people move there.

JerseyPete

I just passed on an opportunity down in the Raleigh Durham area of NC, and now a second one is coming along and is offering some decent incentives for the relocation. Looks like cost of living is overall cheaper and economic growth is happening, but talk about developing... overcrowded schools, houses inches from each other... I’m not sure if I would be moving to somewhere better/different or one that is just going to end up with NJ problems sooner than later. As an example, there’s no way they can’t not build more schools and find ways to pay for them.

I reached out to MTBNJ NC expert Pearl and it sounds like pretty nice living right now.

Anyone else have an opinion on NC? Know anyone who has transferred there? Sounds like lots of NJ people move there.
CARY NC as in Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees? My wife once talked about it with a company transfer. Seems like a lot of people go to that area. She now is thinking FL. She knows many snowbirds in Naples and Venice FL with a house still in NJ.

How do you segment your seasonal time? How much time in each season do you really enjoy?
One thing I have been thinking about is how often I need winter. Would a two week vacation somewhere in snow places do it for me, or do I need more than that.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
CARY NC as in Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees? My wife once talked about it with a company transfer. Seems like a lot of people go to that area. She now is thinking FL. She knows many snowbirds in Naples and Venice FL with a house still in NJ.

How do you segment your seasonal time? How much time in each season do you really enjoy?
One thing I have been thinking about is how often I need winter. Would a two week vacation somewhere in snow places do it for me, or do I need more than that.
My kids are still young and love the snow so that’s definitely an issue. My son just took to surfing (hoping my daughter takes to it this year) so I need warm too. Living in Cary would mean our morning trips in the spring and summer to surf wouldn’t happen - it’s too far. Lots of stuff to consider.

That Cary acronym is fantastic haha.

Cassinonorth

Trying desperately to get my parents to sell their 1600 sq ft home and downsize but no luck. They're barely even home at the same time. It's crazy to me.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just visited friends living in the greater Asheville area. They are truly happy about there move. But they are retired now and so is most of the folks living in there area or second home owners. Full out mountain living and growing at every corner. I could definitely be happy to live there as Asheville was cool and weird and living 30 minutes away is perfect. We are looking for our future living and this area is on the list. I do need some Tennessee time also because taxes. Biggest complaint are not Yankees but Floridians moving to the area, then again I could be wrong as most of those floridians were NY/NJ folks who didn't like Florida 😁

Cassinonorth

NC (Raleigh specifically) is on the short list of potential landing spots if we do ever decide to leave NJ. I could probably make 50% more down there, unfortunately teachers make half so salary wise would be close to a wash...but the CoL would obviously favor NC heavily.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

I've been to the Lk Norman area a number of times for extended (10 day) vacations, and long weekends.
plenty to do, landscape rolls like much of nj. i even saw snow flurries once, and played golf later in the day.
It is more popular now than when i was going 15 years ago - but has a major speedway, a pro bass shop,
and a place to wakeboard - what else ya need? whitewater center? yeah, they got that.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just visited friends living in the greater Asheville area. They are truly happy about there move. But they are retired now and so is most of the folks living in there area or second home owners. Full out mountain living and growing at every corner. I could definitely be happy to live there as Asheville was cool and weird and living 30 minutes away is perfect. We are looking for our future living and this area is on the list. I do need some Tennessee time also because taxes. Biggest complaint are not Yankees but Floridians moving to the area, then again I could be wrong as most of those floridians were NY/NJ folks who didn't like Florida 😁
You check out the Hendersonville & Brevard areas? Both have downtowns, but once you get out it's pretty rural and less expensive. Less hectic than the Asheville area where there's still a ton of people/traffic.

That general area is a great place to probably go for great mountains. It's on my short list.

rick81721

Lothar

Do it. I know people who have retired there from work - still love it. Anywhere is better than NJ!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You check out the Hendersonville & Brevard areas? Yup when we rode dupont. We were staying at lake junaluska next to waynesville, another excellent town. What I thought was cool is seem that area rejects strip malls and favors towns, almost every town we visited was vibrant.

Top Bottom