I found "Cascade" yesterday ...

Stocky

Sort of intentionally, sort of by accident. We took that hard left back up the hill were you see the sign for the "camp ground" and started the recon mission.
We initially went to far, we crossed the stream with the little narrow bridge, My buddy and I opted to ride thru the river, not ready just yet for the very narrow bridge .
We continued up the hill crossed the two boards in the mud and eventually ended up at a paved road, we back tracked over the bridge and found our way to Cascade, it's quite a trail, just seems to go on forever.
We encountered a mother bear and her two cubs just a short ways after coming off Cascade. We didn't bother them and they didn't bother us.
Also briefly stopped to talk to two guys who had also seen the bears as well and a pretty large bear roaming the woods solo.
Cascade is a great trail, it's tough, lots of hills and very narrow sections, but another fine compliment to the entire Mahlon experience.
It was getting late and we decided to call it a night and didn't even hit the parking lot side of Mahlon.
There were about 5 or 6 guys in the lot that we passed at some point on the trail.
That was me and my buddy in the White Suburban.

I'm looking forward to a 29'er to roll over all these rocky sections.Coming soon I hope .

I also did much better with my hill climbing, I read on the "Mtbn" forum. Someone suggested sliding your body forward to the edge of your seat while climbing. This clearly helped. I was still winded and completely our of breath but I rode up sections that in the past I was not able to. I this obviously centers my weight over the bike, no wheelies in the front and no slipping in the rear.

Mike

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Woo-hoo!

Sounds like you ran it CW. It is a much easier run CCW, more or less.

Now put a run together with Cascade, Stones Gate, & the Wall Re-route...'makes for a nice MD outing....

Stocky

Woo-hoo!

Sounds like you ran it CW. It is a much easier run CCW, more or less.

Now put a run together with Cascade, Stones Gate, & the Wall Re-route...'makes for a nice MD outing....

We came upon the overlook of the school and the school was on my left .

Which way did we run it ?

We intended to hit the Wall and Stone Gate etc... we started late and it was getting dark.

If "wives" permit we will do that route on Sunday morning. Not sure if they will let us ride for that long. My wife is cool, but 2 of the guys have "morning bike ride curfews" imposed by their wives.

Molasses

I saw the Family of Bears on Tuesday Night

I was at the bottom of the Parking Lot side of the Park- bottom of Devil's Staircase, across the pond and just past the up and over little singetrack section that leads to the double track up to the parking lot. Thought I might have been in trouble as Momma was on one side of the double track and Little Cub #2 was on the other (I was still a bit down from them but never a good idea to be anywhere near a spot that is in between Momma and the cubs) I held up and Momma just led the two little buds away...

My new nemesis (I mean favorite trail :D- thanks Traveling Hooligans!!!) is beaver dam trail- that kicks my tail although I am getting alittle better everytime, but I still need to go back and hit certain sections a couple of time before I clear certain obstacles... although the rock garden right at the top of the small hill (just past the intersection) just baffles me...

If you are not familar with this particular trail, as I believe this trail is called beaver damn- it is the trail that you hit after bottom of the wall, through the following rocky section, over the little bridge and just past the little river bed with the entrance to the right... at the next intersecton I bear left and it ultimately leads me up to the double track intersection that when I bear right leads to Stone gate.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it's called Beaver Brook? That direction is not the fun direction to do that trail, IMO.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
We came upon the overlook of the school and the school was on my left .

Which way did we run it ?

You ran it clock-wise. I think it is easier the other direction. You trade the big climb (up to the HS overlook) for a couple smaller (yet fairly steep) climbs down by the creek. Plus, it is a fun downhill run from the HS overlook down to the creek.

Stocky

I found the clockwise route kinda by accident, now ya want me to figure out how to do it counter clockwise, and all this before my 6am ride tommorro morning.

Your way does sound easier.

I'll need to think about this.

:hmmm::hmmm:

Top Bottom