I drank the Kool-aide ...and it was good !

Stocky

Many thanks to all the regulars who answered all of my noobie questions over the last 4 months.
Last week I sold the Trek 4300 that I purchased used on Craigslist . I rode it for 4 months.
and on the 7th day God said buy a 29'er and it will be good.

I went for a casual ride at the Tourne to get a feel for it, I need to get used to the new thumb shifters. It's not the same when I can't look down and see a number to tell me what gear I'm in.

The bike did everything I've read the 29'ers can do.

The bike doesn't feel very different other than I feel like I'm in a sitting in the front seat of a big old caddy. It's feels very roomy between me and the bars.

It handled great, Just point it in the direction you wanna go and there she went.She stearing was great in the tight sections, she rode the bumps like a champ. I was climbing hills with relative ease.

This weekend will be the test, as we will ride Sat,Sun, and Mon at Mahlon.

I know, the bike looks ridiculous with those double water bottles. All in good time. The Camel-bak is something that's gonna have to grow on me.
Here's a few snaps with the cell phone.
Rig2.jpg

Rig1.jpg

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dude sweet ride,
I tested a GT 29'er two weeks ago at allaire and the force was very strong to get one..

TonyC

Congrats on the new ride.. FS 29er great choice.

ps, got to get some clipless pedals..

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
How could you possibly be riding that bike without a 70mm stem??

Stocky

Congrats on the new ride.. FS 29er great choice.

ps, got to get some clipless pedals..

No clipless for me, not anytime soon, I like my platforms ( crank bros. 50/50 ) and I like to fall without the bike being attached to me. I prefer to have the ground break my fall and not some tangled aluminum.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No clipless for me, not anytime soon, I like my platforms ( crank bros. 50/50 ) and I like to fall without the bike being attached to me. I prefer to have the ground break my fall and not some tangled aluminum.

you will rarely fall and stay clipped in, unless you are going slow or just tip over. what is worse is when you fall and the bikes lands on top of you in some fashion, which f-ing hurts!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

As the official MTBNJ Gravity Checker I can tell you I've never still been clipped in when the action stops during a gravity check.

The only place ya' gotta' be on top of the fact you're clipped in is in slow technical sections. If you don't remember to twist your heal out to unclip when you feel the need to dab, well, then you fall over. Small risk/consequences for what clipless pedals do for you.

Stocky

Just like I said a while back that I don't think I'll switch from water bottles to Camel bak, give it time and I'm sure I'll have one strapped to my back and at some point I'll be clipless.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Just like I said a while back that I don't think I'll switch from water bottles to Camel bak, give it time and I'm sure I'll have one strapped to my back and at some point I'll be clipless.

Water bottles all the way for me! Well, except in the winter...and that has more to do with carrying more stuff to be prepared if something goes wrong.

Glancing Aft

Sweet bike man. Someone I ride with a bit out here has one and they kill with it. I'm sure you'll love! I do wonder how long it will be till you take out that lower water bottle cage going over a log.

PS, I never thought I'd say this but I miss the Tourne.

BiknBen

Just like I said a while back that I don't think I'll switch from water bottles to CamelBak, give it time and I'm sure I'll have one strapped to my back and at some point I'll be clipless.

One muddy ride will convince you to convert to CamelBak. The lower bottle is is in the path of the mud/dirt from your front tire. I don't think dirt adds any nutritional value to your energy drink.

Clip-less pedals are a must for all XC riding. The clip-less pedals keep your feet on the pedals which give you more control. Yeah, sure, you can put you foot down real easy. The rest of us can apply more force downward on the pedal (because our feet are in the optimum position on the pedal) and even pull upwards. This helps us maintain momentum and get through those technical sections without the need to put a foot down.

Save your money and get a decent pair of shoes and pedals.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Nice.

That's a phat whip, kid - er, a nice new bicycle.

+1 on the clipless
+2 on the hydration pack

Enjoy the new wheels!

Stocky

I'm so aware that that lower bottle will be coated with Mahlon mud very soon or be trashed going over a log.

I'm thinking I might go out today and get just a small Camel-Bak with not much room for anything else. Basically just to hold water, and see how it goes from there.

don

How could you possibly be riding that bike without a 70mm stem??

haha, yeah, but with the 29" wheel the correct stem length would be a 72.5mm - 15 deg rise. At least that's what Lee McCormack said on his site :D

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried the Kool Aid.. And I liked It...!!

Thats crazy. I Demo'd a hifi Deluxe 29er last night. I took it down to Chimney rock and had a blast. I wouldnt call it riding on little pockets of air or marshmallows..... but it was pretty sweet...

Now I have to buy it...:)

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
29ers, clipless, helmets, when will the propaganda cease? Good luck, I like the white/blue.

Stocky

I bought a Camel Bak today, "Mule" I believe it's called 100oz of liquid.
I just couldn't stand the look of that water bottle on the lower tube.

let's see how I like the ride after 3 days on my back .

Top Bottom