I have all day to burn

onetracker

Moosic is always a good time. I also have been Riding more at Merli Sarnoski lately. South trails are flowy and climby. North and East trails are rocky/techy. There is some new twisty and bermy stuff in the northeast section of Lackawanna state park that’s worth riding. One trail is called Bermie Senders, so you get the drift. Mountain Top is also amazing, but being game lands and it’s hunting season I don’t think Saturday would be an ideal day there. Not sure if I’ll be in PA this coming weekend but will check back on this thread through the week.
When did you last ride Merli? Wondering about conditions? Also nice that there is no hunting at Merli.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you been to Moon Lake? It's near my dad and I enjoy riding there.
No this is whole point to ride new places. I've been to Lackawanna a bunch but wanted to hit the other stuff around Scranton. I am leaning towards this area over elm ridge now based on @Norm take. Dont want to split my day up. I will hit elm with @JimN as he seems to have a plan. Rattling creek is definitely on the to do list.

goldsbar

Moosic is worth the drive because it's so different. One half looks very much like NJ forest. The other half has lots of low pines and blueberry bushes. It's not huge, but you won't be setting high average speeds on the trails. Three hours there will beat the crap out of you and you'll pretty much see the whole place. The tech isn't overly hard, but it is consistent.

JDurk

A Wissahickon/Belmont double in Philly could be an all day. Not sure how that fits in your 2hr travel window. Also, looks like a bit of rain in the days prior to Saturday.

But be warned Wiss has been crowded, so get there early and do that 1st, then hit Belmont.

roc

No this is whole point to ride new places. I've been to Lackawanna a bunch but wanted to hit the other stuff around Scranton. I am leaning towards this area over elm ridge now based on @Norm take. Dont want to split my day up. I will hit elm with @JimN as he seems to have a plan. Rattling creek is definitely on the to do list.
I have never been to those places in PA, but i have been to elm ridge, simply awesome!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
When did you last ride Merli? Wondering about conditions? Also nice that there is no hunting at Merli.
I rode Merli just this past Sunday. Trails are full of leaves and in spots are hard to follow but that makes it all the more challenging and fun. @mattybfat if you go, here is a recommended loop:
Start at parking lot. Ride till the blue arrow (there’s a trail there but it’s not on the TrailForks map). Head south and do Fern, then up zip line, then down Twister, then “Unnamed MS” from west to East, then Fox Rocks/My Brothers Trail, then get over to Boneyard (northern section) before ending back at the lot. You’ll find that the All Trails app has more trail detail than Trail Forks. You’ll see I’ve noted two areas. “Beware” indicates Porcupine Cliff Trail. I would pass on that right now. Very off camber and rooty with tons of leaves and very little trail tread with a decent drop if you slip. There’s a bypass...take it. As for “Be Prepared”... this is a fun trail going down (in either direction) but a fair amount of hike a bike going up. If you try it, know that the northern leg is very “sidewinder-like” and mainly dirt. The southern leg is mainly boulders with a trail woven in (like Split Rock at Wawayanda).
As for SS, I am a fair weather SS’er and couldn’t ride this place in one gear (other than 28x50 lol). If I’m out in PA this weekend I’ll post up and happy to meet up with you and onetracker.
ECE97F48-9469-474A-83D2-3D4C8E7F531D.jpeg

onetracker

I rode Merli just this past Sunday. Trails are full of leaves and in spots are hard to follow but that makes it all the more challenging and fun. @mattybfat if you go, here is a recommended loop:
Start at parking lot. Ride till the blue arrow (there’s a trail there but it’s not on the TrailForks map). Head south and do Fern, then up zip line, then down Twister, then “Unnamed MS” from west to East, then Fox Rocks/My Brothers Trail, then get over to Boneyard (northern section) before ending back at the lot. You’ll find that the All Trails app has more trail detail than Trail Forks. You’ll see I’ve noted two areas. “Beware” indicates Porcupine Cliff Trail. I would pass on that right now. Very off camber and rooty with tons of leaves and very little trail tread with a decent drop if you slip. There’s a bypass...take it. As for “Be Prepared”... this is a fun trail going down (in either direction) but a fair amount of hike a bike going up. If you try it, know that the northern leg is very “sidewinder-like” and mainly dirt. The southern leg is mainly boulders with a trail woven in (like Split Rock at Wawayanda).
As for SS, I am a fair weather SS’er and couldn’t ride this place in one gear (other than 28x50 lol). If I’m out in PA this weekend I’ll post up and happy to meet up with you and onetracker.
View attachment 143105
Thanks for the report. I am heading to Merli now.

For the record, IMO Moosic handles rain better than any other system in this region. So if it rains, unless it is biblical for many days, Moosic is a fine place to ride. Most trails are pretty rocky.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
moosic is no harder than jungle habitat imo

snow could be an issue for sedona in Feb

onetracker

I rode Merli today. Heavy leaf cover. You really cannot see the rocky goodness that makes Merli cool. IMO I would not drive 4 hours round trip to ride at Merli with the current conditions. Prompton is in better shape right now.

I still stand behind my recommendation in the Prompton thread. IMO go to Rattling. I spent 9-11 days (Cannot Remember Exactly) riding RC this summer over 3 camping trips. Amazing and they are building new trails. Much more SS friendly then Moosic, Prompton and Merli. That is all I got. Have fun!!!!!!!!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can also do Elm Ridge and Round Top in a single day, with lunch at Riedlbaur's in between.
Dude just park at Riedlbaur’s and go ride for the day. The enduro I did there was so freaking cool I’ve been wanting to go back and just enjoy the trails outside of race mode ever since. Then you finish with awesome German food at the end. You can’t lose.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude just park at Riedlbaur’s and go ride for the day. The enduro I did there was so freaking cool I’ve been wanting to go back and just enjoy the trails outside of race mode ever since. Then you finish with awesome German food at the end. You can’t lose.

That's exactly the plan. But we will also ride Elm Ridge first, because more riding > less riding.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No, I'm on call this weekend. We are doing this another weekend.
Phew! I have a race this Sunday and I want in on this. Elm ridge has been on my list and I’m obviously in to hitting Roundtop... don’t mind me just jumping into your plans lol.

Top Bottom