I have all day to burn

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Elm Ridge is a gem. Worth the trip for sure. Sample loop:
4C773518-41C3-4B82-AC23-407B046F125B.jpeg

Jockey Hill and Onteora Lake aren’t far from there either. Also ride worthy.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've ridden jockey and onteora before though probably 2007ish so refresher for sure.

Kevin ( @Fat Trout ) and I is starting to look like we are hitting rattling creek. Main reason every place i get feedback in Scranton is not SS friendly. The one place that is ( Lackawanna) I've been to a bunch. New SS bike needs a SS friendly park. Saving elm for @JimN.

onetracker

I've ridden jockey and onteora before though probably 2007ish so refresher for sure.

Kevin ( @Fat Trout ) and I is starting to look like we are hitting rattling creek. Main reason every place i get feedback in Scranton is not SS friendly. The one place that is ( Lackawanna) I've been to a bunch. New SS bike needs a SS friendly park. Saving elm for @JimN.
The trails in NE PA are chucky, punchy and raw. LSP is an exception. Not a ton of flow which makes geared bikes a better option IMO. I do not ride my SS out this way nor do I see a ton of folks riding SS in NE PA. Although, I have a friend who lives in WB who rides all of these trails on a SS with flats and work boots and has a blast.

onetracker

Everything rides well in both directions Rocks Ridge trails and Rattling Creek Trail and not to be missed. There is a newer map that shows the new trails that are under construction but this classic map is all you need to have a great day trip! Enjoy! You will have a blast!!!

onetracker

The IMBA EPIC is a good loop and parking at the East End Snowmobile Parking Lot right up from Glen Park is a great place to start for a day trip. I have ridden the version on TF and have raced a modified version a few times. If you have some gas left after the Epic; go across the street from the lot and ride Stone Cabin and Rugged Trails; super fun.

Also notice the primitive campsites during your ride. They make excellent base camps for longer trips in the future.

JDurk

The IMBA EPIC is a good loop and parking at the East End Snowmobile Parking Lot right up from Glen Park is a great place to start for a day trip. I have ridden the version on TF and have raced a modified version a few times. If you have some gas left after the Epic; go across the street from the lot and ride Stone Cabin and Rugged Trails; super fun.

Also notice the primitive campsites during your ride. They make excellent base camps for longer trips in the future.
I've raced Rattling Epic 3 times from '15-'17 and all started further west with the climb up to the hand glider launch. Hit all the good stuff connected with fireroads. Here's '17. https://www.strava.com/activities/935383774

onetracker

I've raced Rattling Epic 3 times from '15-'17 and all started further west with the climb up to the hand glider launch. Hit all the good stuff connected with fireroads. Here's '17. https://www.strava.com/activities/935383774
That was the original course; several editions of the race started from in town. I think the ‘19 race went back to that starting location. IMO if you are riding for fun, why climb that fire road from the West Lot? Longer drive in from NJ and there is nothing out that way except the picnic grove. I believe there are some new trails being built on the West Side but they are not finished. I have been camping at the sites closest to the HG launch which is a good central spot for multi day adventures.

IMO the Epic from the East side is really good for a day trip as you origionally mentioned. But options are good!!!

JDurk

That was the original course; several editions of the race started from in town. I think the ‘19 race went back to that starting location. IMO if you are riding for fun, why climb that fire road from the West Lot? Longer drive in from NJ and there is nothing out that way except the picnic grove. I believe there are some new trails being built on the West Side but they are not finished. I have been camping at the sites closest to the HG launch which is a good central spot for multi day adventures.

IMO the Epic from the East side is really good for a day trip as you origionally mentioned. But options are good!!!
Yes, the race used to be a 50miler starting in town. If riding for fun, I wouldn't chose to start with that climb either.

Fat Trout

I'm pumped.

I told my wife thinking I might catch some crap and she made her own plans without telling me too. Perfect. Always better to ask forgiveness than permission anyway lol.

teabagger11

Things have changed at moon lake and for the better it is hard to just plot out a route for someone I'm always happy to show peeps around I have routes that work for me and others have routes that work for me the nice thing about moon is you are never far from where you started its not a big place hard to get lost

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm pumped.

I told my wife thinking I might catch some crap and she made her own plans without telling me too. Perfect. Always better to ask forgiveness than permission anyway lol.
Ha don't kid yourself, fishing season just ended for you now your in her space on the weekends.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Happened to run across a map for Moon Lake in WB for future reference....
Not meaning to further derail Matty's thread, but the mention of riding in the Wilkes-Barre area caught my interest. My parents were born and raised there, and almost all of my extended family has been in the city and surrounding Wyoming Valley towns. We vacationed at Harvey's Lake every summer for most of my growing up, and that area is a big part of who I am.

I've never made a concerted effort to find out about riding in that locale, but I'm curious to hear more about the scene there, if there is one.

onetracker

Not meaning to further derail Matty's thread, but the mention of riding in the Wilkes-Barre area caught my interest. My parents were born and raised there, and almost all of my extended family has been in the city and surrounding Wyoming Valley towns. We vacationed at Harvey's Lake every summer for most of my growing up, and that area is a big part of who I am.

I've never made a concerted effort to find out about riding in that locale, but I'm curious to hear more about the scene there, if there is one.
Harvey’s Lake! My wife grew up in Mahoopany. We spend a bunch of time in that area visiting with family.

There is a scene; Around Town Bikes and Cedar Bikes. Rich at ATB built a steel ATB frame for me. Cool guys. Not a huge scene but enough to build and maintain trails from LSP to da Moon.

Top Bottom