I drank the coolaid... and liked it.

f2f4

I hate Jason.

In a good way.

I stopped by Halters to pick up a few things for my ride, and he offers me a demo on a Haro Mary SS at Six Mile.

Turns out, I loved it. I was somehow going faster without gears, than I ever have gone on my 26" geared hardtail.
It was so cool just pedaling. It wasn't as hard uphill as I thought it would be. And damn, downhill, that thing can hold momentum like nobody's business. Must be those 29" wheels.
Even without a front suspension fork the ride was still pretty smooth.

Plus I really liked the new bridge and obstacle sections at Six Mile. :)

So now I want one of them. A lot.
Kinda good timing, as I have turned my hardtail into a DJ/urban bike anyways.
Kinda bad timing, because now I have to come up with $800+. :p

TommyCrash

I almost drank the Cool-Aid. He offered me the Mary and I accepted and just like you said, enjoyed the simpicity of just peddeling, and going faster than expected with a SS. I was very close to getting a 29er and a SS because I ride 6M a lot. Perfect for there, just like he said. In the long run I declined and got a full squish 26 (from him) that I love and because I'm old and need the wheels to move on linkages under me. Maybe a 29er is in the future, but the wheels need to up and down, not just forward.

BiknBen

f2f4 said:
I stopped by Halters to pick up a few things for my ride, and he offers me a demo on a Haro Mary SS at Six Mile.

That has happened to a number of us. Jason is getting really good at it. Basically, you walk into the shop and say you are looking for a bike. He says, "Take that one and bring it back tomorrow. I'll have a new one built up by the time you get back!" :hmmm:

I bought the Mary after Demoing once at six mile.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm glad you got to experience 29er enlightenment.

after riding my 29er for as long as i have, i have a hard time convincing myself to ride anything else for x/c... and i want a full suspension ride... but i think its going to have to be a 29er.

---

ben - as a side note - your new avatar is creepy.

like eyes wide shut creepy.

if you go riding, you should wear a mask like that... and if you have a bell on your handlebars, i think you should change it to a single piano key... so you can have that one piano note soundtrack following you where ever you ride. a little bulky for the handlebars, but i think the effect would be worth it.

the only reason i say go for the piano sound is because a bike bell being hit repeatedly isn't too intimidating, but the piano timbre works.

Stocky

Who is this Jason you all speak of and maybe I should go introduce myself and figure out a way to upgrade from my Trek 4300.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jason, aka jdog from halters. he's the shiznit. hit refresh a couple times and click the banner. that way we can justify the site to him. :D

f2f4

This weekend I am going to (try to) buy a used roadbike at a bike swap at D&Q. Hopefully someone will have a used bike for sale that's my size for under $400... maybe 500.

Then I'll have to see Jason for some guidance on this whole "road riding" thing.

After that, I am going to start saving up for the 29er!! I dream about that thing. :)
Once I have that I'll get rid of my current hardtail, and buy a proper DJ bike... gah, this never ends!
I am only 20 and now I am wanting 3 bikes, a plane (flying is addictive :( ), and new lenses for my Canon... my bank acct is going to hate me.

Maybe in the meantime I can take the 29er out for another ride... just to be sure. :D

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I am only 20 and now I am wanting 3 bikes, a plane (flying is addictive :( ), and new lenses for my Canon... my bank acct is going to hate me.

Your bank account will hate you more when you're married, w/a mortgage, and critters running around...trust me :D

Flying?! Ack...what is a gallon of 100LL going for these days...$5-$6?

Top Bottom